Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

06 View rockin n rollin side to side

Hi

Hope you all are well. I've only driven my 06 View 2 miles so far. I need to remedy the side-to-side rocking before a long trip to FL at Xmas. I guess I'll start with new shocks before getting Sumos. Any advice on the new shocks?

Thank you
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Maybe due to time constraint, I'll just put Sumos on for now. Should that be ok for a mostly flat ride down to southern FL? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Team

Yes, Sumo's will generally help with side sway or body tilt. Shocks are more for controlling up and down motions front to rear. Though certainly if your shocks are bad new shocks would be a big help.

Also, installing new and or bigger, Anti-roll bars (sway bars they are are sometimes called). The will directly help with body tilt, as well.

I have a vastly different motorhome than your Sprinter Van. It's tilts badly and I added Sumo Springs, Koni Shocks and Roadmaster Sway bars. It's better but still tilts a lot.

You may find more specific help at the Sprinter-Source Forum:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php
Old 12-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Creative. I just ordered:

SSR-338-54 SumoSprings Solo Custom Helper Springs - Rear Axle
TMBFSP35 Timbren Front Suspension Enhancement System

I'm sure I need new shocks too with 70,000 miles on this new-to-me View.

Thank you for the sprinter link too.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

"Shocks are more for controlling up and down motions front to rear. Though certainly if your shocks are bad new shocks would be a big help.

"Also, installing new and or bigger, Anti-roll bars (sway bars they are are sometimes called). The will directly help with body tilt, as well."

I'm looking into this . Thank you.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You definitely need new shocks. I know a lot of Winnieowners like Konis or Bilsteins but my truck repair shop guy (also a motorhome owner) told me that the OEMs were very good and he didn't see any need for me to spend the extra $$ on the Konis of Bilsteins. So far, so good.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks BobC.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When i first drove my stock '04 30' Ford Class C, it felt like a suicide mission. Barely controllable on the freeway at 60MPH. In this order i replaced: all 6 tires with XPS RIBs, 5 Bilstein shocks (one was the steering damper), front and rear Hellwig HD anti-sway bars. It now drives like a big sedan. The two-handed white knuckle grip is gone. I could drive it with one finger! (But of course I don't)

Rant On: I don't think RVs are made and delivered with adequate, safe suspension. Rant Off.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Desert. That's the way my vehicle feels now.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #10
Living The Dream

We bought our first View, an ‘06 model, back in August of ‘05 …. brand new and one of the first ones made. While later ones came with air bags on the rear from the factory (an option maybe), our curious new machine didn’t. I wallered around like a row boat in an ocean typhoon!

I quickly discovered I could buy Firestone RideRite air bags and so I installed them myself. BIG improvement.

By the way, if you discover your wet bay/electric bay compartment has no overhead light fixture installed by the factory, it too is a very early one! Great machine
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Suspension Improvements

This is how I modified my 2019 Navion 24D. These mods made a significant stability improvement, but I don't think you can eliminate all the lateral/vertical movements.

[Moderator Update]
Rather than post an image of your post it's much preferred to post a direct link to the post you want to refer people to for reading. Here's the link to your thread on your suspension upgrades:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...es-354532.html
[/Moderator Update]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D234BE0C-0121-495E-BB08-C86B0DACFFA4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	181429  
Skylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Some day i hope to catch a ride on one of the old 1970s GMC motorhomes. Descriptions I've heard said ride quality was super because of the type of rear suspension they used. They were designed quite differently from today's MHs.

My leaf spring rear axle seems to be the source of most ride harshness. Well, that and the bombed-out, chuck hole ridden, patched-concrete California freeways.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everybody. On Monday I'm checking further into getting new shocks before Xmas, maybe from some semi truck shop nearby (eastern NC). So far, I'm not sure about the compatibility of the Bilsteins. I can verify with Bilstein on Monday.

The trip to southern FL at Xmas this year may or may not work out. I have an old slide-in truckbed camper I could take instead with my truck. Will be tight sleeping with the two Great Pyrenees! I'd love to meet my brother, sister, niece and nephews down there, but it all depends on my dad's health and his ability to make the flight from Nashville to Ft. Lauderdale. They've got accomodations reserved. Won't know til the last minute re dad's health. I'll go to Nashville instead if dad can't go. I'm looking forward to getting the Winnebago roadworthy regardless, and I sure appreciate all your help.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #14
Site Team

Stew... while it's pretty much common to find your Class C motorhome has ride and handling issues, it is not something that most people find so problematic that they don't use the RV.

If you are new to motorhomes you'll find even after you throw $3000 dollars at the vehicle that it is still a fairly "tippy" vehicle. The changes and additions will definately help but it's a function of the Tall heavy body riding on a van chassis designed and constructed for a much smaller and lighter empty box.

What I'm saying is you should take your RV on a ride around your home - put 50 miles on it. Also, fill the water tank full with water and the gas tank full of gas. These tanks are low in your chassis and they help offset the high center of gravity.

Check the air pressure in the tires and make sure the cold pressure (the psi before you drive anywhere) is set at or near to the tire pressure on the placard on the Sprinter van (maybe in the door jam on the driver's side? I don't know where it is on your RV).

The previous owner drove it for 15 years as it is - so it's obviously not undriveable.

Don't cancel your trip just because you can't get it updated before you need to go. Just get some experience under your belt and understand how a tall short RV handles on the road.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Don't cancel your trip just because you can't get it updated before you need to go. Just get some experience under your belt and understand how a tall short RV handles on the road.

Thanks Creative.

I can likely get the SumoSprings on the Rear and Timbrens on the Front installed before the trip. Getting new shocks on is still in question. I'll wait on the heavier duty sway bars.

I'm an experienced travel trailer and large 5th wheel driver, and I instinctively go very slow and cautiously. If I take the Winnie, I'll be towing a Honda Fit on a tow dolly. I won't be in a hurry either. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I'm with creativepart on this. My 35' Class A handles very well. We recently went on a short trip, our first since COVID. Driving it home from storage, I was nervous and uncomfortable driving. On the trip itself, and especially on the way home, I was back to normal.

Although you were completely comfortable towing your 5er, someone new to it would have likely felt that it was pretty squirrely.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
Will be tight sleeping with the two Great Pyrenees!
If you were headed north you'd be prepared for anything up to a "Two Dog Night" but a "Three Dog Night" might be a problem.

We once met a couple in an 18' TT who were traveling with a Great Pyrenees, an Aussie and a cat. I asked them how they did it and they said "we just make sure to shuffle our feet when we get up at night".
Old 12-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If you were headed north you'd be prepared for anything up to a "Two Dog Night" but a "Three Dog Night" might be a problem.

We once met a couple in an 18' TT who were traveling with a Great Pyrenees, an Aussie and a cat. I asked them how they did it and they said "we just make sure to shuffle our feet when we get up at night".
Of course I remember the band and the song "Eli's Comin,'" but I never knew what the name of the band referred to. Ha! Now I know! I think these guys generate more heat than an electric blanket. And two is enough!
Old 12-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #19
Living The Dream

FYI … SuperSprings (the manufacturer of the SumoSprings) currently has a 25% off sale going on now, through the end of this month, on anything/everything.

Prepare your order, apply code “SUPERSALE2021” and it will knock off 25%.

https://www.superspringsinternational.com/

I have now affiliation with them, just a happy customer.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:06 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thanks SeeTheUSA

Also thanks for the FYI about the wet bay/electric bay compartment with no overhead light fixture making it a very early machine. I'll check.

Tags
view