Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1999 Ultimate 40JD 330 CAT

Hello to all we are looking at this coach it is in really good cond. inside and out it has 79000 miles on it seemsto have all options offered at time of sale asking $55000 can anyone please help me out with any experience with a coach era and any maintance issues thank you in advance for any help
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Like I said on the other forum, we are really pleased with ours. That looks like a good price if everything is in good shape.
bsimonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

And you probably saw my reply to you on "the other forum" too. WE're very pleaserd with ours too.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
Hello to all we are looking at this coach it is in really good cond. inside and out it has 79000 miles on it seemsto have all options offered at time of sale asking $55000 can anyone please help me out with any experience with a coach era and any maintance issues thank you in advance for any help
Whitetop,
I have an 04 Journey 34H, Cat 330 with 55,000 miles on it. Here are some things you might look for in a used coach like this one:
1. have freightliner decode the warning messages if any in the "info" computer
2. are batteries and tires more than 5yrs old, these could need replacement
3. were the valve adjusted on time (50,000 maintenance, I believe)
4. do the gray and black water sensors still indicate accurately
5. check fan pulley bearing to see if it is worn
6. does the heat pump still heat and cool, can you hear a worn bearing when it starts up and runs?
7. do the tires have uneven wear?
8. have the front and rear grills, front cap and end cap, or fog lights come unglued or nearly so
9. does the J joint of the roof into the side walls look good or are some places unglued?
10. check the white nylon glides surround the slide beams still in good shape or need repair?
11. If you have a sharp convection microwave does it power off after 90 sec?
12. If you have built in 2way radios, do they still charge correctly?
13. do weatherproof seals on the roof still look good?
14. if you have a norcold refrigerator that was under recall, was the recall maintenance done?
15. how are front shocks? bouncing?
16. how many generator hours? has maintenance been performed?
17. black tank odors?
18. radiator clean with uniform air flow or covered with oily film?
19. carbon monoxide detector and fire extinguisher replaced?
20. oil change and other maintenance records available?

well, this is not a complete list but these are things that we (or others on this forum) had to deal with
hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 Journey, 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your replys.I looked at coach 2/23/12 and boy this thing looks nice, It was according to owner was kept inside when not in use and it looked like it. The exterior still has a very uniform high gloss shine,the tire code was 05 (need replaced) hydro. pump had small leak but still worked,also 2 rear jacks looked to have been leaking because there was wet dirt on them that looked like it had oil mixed with it.The propane tank had rust on it.The interior was very clean and nothing broken seems everthing was working dishwasher looked as new,ref.looked the same no water stains on celing,vents or around windows.All switches worked well.Both driver and passenger seats show med.to heavy use.(need recovered) The gen.set had 2300 hrs.(its 7500 quite diesel on a slide) There is only one bad thing about coach for me thats the year and only because I dont think anybody will finance it. Any suggestions would be great on financeing and value. By the way it only has one slide.Thanks to all in advance for any help.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a good coach, and excellent price. The genny hours are below minimum recommended exercise level, but enough it should be OK ...I would verify it runs smoothly and generates power as it should. The Ultimates are great ...lots of extra touches. We never seen anything we like better than ours.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

2000 40j

We picked up our 40J two years ago on Ebay it runs the 300 cat could use 30 more hp but OK we are not in a rush on hills pulls the grapevine in CA at 30 while pulling a Dodge Dakota 4-door 4WD. I did have a few problems with the jacks my own fault when I pressed the store the jacks came down to fast and sheared off the bolts had to replace did it myself took 2 days and alot of beer, we like the coach, picked it up 50,100 no reserve auction two years ago.
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat