Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2023, 07:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

1992 Brave Chassis battery not charging

My chassis battery is not charging for my Winnebago brave 1992 and I don’t know what it is. Also, how do I clean the carburetor on my generator said 4000 set generator also can somebody explain to me how to wire the batteries because I see one ground piece that’s not connected and what is the house batteries for?
30Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings 30Brave,
What is the voltage on your chassis battery now?
................................................ house batteries now?
Can you take a picture of your house batteries?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 04-01-2023, 08:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well there's goodnews and bad news. Good news is that there are good through wiring diagrams for the way your model year was built. The bad news is that as RV get older, they tend to get changed by each owner and that DOES NOT show on drawings, so we have to go carefully and watch for changes!!

But then the battery wiring depends on which chassis you have, Ford or Chevy, so this is the basic battery wireing but you will need to sort for Ford or Chwevy. The correct drawing will be labeled near the lower right corner. Page 1 Chevy, page 2 Ford!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...992/106338.pdf

As a help to sort battery cables, the OEM were marked with tape at each end of the cables, so this "may" still be a help if not too many have been changed out?

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	185518

For charging coach while driving , you have a mode solenoid that connects the two batteries together at different times.
This drawing :
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...992/105242.pdf

sheet 1 shows the solenoid at lower right.

Click this to get a better view.

Name:	mode.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	185519

There is a wire labeled LR that comes from the front. it is hot when we push a switch called different names on different RV. Maybe boost, aux, or such?
When we push that switch the LR lead brings 12Vdc down to the coil of the solenoid which should operate the solenoid and connect the left big lug to the right one. The metal solenoid body and mounting are used to ground for LR, so make sure it is good if trouble there!
One side goes to coach battery and the other to chassis battery but on this drawing it is not clearly labeled, so I hesitate to say which side is which?
This is where the charge connection should be made, but it can be hard to get to this solenoid, so if it is buried, I look at the batteries as easier to get to them. I only dig out the solenoid if I find I have to do it!

For testing the solenoid, look at the voltage of each set of batteries and they are likely to be different.
Then if you have somebody push the dash switch , you should see the two voltages match as they connect together! If the two don't match up, then you may have to get to the solenoid and it is one that does fail reasonably often.

A second way to decide if it is working right is to look at the voltages and then start the RV engine. When the engine is running the LR lead is also made hot and the two sets of batteries connect. When working right, you should be able to get the voltage from the alternator on both batteries and it will go up and down as the engine is revved!

If the batteries go up/ down when the engine is running, they are getting the charging but they may also be too old, too weak, etc to hold that charge.
Another big point to remember is that the cables need to be clean and tight for this to work. A dirty/corroded cable on positive or negative side can kill the best operation of all the rest!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sorry!
On reading closer, what you mention is not what I described fixing! The chassis and starter wiring are not really part of the RV setup but just what comes on normal car and truck chassis.
Most like cause is something simple like dirty or corroded cables or possibly a bad alternator. But we get no info on that wiring on the Winnebago info.
That takes you into truck repair more than the RV repair.
Sorry for the poor reading of your post!
Old 04-01-2023, 09:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much for your help. I will send a picture in the morning. I don’t have my RV with me is that my friends house and as far as for the generator, is there a way you can get the same one that I have not to be a bother but I’m not sure what is the carburetor and how to get to it
Old 04-01-2023, 09:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This is my generator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ECA38D64-91E5-4C5D-86A4-697FCDFDD210.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	185520  
Old 04-01-2023, 09:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The only wiring I needed was for how the batteries are wired and the battery compartment under the stair
Old 04-01-2023, 09:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

It’s a 454 Chevy if that help I’m a complete noob to this n a really do appreciate all y’all help with this THANK YOU FOR MY DEEPEST SOUL THANK YOU ALL
Old 04-02-2023, 07:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Got it!
Need to keep it simple for that.. Sorry.
This is the drawing for the way the batteries should connect. I marked the colors as if the tape is still on the cables. It may be gone but handy if it is there.
There is a good chance it is there and you may just have black and red cables. So chase out the connections and ignore the colors if the tape is missing!

Idea is that you will have one battery that is used for the chassis starter. the positive post goes that direction.
Then there are two that work the inside or RV stuff. They have positive connected together and going to the RV stuff. The negative of ALL three batteries goes to a big buss bar of copper that is mounted to the frame as ground.

Click this picture to get a better view of it or go direct to the drawing here and use sheet 1 for Chevy:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...992/106338.pdf

Name:	battery copy.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	185521
Old 04-02-2023, 08:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

On the carb question, it can be a big problem or smaller as shown in the video above. If one is not used to working on carbs, it can be difficult and best left to pros. Have you worked on any small engines like mowers, tillers or older cars that had carbs? They are all sort of the same and use gas to mix with air in the orrect amounts before passing it to the engine. That means it has several adjustments that need to be kind of precise to work right.
They often have tiny passages where the old gasoline has set and the volatile parts of the gas have gassed off and the "sludge" has set up in the passages and on parts.
If you are not up on working on carbs, it may be best to leave that to others??

That may be mean thing to say but it also may keep you from making things worse!
Some other things that can be easier to manage are making sure the gasoline is new and good to use and checking any fual and air filters that may be stopped up.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

House batteries

Where do that white wire go
Old 04-04-2023, 07:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Not seeing any white wire! Do you have one on the batteries somewhere?
It is not unusual for folks to add thing at the battery to get power to something they have added.
Do you have any letters stamped on the side of the wire? Winnebago stamps letters along the side of the wires they use like this.

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	185546

If you find 2 or 3 letters at the end of a long string of letters and numbers, you can look them up using this chart:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

If you find the letters, the chart will tell where the wire comes from and where it goes to.
But if it doesn't have a bunch of numbers and letters, it may be something somebody has added and we can't tell what that might be!

Tags
chassis, battery, brave, charging