Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Weight Distribution hitch for 1808FBS

Hi, looking for recommendations for what those of you use for a weight distribution hitch on your 1808FBS trailer. We just purchased a 2019 used and it didn’t come with the WD hitch. Not a fan of the fastway due to the way you need to grease the round bars.

Thanks in advance..
Jm
molljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The only one I know of that you don't need to grease is the Andersen--and for that you don't need to grease the ball either! But they run about $500.

You can buy a basic WDH for under $200, so that's a lot to pay for not having grease. I'm thinking about it though!

But I'm getting good at dealing with grease. I've always used nitrate gloves to handle the hitching/unhitching, but now I'm sticking an old one on the trailer ball when not in use to cover the grease. I was using zip lock bags, but for the ball this works better. And no, for the bars I'm not going to switch to used condoms.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

LOL! Well, I don't mind having to grease the hitch.. it is the grease on the round bars that is messy.. the trunnion bar hitches have a grease zerk, so the grease is contained and not all over the bar when you pull the hitch at your destination. I'll have to look at the Andersen, but leaning right now towards the Blue Ox.. more expensive but we've used those in the past and never had an issue.
molljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
2020 2108FBS

I use the e2. I have some thin wall 4” PVC piping. I am going to glue a cap on one end and a threaded clean out cap on the other end and store the bars inside it. This will prevent grease from getting on things when not in use. I had been wiping them off and putting a zip loc bag on them.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight