Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Which Base Plate?

I have purchased a 2005 Nissan Frontier with manual xmission to pull behind my new 26A Minnie. I will purchase the Ready Brute tow bar with the built in brake, but don't know which Base Plate to get. There are just too many choices. Does anyone have any suggestions. Which is the easiest to install?

Snakebite
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

eTrailer has some Youtube videos on Blue Ox baseplate installs on Frontiers. I didn't see one on a 2005, but there's one on a 2008. I wouldn't think it's too much different. The video should give you some idea of what's involved.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fron...iw=1164&bih=55

I installed a Blue Ox baseplate on my 2011 Honda Odyssey and, although it wasn't complicated, it took me a lot longer than the quoted times I'd read, so be prepared.

It's a good idea to check the ground to hitch height on your motorhome and compare it to the ground to baseplate connection point for the various brands of tow bars. Some may be closer than others, which can affect whether or not you need a drop or rise adapter (or the size you need). Your tow bar will need to be within +/- 2" from level when hooked up. The smaller the starting variance the better.

Also, with the Ready Brute, routing the cables to and through the firewall to your brake pedal can be a challenge. Ready Brake's website says 2 hours, which may be true if you have a lift, etc. but it wasn't my experience. You'll need a pair of ramps or jack stands so you can raise your front end.

Don't install the baseplate until you have the Ready Brute since you'll want to install both at the same time while your front end is opened up.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I did the same towbar and went with a Roadmaster EZ5 Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms. I liked the look and it didn't need cutting of any of the front plastic parts. I also watched the videos on eTrailer of the different ones then selected.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We used the Blue Ox on our Jeep Wrangler and the ReadyBrute Elite towbar.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote