Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

I think it would be best if both sides are equally extended before installing the cylinders. Hopefully you can do this manually. I'd also manually bleed both cylinders and the synchronizing cylinder before operating them. Make sure your fluid reservoir is topped off but not overfilled with the proper fluid. According to HWH, "The use of HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil is recommended but Dexron or multipurpose transmission fluids can be used if necessary. DO NOT use hydraulic jack oil, brake fluid, or power steering fluid."

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq...eering%20fluid.

Overfilling won't damage your system but it will make a mess. The reservoir's cap has overfill protection and will expel any excess fluid. It's best to protect your driveway with something and wrap some rags around the cap just in case. I have a stubborn stain on my driveway that I'm still trying to clean up.

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml57000-012-ch3.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:05 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

I got both units installed.

First I just tried to extend them to the max - to see how far they would go.

One side the threads went half way through - the other was about 1" less

I read the sync procedures... I'm not sure I understand them. I disconnected the hose from the manifold - what do I cap? Both ends?

I didn't cap anything - oops... fluid shot out the manifold and the rams retracted (when I pushed extend).

BUT - then after I reconnected the hoses - the cylinder that was 1" less is now maybe 1/2" less. I connected the end nuts - the slide moves in sync - maybe I'm overthinking it?
Old 08-01-2022, 09:20 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

I can't quite follow what you describe but, if everything is connected, the end nuts are tight, the extend and retract solenoids relief valves are closed, and the slide operates properly both in and out, I think you're good. At each extreme, you should keep the switch depressed for a couple of seconds before releasing it. This will help in synchronizing and adjusting everything.

If the slide still a little skewed, you can try bleeding the lines by loosening each connection it turn until all air bubbles are expelled. You don't need to run the pump while the connections are loose, just make sure there's pressure in the system.

Remember to always fully extend or retract before reversing direction, this can cause problems. Don't cycle back and forth quickly without fully stopping for a few seconds. I did this with my bedroom slide while trying to solve a creeping out issue and broke some adjusting bolts.

If there are any issues in it not being evenly retracted tightly against the outside wall when retracted, there are some adjusting bolts. I'll track down the info on how to handle this.

Since you expelled some fluid, you should check the level in the tank and refill if necessary.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I can't quite follow what you describe but, if everything is connected, the end nuts are tight, the extend and retract solenoids relief valves are closed, and the slide operates properly both in and out, I think you're good. At each extreme, you should keep the switch depressed for a couple of seconds before releasing it. This will help in synchronizing and adjusting everything.
Ya, it operates pretty good. One is just not extended as far. Maybe 1 or 2 threads less if I was counting at the end of the nut.

I was referring to this from HWH - where it says disconnect hose A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hwh.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	183682  
Old 08-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Surfr View Post
Ya, it operates pretty good. One is just not extended as far. Maybe 1 or 2 threads less if I was counting at the end of the nut.

I was referring to this from HWH - where it says disconnect hose A
Is the jam nut keeping the one slide from extending as far? If you loosen it a bit, will the cylinder rod extend a little further? As long as the slide is fully extended and parallel to the slide wall and fully retracted evenly, you should be OK. Ideally, I suppose everything should be absolutely even but I suspect that one of the purposes of the jam nuts is to allow for for these fine adjustments.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Is the jam nut keeping the one slide from extending as far? If you loosen it a bit, will the cylinder rod extend a little further? As long as the slide is fully extended and parallel to the slide wall and fully retracted evenly, you should be OK. Ideally, I suppose everything should be absolutely even but I suspect that one of the purposes of the jam nuts is to allow for for these fine adjustments.
I loosened all the jam nuts - and snugged them all up after they were fully extended.

Both sides measured the exact same from the coach. Fully retracted they are even and flush.

I am probably over thinking it.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Then, you're done (as long as your fluid tank is topped off)!

Good work. Now, when someone else has this problem, you can be the expert.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:21 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Then, you're done (as long as your fluid tank is topped off)!

Good work. Now, when someone else has this problem, you can be the expert.
Absolutely - one of my favorite reasons forums like this exist. Pay it forward.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:42 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

I think I recall that the nylon bolts on the manual retract rods were stripped. Is my memory correct, and if so do you have plans to replace them at any point?

Tags
fluid, hydraulic, leak, slide, slide out