Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

1999 Slide Out leaking hydraulic fluid

Picked up our first RV a few months back. 1999 - 35 adventurer.

Took it camping once - everything was great!

Got new tires on the RV the other day - was cleaning it and I extended the slide out and it was slow... retracted it and noticed a TON of fluid on the driveway.

I can't figure out how to see WHAT is leaking...

Should I top off the reservoir - and extend the slide out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3182.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	183419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3184.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	183420  

Sk8Surfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If the reservoir is low, nothing much will happen, but if you have a bad leak best thing to do is get the slide in and seek some help. I am assuming you also have the hydraulic jacks. It could be many different things going on with your hydraulics. Leaks could be one of the many hoses or is could be one of the cylinders. For your sake I hope it is a hose as they can be ordered or even made up by a hydraulic shop.
If it is a RAM then you could be waiting for months for a replacement. if the leaks are isolated to one location that is where to look.

How many slide outs do you have?
Old 07-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Just one slide out. And yes jacks as well. I posted a picture of where it’s leaking. I’m pretty handy…. But can’t figure out how to easily access to see where
Old 07-02-2022, 06:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I just operated my jacks - and more fluid leaked from the same spot. I would assume then it’s likely a hose? Would the cylinder ram of the slide out leak - while operating the jacks?
Old 07-02-2022, 06:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

This is a simplistic explanation of how a HWH slide out system works. When you push the button to extend a slide, the pump turns on, a solenoid valve that is mounted to the main pump assembly opens to push hydraulic fluid to the rams that push that specific slide out. The fluid displaced in the rams is pushed into what is called a Sync Cylinder. The job of the sync cylinder is to make sure the two rams move in a synchronized fashion so the slide goes out evenly. The fluid displaced in the Sync Cylinder is pushed back into the Reservoir. When retracting a different solenoid opens and pushed fluid to the Sync Cylinder, the fluid from the Sync Cylinder pushes into the other end of the Ram and pushed the slide back in. There is an HWH document ML39247/MP65.0000 that illustrates this better. There are also a couple good resources that can help you. One is a forum member, AZPete. His name is Paul and his phone number is 602-549-3638, he is happy to help and freely give hos phone number out. The other is Stuart Services, in Elkhart, IN, Chuck Stuart is the owner and his number is 574-262-0389. They are both great guys.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Is the leak near the pump, if so it could be as easy as a check valve o-ring. The picture you sent shows the end of a ram, can you isolate the leak
Old 07-02-2022, 06:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

something you could do to help us all help you is to put some identification about the MotorHome you have model and such
Old 07-02-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Not near the pump - the reservoir and pump and solenoids are in the front of the RV. Here is the backside of the slide out cylinder. And another picture I took while raising the jacks - and a missive amount of fluid leaking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3185.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	183421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3187.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	183422  

Old 07-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Are the leaks all at the same place which looks like one of the rams for the slide?
Old 07-02-2022, 07:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Are the leaks all at the same place which looks like one of the rams for the slide?
Yes
Old 07-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Save yourself a lot of time, effort and dead ends. Contact AZPete (Paul Maddox) as suggested by tim meyers. Paul is an HWH employee and has helped out me and many others. In addition to his phone number (602-549-3638), he publishes his direct email address: [email protected]

Don't be reluctant to contact him. He wouldn't publish his contact information if he didn't want to be contacted.

Stuart's is a good source for parts, even those HWH doesn't have in stock but Paul would be my first stop for diagnostic information.

We guess and speculate, he knows.

I suggest starting with a direct email, it'll be much more effective than a private message through Winnieowners.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Slideout ram replacement

I had the front ram cylinder leak on the slideout on our 2000 Adventurer. Ordered a new one and did the replacement with the help of my long tall grandson. The slide is on the drivers side, but access to the ram is through the water heater compartment on the passenger side. Very difficult to access across the width of the coach. The other ram had to be disconnected as well, but that access is though the compartment past the fresh water tank. (a bit easier). I don't remember what sources I used to research the project, but it was a great bonding experience with the grandson.
Chuckmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckmor View Post
I had the front ram cylinder leak on the slideout on our 2000 Adventurer. Ordered a new one and did the replacement with the help of my long tall grandson. The slide is on the drivers side, but access to the ram is through the water heater compartment on the passenger side. Very difficult to access across the width of the coach. The other ram had to be disconnected as well, but that access is though the compartment past the fresh water tank. (a bit easier). I don't remember what sources I used to research the project, but it was a great bonding experience with the grandson.
Thanks for the reply. I see the back sides of both rams - but nothing is leaking - back there.

What I can’t figure out is now - it leaks when I use the jacks….

And now the front of the slide will not move - the rear part of the slide moves. But I don’t move it far cause I don’t want to bend anything.

Did you replace it with the slide extended? I think I need to figure out how to manually extend the slide….
Old 07-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

At the risk of unnecessarily repeating myself, just contact azpete. He posted a recent message on IRV2.com, Winnieowners' sister site about his willingness to help and suggests calling his phone number:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/hwh-...ml#post6238265
Old 07-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
At the risk of unnecessarily repeating myself, just contact azpete. He posted a recent message on IRV2.com, Winnieowners' sister site about his willingness to help and suggests calling his phone number:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/hwh-...ml#post6238265

I did. Waiting to hear back.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Sorry for the unnecessary poke. Hopefully you'll hear from him soon.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:30 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Leaking slideout ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Surfr View Post
Thanks for the reply. I see the back sides of both rams - but nothing is leaking - back there.

What I can’t figure out is now - it leaks when I use the jacks….

And now the front of the slide will not move - the rear part of the slide moves. But I don’t move it far cause I don’t want to bend anything.

Did you replace it with the slide extended? I think I need to figure out how to manually extend the slide….
Don't extend the slide. Something will bend and makes it harder to reach the outer nuts to remove the ram. I had something bend and difficult to get it straightened out. If you don't have the manual, search for it online with your particular HWH model.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Hi, judging from the photos, my 2003 Journey has the same, or similar HWH system. I had a hydraulic line break on my bedroom slide last year. My situation was a bit more dire when it failed as I was departing Denver headed home to MS and noticed in the driver's side window that the rear slide was sticking out about 6 - 8 inches, yikes! I was able to get it back in by using a little muscle power while pushing the retract button but I had to keep an eye on it for the four day trip home.
It also puked a lot of fluid out but everything else seemed to be working OK. I took it to a local tech who found the hydraulic line broken near the ram for the slide. The line was 12 feet long and, as one would expect, a bit difficult to route but he replaced it without any issues. Cost was $750, he said that in his experience the rams on HWH systems rarely fail so hopefully it is just a broken line on your system too.
Old 07-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

So - I filled the reservoir with fluid - I was able to get both to kinda move... the front ram would not move as fast as the rear - I did break two bolts that kinda help level/guide the storage compartments on the guide rails as it extended/retracted out of sync...

When I got it 100% extended in the rear - and 75% in the front - I looked at the hoses - nothing looked bad - the leak is without a doubt coming from inside the square slide guide frame - So I guess that means a bad cylinder?

So how do I remove the ram cylinder? Does the slide need to be extended for me to do that?

I' assuming I remove it from the other side of the RV - where I can access the back of the guide?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3398.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	183541   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.JPEG
Views:	47
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	183542  

Old 07-17-2022, 04:54 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Slide ram removal

My memory has faded, but I recall having the slide out a few inches to access the ends of the ram. Since yours is all the way out, that may be ok. The less you move it the better, particularly if it does not travel evenly.

The end of the ram has a large nut which I think needs to be removed and access is through a round hole in the side of the sleeve enclosing it. I think both rams need to be disconnected, but I don't remember why. Then the cylinder and ram can be removed through the compartments on the passenger side of the coach. Re-assembly and final adjustment is tricky and tedious. PLEASE do some googling. Resources are out there to give some guidance, and there will still be questions while you are into it. Sorry I can't be more precise but it's been about 4 years ago at least. Good luck.

Tags
fluid, hydraulic, leak, slide, slide out