Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2000 Itasca Suncruser Basement Air?

I have a two year old basement air unit that use to have elect heat pumps that would come on if I wanted heat and if it was too cold for the heat pump the gas would come on. Sometimes the heat pump would come on for awhile and then the gas would come on if the heat pump was not getting us warmed up fast enough. Sometimes if weather was in the 40s only gas would come on. But this year when trying to get the heat pump to come on, temps in the 60's, only the gas would come on. What should I look at to see why my heat pump is not working???
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I just had a capacitor replace in our basement air by ABC Bus in Faribault, Mn. The tech told me he had replaced four or five basement airs this last couple weeks.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I just had a capacitor replace in our basement air by ABC Bus in Faribault, Mn. The tech told me he had replaced four or five basement airs this last couple weeks.

Was your issue that the heat pump would not come on? Did your air work ok but no heat pump such as issue I have??
Old 08-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Was your issue that the heat pump would not come on? Did your air work ok but no heat pump such as issue I have??
No, our issue was that the AC would come on but the circulating fan would not and the AC would then shut down. Strangely it worked OK for gas heat or heat pump. It turned out to be a weak capacitor which they replaced.

The Tech told me when I picked it up that often it is a result of the unit not getting enough voltage for one reason or another. He said sometimes it's the power cord, but ours didn't work on the genset either. Then a weak capacitor doesn't work.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Rather than take the shotgun approach by running down everyone's suggestions, it's better to download the service manual for your model A/C and carefully follow the troubleshooting guide. Otherwise you risk going around in circles or come to an erroneous conclusion. You'll need a multimeter to check the presence of the various voltages.

It could be pretty much anything, including your thermostat.

Having said that, read your thermostat operating manual. I think the gas vs. heat pump issue is dependent on the differential between the set temp and the room temp, not the room temp or outside temp. As I recall, the threshold differential is 5 degrees. Therefore if the room temp is 65 degrees and you set the thermostat to 72 degrees (a 7 degree differential), the gas will come on until the room temp rises to 70 degrees at which point the heat pump should kick in.

Try this out by setting your thermostat to only a couple of degrees over the room temp and see if the heat pump kicks in.

If that doesn't work, go the troubleshooting route.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Could anyone offer the trouble shooting guide Link?
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here you go. I'm not sure if this is your exact model, but I think it should work. Worst case is you need to Google your model + "service manual":

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/rvp/6535heatpump.pdf

Did you try the thermostat setting process I described?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca