Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1983 Suncruiser Roof?

Hello All!!

I’ll just say right off the bat, please pardon my “Green”/Newbie Q’s...

Here’s the quandary.
I have a 1983 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser. I believe it’s 26feetand 8 inches in length. I know she seems ancient, but she’s well taken care of and only has 22,000 miles on her.
I have approximately 7-10 days of weather here on the WA/OR border that will be in the mid to upper 80’s, and I need to seal and coat the roof whilst the heat is here to bond it well, before our beloved eight months of rain begins in the PAC.NW. ��

I have every single manual that was available that was carried over with the RV, but absolutely none of the material states what exactly is the roof material, that would lend me and lean me towards the answer of what do I use to seal it and coat the entire roof.
I know the walls are Thermo-Panel, but unsure if roof is the same material. I will need to unscrew the strips along the sides and scrape old, cracked sealant/coating off, and spot seal areas before the final roll on of whatever is the best product (at the least expensive price! lol) to use on the roof material that is unknown at this point in time.

I know there are different types like EPDM(?), TPO,, Fiberglass, etc. so knowing what exactly the roof is I guess kind of is a big deal if you want whatever you’re using to bond because I know that there is 100% silicone like Henry’s brand (pricey!), and Elastomeric.

I have talk to two lame used RV dealers that could not tell me what it was without seeing it in person which I cannot currently drive it up for them to inspect it.

I jist need an old PRO to say exactly what the roof is, what works best on a budget to do a good job to seal it up after some areas are addressed.

I saw this question asked in another thread which suggested to also post her Q. here, and it was never answered what type of roof it is (material wise).
However, there were three different people that went on to tell this girl about buying new roofing material that comes in one sheet for $600, then a few hundred in screws and tape and blah blah blah.

I’m sure that these gentlemen were well intentioned, but not everyone is Johnny handyman that wants to take on that, nor has the money for that in an era that seems apocalyptic, and money is unsure.

Hopefully I’ve explained myself and my immediate need for info about roof type, and what exactly to use on it.

Also, will I need a 5 gallon bucket of whatever Goo I end up using? I know prep work is 95% of the job, so any and all pointers, prep magic, Pro tips, and USEFUL videos forwarded will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for any and all replies to my questions!!

Respectfully,

Doc Stone
DocStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Google search turned up owner's manuals for older Winnebago/Itasca products here...
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...s1981-1990.php
Select your year and somewhere around page 100, is the care and maintenance of the roof. These files are photocopies or scans of ancient scrolls, and so aren't searchable, you have to page through them, as far as I can tell.
Good luck with it.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks 4 ur reply

Thank you for your reply. As I said in the post, I already have ever single manual from technical to advertising of that day. (Pretty impressive stuff!) Steel plate floors, steel ribbed frame throughout from stem to stern... I could go on.

And I've read it all more than once. (laugh) When you said Care and Maintenance were on about page 100 I chuckled, because I recalled reading it just the day before.
Unfortunately that section does not go into specifics about what materials are used for the construction of the roof...

BUT!! I did contact a Service Technician at Winnebago in Indiana, and he assured me all Winnie roofs are made of fiberglass, and should need no coating at all.

He did recommend when I redo the seams and joints around A/C, etc., on the roof after removal of all old, cracked silicone, to use Nuflex 311100% silicone. At least that's what they use at Winnebago.

I'm still concerned about an area around the A/C where water pools...

Thanks again for your reply!

Doc
Old 09-30-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocStone View Post
Thank you for your reply. As I said in the post, I already have ever single manual from technical to advertising of that day. (Pretty impressive stuff!) Steel plate floors, steel ribbed frame throughout from stem to stern... I could go on.

And I've read it all more than once. (laugh) When you said Care and Maintenance were on about page 100 I chuckled, because I recalled reading it just the day before.
Unfortunately that section does not go into specifics about what materials are used for the construction of the roof...

BUT!! I did contact a Service Technician at Winnebago in Indiana, and he assured me all Winnie roofs are made of fiberglass, and should need no coating at all.

He did recommend when I redo the seams and joints around A/C, etc., on the roof after removal of all old, cracked silicone, to use Nuflex 311100% silicone. At least that's what they use at Winnebago.

I'm still concerned about an area around the A/C where water pools...

Thanks again for your reply!

Doc
Well Doc, we must be reading different copies of the manual then, because on page 100 in the linked manual, the first line states
"ROOF
Like the walls and floor, the roof is made of
Thermo-Panel construction."
which was one of your initial questions.
Since my response was of little use to you, I'll just step aside and wish you good luck with it rest of the way.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I apologize if I seem indifferent to your initial reply.
I really do appreciate any and all energies expressed in regards to my questions. It just seems many people reply, just to reply and give other, unsolicited ideas.
I’m simply wanting one piece of info.

So. The roof is made if Thermo-Panel...
As to my initial inquiry. What is the material of the roof made of? Great. Thermo-Panel... WTH is the exterior of Thermo-Panel made of? Aluminum? Some pot metal? Fiberglass?...

You can see where a patented name “Thermo-Panel” does me absolutely no good at all unless I know what the material on the outside is. They explain about the core of the panel, this and that, but not what the exterior sheet is made of...

Many people use DICOR in places it is not meant to be used.

I’m just trying to use the correct adhesive/sealant for the correct media. I’m sure you understand about the want/need to do a job correctly/the first time.

Sorry and apologies for any off putting phrases.
Thermo-Panel name has been reused for many different products over 40 years, and not soley in the RV industry.

Tags
roof, suncruiser