Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

08 Vectra no dash air

Any things I can easily check? My dash air does not blow cold, but the fan works. I have looked for fuses or breakers but have found none and I have also looked under the hood but don't know what else to check. Thanks for any ideas.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I seem to have the same thing going on with my 02 Holiday Rambler. Have not had a chance to look into it due to recent surgery. The one thing I did check and you can too is turn on the engine and turn on the dash AC. Look at the engine and locate the AC compressor. Check if it is turning or the clutch is freewheeling. That will tell you if the system has enough freon in the system. If the compressor is turning as mine is it must be a vacuum door related up front or something of that nature.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The dash heat/AC controls are vacuum operated. It's possible that you have a vacuum leak caused by a split hose under the 'hood'--if so it's an easy fix. Here are a couple of earlier threads with pics, etc. for the problem: Vacuum Pump Failure and vacuum line leak anyone?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It could be several things,is the compressor coming on,if not it could be low on freon,or the thremostat switch could be stuck in the closed position,you can bypass it with a jumper wire and check it.we have seen several bad thermostat switches recently
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Had same issue on my last coach - bad vacuum hose

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have been following this thread with much interest. As I posted several months ago, as I travel down the highway, about two hours out, my inserted AC gauge in the vent outlet will start to creep up to above 60 degrees output air. I can turn the Dash AC off and after about 20 minutes, start it up again and it will blow 45-48 degree air, but eventually will start to creep up. Freon is full. Just before I took it to storage I looked at the area described and pinched the connection. All seemed okay, but I will further investigate this. I sure hope it is the probelm. Thanks all.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Wayne M, A long time ago I had a 1978 Monaco class C that when running the dash AC fan on low speed the inside condensor or evaporator ( I allways forget which is which ) would freeze up and not blow cold air. After turning the AC off for a few minutes it would thaw out enough to resume blowing cold air. It seemed that if I would run the fan on high, this would not happen. Still not sure why the unit would freeze like that.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Jerry J: Does your defrosters, vent, etc., work when you change dial as to where you want the air to come out?
Open your front "hood" where the generator is.
Look to the right of center for a Ford vacuum pump. Slightly below eye level. It's a lot smaller than you think. Mine is yellow. Trace the vacuum line up to the air distribution box. Start the engine and have someone inside put the A/C on. My vacuum line looked like it was on, but when I shoved it harder onto the air distribution box, everything worked.
Hope this helps. It seems a common problem on Vectra/Tour models. My vac line was about 1/2" too short.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

No vacuum line problem but yesterday at Winnebago Service they replaced the thermostat for the dash air. Great experience while we have been at Winnebago in Forest City, Ia. Brenda, our Service Tech, took excellent care of us while taking care of our problems and was a joy to work with.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

And my problem was resolved by a local (Taylor Automotive, Dickinson, TX) garage.

After a lot of trouble shooting they fond the vacuum line to the controller UNDER the dash had split at the connect. Snipped a few inches off and re-positioned on controller. I cam 312 miles today with the air blowing cold all the way.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ditto the outstanding support of the folks in Forest City -- we just returned and all our issues were fixed. Just my luck, the dash air did not work on our return trip -- fan works, no cold air. We're still under warranty so I'll be calling the folks that supplied the A/C units (Specific Cooling Systems) and discussing with their tech folks.