Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have been fighting this problem for a year. RE: wipers stop during rain! Every time it rains the wipers stop mid-cycle. Then I must exit the coach, pull the circuit breaker that controls the wipers, re-enter the coach and drive along until it happens again. Fortunately, we have not had to drive in many rain situations. I have taken it to Freightliner, as directed by Winnebago as they said it was their problem. I did this twice and the problem is not corrected. The last time fixed by FL they said they would not replace the SmartWheel because Winnebago has placed the controls in an unacceptable place. FL states the control should be inside the coach and Winnebago says they can put it where they want. Also, the box where the controls are located along with the circuit breakers which is located at the front left corner of the coach has been "sealed" at my expense, by a Winnie dealer has not solved the problem. I also talked with an 04 Vectra owner who has the same problem and he opens the hood, unplugs the wiper motor, re-plugs and goes on down the road. Winnie has been no assistance for him either. Last week I talked with an 05 Itasca Horizon owner and he has had no trouble with the wipers.

Now after that explanation, does anyone have any suggestions? Is water getting into the wiper motor? Can I encase the motor in plastic?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have been fighting this problem for a year. RE: wipers stop during rain! Every time it rains the wipers stop mid-cycle. Then I must exit the coach, pull the circuit breaker that controls the wipers, re-enter the coach and drive along until it happens again. Fortunately, we have not had to drive in many rain situations. I have taken it to Freightliner, as directed by Winnebago as they said it was their problem. I did this twice and the problem is not corrected. The last time fixed by FL they said they would not replace the SmartWheel because Winnebago has placed the controls in an unacceptable place. FL states the control should be inside the coach and Winnebago says they can put it where they want. Also, the box where the controls are located along with the circuit breakers which is located at the front left corner of the coach has been "sealed" at my expense, by a Winnie dealer has not solved the problem. I also talked with an 04 Vectra owner who has the same problem and he opens the hood, unplugs the wiper motor, re-plugs and goes on down the road. Winnie has been no assistance for him either. Last week I talked with an 05 Itasca Horizon owner and he has had no trouble with the wipers.

Now after that explanation, does anyone have any suggestions? Is water getting into the wiper motor? Can I encase the motor in plastic?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now after that explanation, does anyone have any suggestions? Is water getting into the wiper motor? Can I encase the motor in plastic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be a problem with water getting in the wiper motor, but to me it seems more like a problem with electrical/electronic components getting hot and ceasing to work.

I don't think that the problem would rectify itself by the action as you described, if water got in the motor, as the water would still be in the motor after you reset the breaker and would reoccur.

What seems more likely is that the dropping out the breaker drops the voltage to the motor control circuitry and probably resets the electronics controlling the motor.

Try running the wipers when it is not raining and see what happens. If my theory holds up it should fail again even without rain present.

I have not looked at the schematics of the wiper circuitry so I am just theorizing at the moment.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same problem with the wipers. They found that the steering controls and the steering wheel needed replaced. This was taken care of by freightliner.
40FOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

40FOOTER Welcome to the forum.
I had some crazey wippers that would not shut off and would only travel half way. I have a plug near the motor that was getting water in it when it rained. I cleaned plug because of corrosion applied di-electric greese than taped up plug connectors. They have worked fine since it any kind of weather.
Enjoy the forums and do post often 40 Footer.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Saw your post in the FCOC forum and this answer (wiring compartment problem). http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/FCOC/message/2645

As I mentioned in the FCOC forum I also have recently been experiencing the same problem. Evidently this is a common problem with 04 Vectras/Horizons. Others have posted with this problem on the FCOC forum.

If this is caused by a factory wiring error then a recall is necessary to fix this very dangerous problem.

The first time this happened I was on a two lane mountain highway with no place to pull over for miles. By the time I found a safe place to pull off the road I could barely see.

I can not understand how this problem could be caused by wrong wiring when the MH was made, my wipers did not start acting up until the MH was 2 1/2 years old.

Whatever the problem Winnebago/Freightliner needs to address this problem and a recall is necessary IMO.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Finally got a chance to drive in the rain the last few days to find out if the fix from Freightliner (J-9 wire) cured this problem. I'm happy to say that the wipers worked great after using for hours the last few days.

Freightliner needs to do a recall on this before someone is seriously injured or killed. The TSB fix they issued for this problem is not enough.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Horizon 40AD Wiper Problem

On my new-to-me 2004 Horizon, the wipers stopped working while driving in an all day rainstorm. They hesitated slightly, slowed, and then returned to the park position. Fortunately I had just applied Rain-X, so the loss of the wipers wasn't a big deal. After reading all the forum information I could find(and after two weeks of drying out) I disconnected the wiper motor from the harness. When I reconnected the wiper motor, it was reenergized and moved the wiper arms slightly, and now the wipers work fine(in the driveway). No breakers were tripped. The connector appears fine, as does the gasket inside. It seems that water was the culprit, and possibly shorts out a wire/connector somewhere, and therefore something(motor/module/connector?) needs to be sealed better. I realize this is a 3 1/2 year old post, but does anyone have any more insight as to the cause/solution to this problem, which several people seem to have experienced? Also, where is the wiper control module? I can trace the wire away from the wiper motor, and it seems to run behind the right headlight. Thanks.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote