Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

'05 Journey 39K Air Source

I just recently purchased a 2005 Journey 39K. There is a compressed air hose fitting above the generator that I thought was for tire inflation. When I tried to adjust the tire pressures the other day I ended up losing air rather than adding as I intended. Turns out that this air source is not adequate for the job even when it has 115 - 120 lbs showing on the gauge.

Is this normal or is there a problem with my system? Seems odd to have such a great accessory yet not have it adequate for the most important use you would have for it.

How do you maintain your pressures while on the road? Lug a compressor with you or only adjust your tire pressures at truck stops? Seems limiting since your tires would be hot by the time you got there.

Bill Burgner
Orlando, FL
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Bill,

Did you have the valve to the quick disconnect open? Also, did you have the diesel running? If you don't fire up the engine, you are only relieving the tank, and not running the compressor.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My air outlet works fine on my 05 39K. I have added air to tires.

Ronnie
Old 05-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Once you equalize the coach air pressure with the air pressure level in the tire, you should remove the air chuck from the tire, bleed the coach pressure down till the compressor kicks in and rebuilds it to maximum again. Continue adding pressure to the tire to the point of equalization again and repeat the process. This method will allow you to air up to essentially the same maximum pressures you achieve on the coach air system. Technical term would be reverse cascading.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I did have the engine running and the valve open when I tried to add air, but thanks for the reminder anyway. I will try again the next time I need air and see if I can do any better. I may need to try the suggested reverse cascading approach.

Are any of you using a TPMS and if so which ones? Did you need to do anything special to the rims or stems?

Bill Burgner
Orlando, FL
Old 05-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I just attended Camp Freightliner and probably learned just enough to be dangerous. Here's what I remember about using the air manifold as a source to inflate tires. The manifold is fed from the secondary air tank which is also used for front brakes and other accessories (air horn, etc)

The primary tank is used exclusively for rear brakes. Both tanks are connected together and both are protected by Pressure Protection Valves. These valves are used to protect one tank from another by closing automatically at a preset pressure, should a reservoir failure occur. Loss of air from one tank should not drain other tanks if the valve operates correctly

That means your tire filling process will drain the secondary tank and the primary tank still has enough pressure to not kick in the compressor. It was recommended that we add a pressure gauge between the end of the air hose and the air chuck. When you're filling tires and the hose pressure drops below the desired level, have the DW pump the brakes enough to lower the primary tank pressure and kick in the compressor. Resume filling the tire when the hose pressure is high enough.

This makes it a 2 person job but it eliminates finding space for another compressor. I strongly recommend Camp Freightliner!

Note: The engine must be running for all of this to work.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Good Insights

Denny,
That is an informative post, thanks. I hope to attend a future Camp Freightliner. How big was the turnout for the one you attended?

Bill
Old 05-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We had 19 attendees and room for one more. There was one last minute cancellation that kept us from having a full class. They are offering more classes in more locations to meet the need. At a $100 for two full days of class, lunch both days, and a dinner for the attendee and spouse/other, plus notebook of class notes, I think it's a real deal.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Camp

I plan to attend, just need to fit into the schedule somehow.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Martind4 has it exactly correct. He did it without the power point pictures Mike from FL uses to explain it too!
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Pressure Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
It was recommended that we add a pressure gauge between the end of the air hose and the air chuck.
Denny,
A quick look at Sears and Lowe's found gauges, but it looks like a 'T' fitting would be required. Is that correct, or did you use something else? There were no fittings in the air tool section that would work. Any reason a brass fitting for propane or water would not work?

Bill
Old 05-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I haven't built one yet, but I plan to use a brass tee and one male and one female quick disconnect. The gauge and male disconnect are somewhere in my tool box, all I need is a tee and the female disconnect and the time to put it all together (10 minutes).

It probably won't make a difference if the tee was galvanized or black for compressed air, I just think brass looks nicer.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quick Disconnects

Thanks Denny,
I had not thought of that approach. I was headed towards having a permanent gauge at the end of the hose. I think I will start with your approach and adjust as I get experience with it. Might end up with the 'T' attached to the tire fitting and a quick disconnect at the hose end just to reduce the bulk and weight at the tire since it is already awkward getting to some of the valve stems.

Bill
Old 05-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Yesterday I dug around in the shop and found an old brass tee of the right size and then purchased a female quick disconnect. I did it this way so I can use the same gauge on my shop air system for spray painting, etc. Thanks for giving me a reason to get this simple project done!

My next step is to try it out and increase the tire pressure 5 psi on all my tires. We had the coach four cornered weighed a couple of years ago and I used the tire charts to determine the optimum pressure. When I look at my tires, they seem to be wearing slightly more on the outside edges, indicating that pressure is too low.

Denny
Old 06-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Bill asked: Are any of you using a TPMS and if so which ones? Did you need to do anything special to the rims or stems? (I couldn't figure out how to do the quote many of you use)

I removed the Doran TPMS from my previous motorhome and am using it on my 2004 Journey. I have the aluminum rims and no modifications were necessary to the rims or stems but the fit is a bit tight.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys:

I have an air gauge right above my air chuck hook up on my Meridian above compressor. I thought this was original equipment on my rig. Was this added by previous owner?

I just bought a 50 ft air hose and heads and new tire air guage to try and fill tires from this setup. So all this info is good news to me.

I did not get my rig four courner weighed. Can you tell me what approximately my tire pressure should be with a 36ft. Meridan DP? I don't know the size of my tires off hand, they are stock Michelin tires.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The tires will have a pressure max molded into the the tire itself.. usually near the tire size and specs. Look closely.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Doesn't the sticker on the wall next to the drivers seat give a recommended tire pressure? Personally that's what I'd use until it is weighed.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Hi guys:

Yep sticker on the wall next to drivers seat suggest 105 lbs for the front and 100 Lbs for back tires. And that is what my tires are set for.

I hooked up my new 50 ft air hose and it works great. I added some air to my right outside rear. I get a steady 120 PSI on my gauge from my line.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
I just recently purchased a 2005 Journey 39K. There is a compressed air hose fitting above the generator that I thought was for tire inflation. When I tried to adjust the tire pressures the other day I ended up losing air rather than adding as I intended. Turns out that this air source is not adequate for the job even when it has 115 - 120 lbs showing on the gauge.

Is this normal or is there a problem with my system? Seems odd to have such a great accessory yet not have it adequate for the most important use you would have for it.

How do you maintain your pressures while on the road? Lug a compressor with you or only adjust your tire pressures at truck stops? Seems limiting since your tires would be hot by the time you got there.

Bill Burgner
Orlando, FL
I went round and round with this exact same thing. Thought about getting a multiplier, another compressor. It all came down to a high quality connector for filling tires. The cheapies can't hold the pressure.

Now maintaining pressure on the road is simple. I know it seems like most tire fillers should work at what they are rated but few really do. If you are buying it from some walk-in store, it is probably not up to the job.

I was about to spend hundreds for an air multiplier or some other gadget and all it took was $20 for a really high quality air filler.
maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote