Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago 25T and CRV--too much to tow?

We are looking at a Via 25T tomorrow with a CRV toad. We travel in Colorado a lot. I'm concerned that I may have trouble with the little 25T going up the mountains towing a CRV. Anyone pulling something that heavy?
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What's the tow capacity of your Via and the weight of your CRV? That will tell you. What is the year of the Via and the CRV? IMO I think the Via is too light to pull the heavy CRV particularly in Colorado mountains.

Depends on the year and model of CRV.
HERE's an EXAMPLE:
2014 Via Towing Capacity (lbs/kgs) 5000 / 2268

2014 Honda CR-V, Curb weight 3,305 to 3,545 lbs (and that is empty). 2014 was the last year the CRV can be towed four down.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I believe both are 2013 models. Looks like the spec is OK for towing -- but in the mountains?? Anyone else tried it?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
I believe both are 2013 models. Looks like the spec is OK for towing -- but in the mountains?? Anyone else tried it?
Google and verify 2013 specs because they may be different from 2014. That is also with the CRV empty (gas etc) which would add more weight. I would question towing in the mountains. It would be awful if you had to disconnect it and drive them separately.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
KC
Winnebago Camper

GO to any scales in your area, weigh your Via, weigh your CRV, check to see what your stickers for gross vehicle weight and Combined vehicle weight are.

This (to me) should be your first step. Make sure the Via is loaded as you would be when your traveling.

KC
Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2013 Via 25R that I tow a 2000 Grand Cherokee behind. The Jeep is a 4x2 with a drive shaft disconnect. It weighs 3900lbs. I tow it with a quarter of a tank of fuel to keep the weight down. I mainly travel in Ga, Fl, and Alabama. Plenty of power the power to weight ratio is
much better than my 40 footer with ISL. I lose about 2 mpg towing. I use U. S. Gear's unified tow brake system.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2011 Via 25T and towed a 2009 Chevy Cobalt (predecessor to the Cruze) which weighed about 3,000 lbs. We towed everywhere, up and down mountains, no problem whatsoever.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I don't like the idea of traveling with quarter of tank of gasoline when the tank doesn't hold much in the first place. I would be stopping every 50 miles!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I don't like the idea of traveling with quarter of tank of gasoline when the tank doesn't hold much in the first place. I would be stopping every 50 miles!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
He said on the toad - which is not a bad idea. That is easier to fill up than the MH.

Another note - the Sprinter chassis can only handle a maximum of 4200lbs before reaching the GCVWR. The best thing is to weight the Via fully loaded (water, gas, supplies, etc) - that gives you the information what is REALLY left for towing. The Sprinter does not allow a lot of added weight - so keep that in mind as well.

We towed a Suzuki Samurai all over and never even noticed it. The gearing of the MB Sprinter is well done to allow it to get the maximum of a 3.0L Diesel engine. It will go really fast up the mountains (we passed may DP and Trucks without issues). It shows you don't need a huge engine to maintain speed.

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rein, makes sense. But..... the selling point from the owner is that you can pack stuff into the CR-V (which is true). Given that the Via doesn't have that much storage (the 25T does have more than the other models), I may need the CR-V loaded!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well if your pulling the CRV around stuffed with your personal gear then this turns to a discussion about GCWR.

Without those numbers and the weights of the Via and the toad its harder to guess.

I did my weigh this spring as previously mentioned - loaded. I usually incorporate the stop at the scales with everyone on board, gear, food, DW, kids, dogs and the toad.

Its really the only true way to know if the numbers are compliant.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Look at the new Honda HRV. You would have to get the manual 6 speed but it only weighs
2900 lbs. I tow a 05 Honda Civic SI at 2650 lbs and I wouldn't advise any more than 3000 lbs. We ran into some 7% and 8% grades in west NC that slowed us down to 35 mph. I thought we were actually going to stop until it shifted into 2nd. The person with the jeep is weigh over gross weight.
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, winnebago