Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
Outer Banks of NC

2000 Chieftrain Stereo

I"m not lost in most car systems but the radio that came in the Motorhome the display was gone. When I got it it turned on and played on all channels. I did my best to figure it out but the left channel stopped working.
Got to looking and I understand 4 speakers this thing is running a extra speaker on both sides right and left of the RV so the radio is powering 6 speakers. i did mess with the plug ins on the back of the tv cable, sat and so on trying to figure out why its only getting digitial no analog channels but where is the centeral hub if you want to call it that so I can figure out why my left channel stopped working.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not the steroe guy you need, so I'll pass on that question!
But for the TV maybe let me check we are speaking the same?
When you say analog or digital, do you mean the over the air from the antenna?
That is one that lots miss getting an amp on the antenna turned on. Are you familiar with a tiny little button that is often located on a coax faceplate. Often hidden back in the end of some overhead compartment and really eay to miss as it can have a coax screwed to the connection the the switch is small enough to hide behind the coax!

Lots of different options on your RV, so it may be a number of different drawings to look over, so this is the TV set:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/132032.pdf

Maybe you can sort which you have by looking at what the Rv has and comparing to drawings?

If you have a crank up antenna, does it have a set of lights on the base where you crank? There should be a set of lights on when you get the switch turned on.
Idea being that when using cable, turn the tiny switch off but if using over the air (antenna?) turn it on and that makes the lights come on as well as an amp in the TV antenna head.
I think that will be what you have but then it is also true that folks change the connected parts. Like maybe somebody has swapped out the CD changer??

There may be some help with a color code they used on the coax. If the tape has not peeled off!!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/110138.pdf

Notice the colors, red, blu, grn marked on the cables? That can help figure some things!

It's like an Easter egg hunt! You just never know where folks hid things!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:54 AM   #3
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I'm not the steroe guy you need, so I'll pass on that question!
But for the TV maybe let me check we are speaking the same?
When you say analog or digital, do you mean the over the air from the antenna?
That is one that lots miss getting an amp on the antenna turned on. Are you familiar with a tiny little button that is often located on a coax faceplate. Often hidden back in the end of some overhead compartment and really eay to miss as it can have a coax screwed to the connection the the switch is small enough to hide behind the coax!

Lots of different options on your RV, so it may be a number of different drawings to look over, so this is the TV set:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/132032.pdf

Maybe you can sort which you have by looking at what the Rv has and comparing to drawings?

If you have a crank up antenna, does it have a set of lights on the base where you crank? There should be a set of lights on when you get the switch turned on.
Idea being that when using cable, turn the tiny switch off but if using over the air (antenna?) turn it on and that makes the lights come on as well as an amp in the TV antenna head.
I think that will be what you have but then it is also true that folks change the connected parts. Like maybe somebody has swapped out the CD changer??

There may be some help with a color code they used on the coax. If the tape has not peeled off!!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/110138.pdf

Notice the colors, red, blu, grn marked on the cables? That can help figure some things!

It's like an Easter egg hunt! You just never know where folks hid things!
Ya I'm learling that. LOL Here is the stereo wiring I found online but it does not say where the connections are. Wires are run through the roof so if I cant find where the wires come in to the central connection yep,, I"m easter egg hunting. LOL

https://www.etrailer.com/question-546283.html

Ya I got the amp on , on the tv amp. Have not checked the light on the antenna but I pick up 4 channels with it off 9 all digitial with it on.
Slide in camper is right beside it, has NO antenna other than the wire, I'm picking up 29 channels some ditigital some analog.
One of the owners not the last guy i'm guessing the one before him had a dish or some type internet or stereo receiver on the front. Wires are up there and a switch on the dish and heavy wire in the over head drivers compartment. I"m using that wire for my 4 camera monitor on the sun visor now.
Have a top of the line Marina TV antenna on the boat i'm thinking taking it off using it on the RV. I can charge the wire with 9 volts on top find it down stairs with a ohm meter then connect. I'm just puzzled at why i"m only picking up 9 channels when the camper is picking up 20 some without a antenna. Just the wire run to the top.
Last owner that had it a while had a dish.
All I need is air TV. Free TV. Max for now two days camping and we're on the beach with the golden in the sig picture or on the beach surf fishing with the Tahoe or inshore fishing with the boat. Why I have so many cameras. Like knowing whats around me and watching traffic while driving.
Got use to those side cameras on the peterbuilt last 20 years that was the first install/mod on mine.
You did enlighten me on the light on the antenna. That I didn't check but it did pick up 9 over 4 so when the green light on the amp is on, its helps but TV is saying only digitial no analog . Thats where I'm losing most of my channels. How large a easter egg basket do we get to hunt with. .
Have a 6 channel tire monitor working just have to finish sticking down the dash cover, and a heads up display gps that fits on top the dash.
Other owner had XM like most and I don't know why they cut the wires when they leave, I ordered antoher antenna cut the end off wired it onto his, XM radio is on the dog box in that picture with a ton of mess/AKA tools, You know I"m not going to show that.
Last one and this is funny. Dog box. AKA motor cover.
Got on youtube, one video said you have screws on the top I have carpet god I hope I don't have to take that carpet off to get this dog box opened.
Hole in the end towards the back of the RV I have not tried it yet but is every RV different or does that one hold have a hidden easter egg in there, just have to find the rigt socket and "Bingo" the top comes off.
For the record everything from the dog box back mama cleaned yesterday. I'm done modding back there. Just the two drivers riding seats forward and we're ready for our first adventure. GF taking things out the slide in moving to the RV. I moved the RV poll from by the dock to side of the building to many tree's over there so been a busy beaver after work , playing with the new to us toy. Best racing buddy, came over Sunday had to see my aftermarket toys i'm installing dang if he didn't go trade his 2008 in yesterday for a 2014 41 footer. His wife says every time he gets around me they ( you know how that goes) spend money. We were best friends and enemys when we lined up together. Drag racing. LOL
They spend the winters down at Lake Okeechobee back end of March. 3 months. There full time places you guys can rent here on the water for 400 a month. Carolina living you don't have to be rich to enjoy life. Fishing is off the charts, I moved up here for the fishing back in 2000. Just traveled all my life OTR so like a little kid now finally getting to tear under the christmas tree and play with everything being home.

You have been very helpful. Owe you one. Cookouts on me if you ever get this way. Like we say in Carolina I'll fatten you up.
I'm 90 mph working on this thing in the evenings replaced the outside stereo, more lights on the rear, transmission fans , air horns under the hood, I've been a adventure fixing this old gal up.
No sunvisor cover was harmed used a piece of starboard connected the monitor to the stair board not the sun visor strapped it in, so as few as holes are can be, but enough to install the toys.
My local Snyder RV dealer is kinds slack at information. Might have to look into another dealership where they know a tad more about parts and getting back to you.
I'll get it figured out. Few more days hunting easter eggs
basket is getting near full now.
Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	337041602_778557866946189_4054795590547326180_n.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	185457   Click image for larger version

Name:	334898056_607114067925012_4546901575666616793_n.jpg
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	185458  

Click image for larger version

Name:	334905410_2269011016604123_3022558729073421894_n.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	185459   Click image for larger version

Name:	334711078_758756585778412_9005779675187319233_n.jpg
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	185460  

Old 03-23-2023, 12:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay. lots of different things to talk about! One I'm way out of date on TV but think it is nearly all digital now with no analog likely to be found?
That really leaves me missing what you are saying on the TV??

But to me, the analog is when they used changes in the signal like AM and FM, but digital they make a signal using "bits" by turning the singal on and off really fast and then making the bits positive or negaive and other ways to make a code more like Morse code. Dozens/hundreds of different codes for different uses like telephone, data, computers and such.
Digital is so much faster and less prone to getting errors that not many use analog any more? But that may just be the different way we each are thinking.
If you are getting some TV over the antenna, it may be something less hard to solve.

There is a kind which needs to be tunred a certain way, so that the "wing" on top comes up and then can be turned around to get the best signal. Lots of people cal tham bat wings!
If that is what you have, is it possible checking to see it comes up as that gets it higher and then turning it around so it points toward the towers better would get you more stations?

Do you have the owners manual for your RV?
If not this is a link to it online and section 8 page 8-13 has info on several points on the antenna and parts that will be far better than me guessing?? But it also says optional??? So that leaves me wondering what you do really have. Your checking is better than my guessing!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...0Chieftain.pdf

For the motor cover that I call the "dog house" I would expect it to have a big Allen key gixmo somewhere on the side facing the rear. There should have been a big allen key in a bag of inof if folks did right and passed it along to you.

Look for info on that at page 9-4 but the idea is that there is a hook inside the cover whcih rotates as you turn the allen. Kind of like having your finger swivel to hook under a stud sticking out?
If they did not get the key to you, it is just a big one but I'm not up on what size, so you may have to try a few, possible 5/16 but that's really funky info!!

I normally work for a coffee when I see you!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:08 AM   #5
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Okay. lots of different things to talk about! One I'm way out of date on TV but think it is nearly all digital now with no analog likely to be found?
That really leaves me missing what you are saying on the TV??

But to me, the analog is when they used changes in the signal like AM and FM, but digital they make a signal using "bits" by turning the singal on and off really fast and then making the bits positive or negaive and other ways to make a code more like Morse code. Dozens/hundreds of different codes for different uses like telephone, data, computers and such.
Digital is so much faster and less prone to getting errors that not many use analog any more? But that may just be the different way we each are thinking.
If you are getting some TV over the antenna, it may be something less hard to solve.

There is a kind which needs to be tunred a certain way, so that the "wing" on top comes up and then can be turned around to get the best signal. Lots of people cal tham bat wings!
If that is what you have, is it possible checking to see it comes up as that gets it higher and then turning it around so it points toward the towers better would get you more stations?

Do you have the owners manual for your RV?
If not this is a link to it online and section 8 page 8-13 has info on several points on the antenna and parts that will be far better than me guessing?? But it also says optional??? So that leaves me wondering what you do really have. Your checking is better than my guessing!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...0Chieftain.pdf

For the motor cover that I call the "dog house" I would expect it to have a big Allen key gixmo somewhere on the side facing the rear. There should have been a big allen key in a bag of inof if folks did right and passed it along to you.

Look for info on that at page 9-4 but the idea is that there is a hook inside the cover whcih rotates as you turn the allen. Kind of like having your finger swivel to hook under a stud sticking out?
If they did not get the key to you, it is just a big one but I'm not up on what size, so you may have to try a few, possible 5/16 but that's really funky info!!

I normally work for a coffee when I see you!!
I"m a trucker. WE "CAN" Talk coffee. LOL
I think I might of created this issue on the stereo myself.
Not use to a stereo system running two stereos but I wired in two marina speakers under the outside stereo. Cut some wires back there.
Stereo comes on using the inside stereo switch on the dash. My guess the whole system is wired in 2 ohm, not 4 ohm because its running 6 speakers not 4.
think I might of cut the connect wires to mount the 7.4 inch speakers I added under the stereo. Before anyone starts screaming those pods add bass. Hated the twang of those little speakers. Will be replacing that stereo with a bluetooth so can run music off my phone.
Have not had a chance to get in there yet and see what I screwed up.
Have a feeling thats the issue. Out the door, GONE FISHING>