Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

04 Meridian Vacuum Breaker on Black Tank flush

04 36' Meridian. In trying to track down a urine smell, I discovered that the Vacuum breaker on the blank tank factory installed flush system was leaking. It is 16 years old now, so not so surprising. Hunting through the forum it appears that there is no good access for replacement on this particular unit. It is about 15" up the wall between the toilet room and the living room. There are cabinets above it, but below is simply boxed in as the toilet blocks any access.

What I did was carefully using a flat bar tried to back out the staples of the panel in this space (after toilet removal of course.) When I did that I found the vacuum breaker in the upper left hand corner of this empty space. I uploaded picture here.

The vacuum breaker is a "cash-acme V101 anti siphon vacuum breaker"

I would welcome any thoughts on getting the panel back. I am thinking to try to remove staples put some first aid tape firmly in the middle and then try to use gorilla glue, to glue it back in place. Better ideas would be welcome.

Also hope this helps someone like me, who found not enough information on this in the forum.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_150056.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	173929  
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Would it be worthwhile considering using some method that wll allow easier (repeated) access to the area? If the darn thing fails again? Maybe something hinged, or some other temporary method of replacing it?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The panels in many RV are thin enough that a simple hand power stapler of reasonable quality is enough to pop a bunch of regular staples in. I use an Arrow brand stapler. Makes a pretty quick job of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3731.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	173930  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would not glue as that would really make access impossible if needed again. I would use small brass screws, maybe 4 or 6 just enough to hold the panel. If needed buy some trim strips and finish off.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
Site Team

How about long Velcro strips?
Old 06-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'am wondering if that breaker is behind the one place electric center we have been having a few issues with smell, double rinse holding tanks double chemical has gotten better but your question makes me wonder.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would agree with the screw idea, like what Winnebago uses on the panels it intends to be removed, such as to access the water heater valves or water pump. Actually maybe something shorter--those are longer than they really need to be.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It might be worth noting that vacuum breakers are not the sort of thing we need to access very often, so attaching the panel to make access easy is not one I worry very much. If the new one lasts as long as the old one (2004 to 2020?) he doesn't need to get to it for a while yet!
I'm okay with pulling staples out if I only have to do it every 15-16 years!
Old 06-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
It might be worth noting that vacuum breakers are not the sort of thing we need to access very often, so attaching the panel to make access easy is not one I worry very much. If the new one lasts as long as the old one (2004 to 2020?) he doesn't need to get to it for a while yet!
I'm okay with pulling staples out if I only have to do it every 15-16 years!
Except that he probably didn't replace the plastic pipe, and that too could fail, or maybe be even more likely to fail due to the work done.

My first thought was construction glue rather than Gorilla glue, but then I read peoples' concern about needing to get back in. I think that's a valid concern.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Except that he probably didn't replace the plastic pipe, and that too could fail, or maybe be even more likely to fail due to the work done.

My first thought was construction glue rather than Gorilla glue, but then I read peoples' concern about needing to get back in. I think that's a valid concern.
That's why I suggested it, for your comments re: possible points of future failures.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Cataska,
The way I was able to determine that the vacuum breaker had failed was to remove the panel in the sewer bay (two screws on top and about 5 below.) Then side that down. You can almost see over the tanks. I was able to reach my arm in there near where the vent pipe goes up, and there was a pool of water on top of the tank.

It might also be possible to put your hands on the pipes while flushing and see if water is running down.

Others,
I am not sure I explained this very well. The staples are on the back. and there is no access to the back. Otherwise this is clearly the goto solution. Velcro is going to leave a visible gap between panel and sides.

Thinking about this, I am thinking the screw idea might be best. I could drill a large hole through the trim and a small hole through the panel. Lining it up could be a challenge, but I need to noodle on this one. And this allows repeated access. I have until Tuesday when the new Vacuum Breaker arrives.

Thanks
Alex
Old 06-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Just a shout out to the folks who helped me. I did use the screw method. Big holes through the supports and little holds through the panel. Then a 2" sheet metal screw. Used a bunch of painters tape to pull the panel toward me to drill and screw.

Not beautiful, but it is behind the toilet and unless you really look carefully, not really noticeable.
Alex

PS. In looking at the discoloration on the vacuum breaker and taking it apart, It appears that on the initial assembly an excess of teflon tape was used and thin strans wandered into the vacuum breaker and kept it from sealing. I think this has been leaking from very early in the life of this motorhome. (I could be wrong.)
Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Oh yes! Tape seems so foolproof but in working with CO2 tanks and setups for fish tanks, one of the more common points for new folks to mess up is putting on the tape. If you get it too close to the end of a fitting it is easy for the threads to cut off a bit and send it on down to clog some tiny little point where it then becomes a real problem to clear.

Tags
black tank, tank