Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

What's the advantage of towing with 4 on the ground vs other options like a FWD car with only the back wheels on the ground or the whole car on a dolly?
thebignewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
It seems most 4 x 4's either have to be towed 4 down or all 4 up on a trailer (assuming they are on the list of towables). I've not used a dolly because I have 4 wheel drive and some say it is more effort to use a dolly than 4 down tow. I can't speak to that but I know that you then have to be concerned about storing the Dolly in some campgrounds, particularly if you have a large MH and spot is short. Then at home you must store it.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
What's the advantage of towing with 4 on the ground vs other options like a FWD car with only the back wheels on the ground or the whole car on a dolly?
Towing with a dolly is a pain. You wind up on your back, on the ground, under the vehicle applying tie-down straps and safety chains. I did this for a few months and decided I would rather tow 4-down.

The trailer option requires an expensive trailer and more weight to tow.
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

4 down is really aimple. Takes less than 5 minutes to hook up. Attach tow bar and chains - ready to go. I would not want a dolly as it is a pita to set up or remove the vehicle. Always fun to watch those that do it...

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I assume there is a simple way to verify that the front tires are square when flat towing but I have seen people arrive at destinations with wore out or blown tires while towing. Might still be an issue with tow dolly if tires aren't straight forward. Also what I have seen but not priced is about $1500 to $2000 for a full flat tow set up including brakes, Am sure you could do for less but still around a grand probably. It also seems that the tow bars and body mounts are somewhat vehicle specific and some things would need to be changed out if you change vehicles.

We have the dolly but have only used a few times as we tow a trailer with a RZR side by side to the desert with our small car.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillDS View Post
Thanks, John! Will research the "Air Force 1" brake system.
I don't think you Sightseer has air brakes, so the Air Force One is not going to work unless you want to install an expensive compressor option. It the SMI maker of Air Force One is a company you like, the Stay-in-Play is the version without air brakes.

I have a Stay in Play partway installed that I'm taking off, because the exhaust brake on the winnie diesel light up the brake lights causing the Stay-in-Play to activate off the exhaust brake rather than the actual brakes. I'll probably throw it on Craigslist and go to the Air Force One or even the RVIBrake2 which is a portable unit.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I have the RViBrake2 along with their TPMS units for the tires so I don't worry about a tire going flat and not knowing it. Works fine. I like that I can adjust both the sensitivity as well as the pressure of the braking. It also works with both regular and active brakes. We tow a Ford C-Max which has active brakes. Also use their Towed Battery Charger which works fine.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

I tow a 2013 Ford edge. Have pulled it 35,000 miles with no problems.

Used a Blue Ox plate and a NSA ReadyBrute Elite tow bar. Tow bar integrates a surge brake that attaches to the Edge's brake. Works well with nothing to fail.

Used a Hopkins 56001 wiring harness to hook up the lights (bought on Amazon. Simple unplug-plug to the tail lights. Has built in diodes.

Last item is my Edge would kill the battery after 8 hours of towing. I ran a fused charge line from the coach to the Edge's battery. Problem solved.

Good Luck.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I don't think you Sightseer has air brakes, so the Air Force One is not going to work....
You are correct...no air brakes.

Looking at the Stay in Play. (Mod edit).
JillDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
I tow a 2013 Ford edge. Have pulled it 35,000 miles with no problems.

Used a Blue Ox plate and a NSA ReadyBrute Elite tow bar. Tow bar integrates a surge brake that attaches to the Edge's brake. Works well with nothing to fail.

Used a Hopkins 56001 wiring harness to hook up the lights (bought on Amazon. Simple unplug-plug to the tail lights. Has built in diodes.

Last item is my Edge would kill the battery after 8 hours of towing. I ran a fused charge line from the coach to the Edge's battery. Problem solved.

Good Luck.
Excellent info, xydial. We're researching the products you mentioned.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

If you have been looking for any amount of time, you know there are few automatics that can be towed 4 down. My wife drives only automatic, and to be truthful, at my age I really don't want to shift.

We bought a Chevy Captiva. The Captiva is a "fleet only" vehicle, so you buy it used. We bought a 2014 in 2014 with less than 20,000 miles. This is a great little SUV, the forerunner of the Equinox.

We use a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate along with an SMI Stay-in-Play proportional braking system. Added a switch to the fusebox to eliminate pulling a fuse on the car.

Hook up the tow bar, switch the brake on and switch the fuse off. Drive away.

It really is the best system I've had in my 18 years of RVing.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I am running the NSA ready brute with a 4-runner with wireless light system. Since Jan have 8000 miles on the system and works great, so simple. With the intergreated tow bar braking system the cost is MUCH less. Had one emergency stop and I can attest it worked, though I was going through the wind screen.

LEN
Old 06-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I am running the NSA ready brute with a 4-runner with wireless light system. Since Jan have 8000 miles on the system and works great, so simple. With the intergreated tow bar braking system the cost is MUCH less. Had one emergency stop and I can attest it worked, though I was going through the wind screen.

LEN
Did you install all yourself?

I thought we had made a decision...Blue Ox Patriot Portable brake system, Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate for 2015 Edge (not 2.0L and no ACC). Watched a video on installation of the baseplate....although better half was a heavy equipment mechanic for 25 years, not interested in doing that install.

I could purchase all the items mentioned above for $2167....just need the baseplate installed.

Talked to our local RV dealer today...they want $4300 for parts and installation...labor rate is $119 per hour.

Sounds outrageous to me but I'm a newbie. Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2016, 06:01 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillDS View Post
Did you install all yourself?

I thought we had made a decision...Blue Ox Patriot Portable brake system, Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate for 2015 Edge (not 2.0L and no ACC). Watched a video on installation of the baseplate....although better half was a heavy equipment mechanic for 25 years, not interested in doing that install.

I could purchase all the items mentioned above for $2167....just need the baseplate installed.

Talked to our local RV dealer today...they want $4300 for parts and installation...labor rate is $119 per hour.

Sounds outrageous to me but I'm a newbie. Thoughts?
I paid:
  • full price for a base plate for my 05 Honda CRV automatic transmission (around $350),
  • had it installed by local mechanic for $100,
  • found a Roadmaster tow bar setup on craigslist for $250,
  • got a set of lights from Roadmaster for $54 (https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...er/RM-155.html),
  • installed myself since they don't connect to the vehicle lights $0,
  • and found an older Brake Buddy on eBay for $180.

Total cost approx.: $934 - beats $4300!
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Good to know, OldJoe. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

I've got a 2011 Sightseer 33C and we tow a Honda CRV with the Ready Brute system. Midstate RV installed all components on the Winnie and the CRV for 500.00. It was the first time they'd ever installed one and they did a fantastic job. Been using the system for 5 years now and never had a problem. The connection process takes me about 5-8 minutes and the disconnect is even faster.

Tags
tow