Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have noticed the front end making a knocking sound at slow speed. Has anyone had that problem ?
WINNE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have noticed the front end making a knocking sound at slow speed. Has anyone had that problem ?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check the sway bar mounts on the frame. Have someone rock the vehicle by pushing on the sidewall, while you look under the front end at where the sway bar links are. You may notice that the bar is sliding up and down in it holes, which can make the noise that you are hearing.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check between the springs, also check your shock mountings, some people have had a nylon fiber shim slip out from between the suspension springs. Check springs over both tires on the frame you may have one missing. If you fill out your profile it would help everyone when you have a problem. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Depending on your model year, Ford also had a recall or "owner notification program" to add Z brackets to the shock mounts on the chassis. I'm sure someone here can point to the photos so you can check to see if you have the Z brackets installed.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As Joe said, it could very well be the fact you dont have Z brackets (depending on year) or they are loose. I tried to do some links, but it is late and things arent working right for me!! Go to "find" on the top of your page, click on advanced search and put in "z brackets' and you will see some discussions last year along with pictures.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I went to the search and sure enough there is pleanty of info about klunking in th front end of the f53s Thanks guy and girls! Maybe I can get them to put on some good shocks on my 03 at the same time!!!!!

Thanks again
WINNE 33
Old 05-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Is you chassis an '03 or '02? Even if your motorhome is an '03, it could be on an '02 chassis. Ford went to Bilstein shocks somewhere around the end of '02 or beginning of '03, i forget. If you have Bilsteins, you have good shocks. If they are blue and yellow shocks, you have Bilsteins. If they are black, you have Monroe knock offs. Just go to a Ford dealer capable of servicing your rig and tell them you have alot of sway right to left and porpoising front to back. They should replace the shocks free under your 3 yr, 36,000 mile warranty with the Bilsteins. I had them put on and they are great. Also if your chassis is the '02, for some reason, as you probably read already, they didnt put the Z brackets on them all. Mine did not have them and I had them do that also. Somewhere in those discussions from last year, there was mention of the part numbers needed for those Z brackets. And the fact that there was some confusion when Ford came out with different service bulletins giving different part numbers. I think you want the service bulletin that came out around Sept. of '03 if memory serves me correct. The torsion bar could be loose and making the noise also.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote