Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

WDH For Micro Minnie Question

Hi, looking at a Micro Minnie 2100 BH and I am thinking a Equalizer WDH/anti sway hitch. Aprox what percentage of weight does a WDH make on the tongue weight? Or I guess the other way to ask is what percentage of weight gets transferred from the back bumper to the different axles....Thanks!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are you concerned about overloading the axles on the trailer or tow vehicle? Or are you concerned about the tongue weight? I can provide some simple equations to help estimate this for your vehicle, but I’m curious as to the real issue behind the question.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A lot depends on the WDH rating. If you have a WDH with 1,500 lb trunion bars you should easily be able to transfer 500 lbs off of the hitch. But that is too much for a trailer like yours.

What are you towing it with. Any TV with a hitch weight limit of 750 lbs shouldn't need a WDH, like a full size pickup or large SUV. But midsize SUVs and pickups have hitch ratings of 500 lbs and the spec'd 430 lbs of the MM is probably getting too close so you need a WDH.

I would look for a light weight trunnion bar hitch like this Reese 600 lb one- https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...se/RE34FR.html You should be able to transfer at least 200 lbs with this one which would leave you with a comfortable 230 lbs on the hitch.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

That’s why I was asking. You can’t really take credit for projecting weight as a reduction in your tongue weight. Or at least I wouldn’t without discussing it with the manufacturer of the vehicle/receiver. You’ve reduced the shear load but added a moment.

Edit: With regard to distribution of weight: for my vehicle and trailer, if I have a 600 lb tongue weight and if I add 800 lbs of tension (total) to the chains on my WDH, it will project 164 lbs (total) back onto the trailer axles. The truck axles then carry the remainder (rear +466 lbs, front - 30 lbs).
Old 03-04-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Right. Some TV manufacturer’s will specify x with a WDH and y without. Most just spec one number though.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

What is crazy is on the bumper it says 5,000 lbs tow max with 500 lbs bumper weight. BUT then there's a asterisk saying "see owners manual" The owners manual with my truck with a tow package has it listed as a 7,100 Lb tow rating and a 1330 Lb CCC with a Class 4 trailer hitch. The door frame and jamb shows the same "7,100 Lb Tow and 1,300 Lb CCC. Nothing listed about using a WDH.
My cab size, engine, 4:30 rear is the heaviest towing configuration for my make's & model tow configuration.
The reason for the question was that I will be close to my trucks CCC and with what I will have in the bed of the truck I know tongue weight will diminish what I can carry in the bed. I would like to have 30 LB LP bottles but can stay with 20's if I need to but they don't weigh that much anyway.
If a WDH moves weight to other axles but what percentage of the tongue weight is moved?
This stuff is enough to drive a person crazy!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

My example above put 27% of the tongue weight on the trailer axles. It depends on how you adjust the hitch. I’m running two 6V and two 30 lb tanks. Measured tongue at 675 lbs with trailer loaded.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
What is crazy is on the bumper it says 5,000 lbs tow max with 500 lbs bumper weight. BUT then there's a asterisk saying "see owners manual" The owners manual with my truck with a tow package has it listed as a 7,100 Lb tow rating and a 1330 Lb CCC with a Class 4 trailer hitch. The door frame and jamb shows the same "7,100 Lb Tow and 1,300 Lb CCC. Nothing listed about using a WDH.
My cab size, engine, 4:30 rear is the heaviest towing configuration for my make's & model tow configuration.
The reason for the question was that I will be close to my trucks CCC and with what I will have in the bed of the truck I know tongue weight will diminish what I can carry in the bed. I would like to have 30 LB LP bottles but can stay with 20's if I need to but they don't weigh that much anyway.
If a WDH moves weight to other axles but what percentage of the tongue weight is moved?
This stuff is enough to drive a person crazy!

You mentioned the "bumper" a couple of times. Do you have a class IV receiver on the back under the bumper? Does it have any stickers on it regarding capacity and use of a WDH?
Old 03-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Yes, it does have a Class IV hitch under the bumper
Old 03-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

That's great.