Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

’06 View: Jacking up the extended slide out 1/2 inch to remove moldy floor carpet und

Hello there!

I have an ’06 View, and I didn’t realize when I bought in a private sale that it that it had a serious mold problem. I’m removing carpet, and ran into a big obstacle, the slide out. I can’t pull out the floor carpet underneath the slide out. It’s stapled to the floor 7 or 8 inches underneath the slide out, from the front edge of it.

I tried slipping a machete underneath the floor carpet that's under the slide to just cut the carpet and staples, but the machete is blocked by a cross slat that the slide out is resting on. The slide out also unfortunately doesn’t tilt up at all when you begin to retract it back in.

I did some google searches, and some fella tried pulling the carpet out with a tractor, and said it wouldn’t pull it out!

I’ve decided I don’t want to remove the slide out completely, or even partially, but based on something I found online, POSSIBLY to put a 2x8 board long-ways, all the way across the bottom of the almost fully extended, lightweight slide out and jack it up about an 1/2 inch, without removing any hardware from it. I’d center the board cross-ways, or cheat it in just a bit towards the RV. The slide out would be extended, but not quite all the way. That way I could get the machete underneath to cut the carpet and staples. I don't care about getting new carpet all the way back under there.

The last thing I wanna do is bend or break anything, but I’ve got to get this mold smell out, and Camping World says it’s a 10 hour, $1500 job to remove the slide out.

Any thoughts, advice, admonishments?

Thank you,
Stu
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure about your View, but on my Suncruiser I was able to wedge it up by extending it and using a ramp made out of a 1/4" piece of plywood with a beveled edge shoved under the inboard edge of the slide with the inboard edge of the plywood lifted up with another piece of plywood shoved under it. You'll need 3 to 4 such ramps.

Alternatively, if you have the skills, you can take some pieces of 1/2" plywood and bevel one edge to make a gradual ramp.

You may need some help in holding the ramps in place so they don't slide around while you retract the slide a few inches.

You don't want to lift it much. I also made a flat chisel-like tool out of a piece of flat bar stock with a sharpened edge that I could slip under the carpet and use a hammer to remove or cut the staples.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm not sure about your View, but on my Suncruiser I was able to wedge it up by extending it and using a ramp made out of a 1/4" piece of plywood with a beveled edge shoved under the inboard edge of the slide with the inboard edge of the plywood lifted up with another piece of plywood shoved under it. You'll need 3 to 4 such ramps.

Alternatively, if you have the skills, you can take some pieces of 1/2" plywood and bevel one edge to make a gradual ramp.

You may need some help in holding the ramps in place so they don't slide around while you retract the slide a few inches.

You don't want to lift it much. I also made a flat chisel-like tool out of a piece of flat bar stock with a sharpened edge that I could slip under the carpet and use a hammer to remove or cut the staples.
Thank you BobC, that's a creative idea I hadn't thought of. I'm gonna try that.
To cut or punch/pull out those elusive staples, I'll also use your idea to hammer on a flat bar with a sharpened, square end. Much better than the machete.

Did you go with a ramp on each end of the inboard front edge of the slide, or just one in the middle?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Got 'er done! Thanks Bob C.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
Got 'er done! Thanks Bob C.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote