Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Truck squat solutions

Decided it's time to see if I can resolve a minor truck squat problem.

Tow vehicle is a 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8. Towing a 2022 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2225RL. Weight a bit over 5000, hitch weight around 600. Also using a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch.

Not experiencing a serious squat problem or handling issues but would still like to level out the truck and trailer.

I've looked at various suggested solutions including air bags and helper springs. Would really like to go with the quickest and easiest solution and not spend a ton of money. Also don't want to sacrifice ride and handling of the truck when it's not hauling.

Suggestions or solutions would be appreciated. Will attempt to attach a pic of the truck and trailer connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck and Winnebago 2022 2225RL Micro Minnie.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	184673  
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:16 PM   #2
Site Team

If you have a weight distribution hitch you may need heavier trunnion bars or to adjust the hitch, hitch angle or hitch height. You should see equal "squat" front and rear when the weight distribution hitch is properly set up.

That's how a weight distribution hitch works... it distributes the tongue weight froward along the frame of your tow vehicle so the rear of the truck doesn't squat under the load of the tongue weight.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply.

Already have the hitch adjusted to its max height so afraid that's not an option.
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1001 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Already have the hitch adjusted to its max height so afraid that's not an option.
OK, it's not the hitch height what about the spring bars? Is the whole thing setup and adjusted properly? Everything about that photo says the weight distribution hitch isn't properly moving the weight forward.

This is for a Curt hitch and not a Blue-Ox, but the basic adjustments are the same:

Old 11-22-2022, 05:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hey-

Have you tried without weight distribution, usually those setups alone weigh about 100-120lbs

to correct otherwise, you could install stiffer springs, airbags(firestone ride rite) or put bigger load on hitch with stonger wdh bars to move weight to the nose.

The airbags without a compressor/electronics setup and use a manual pump is pretty simple. had the manual method on my old canyon as backup and worked flawless.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I think this is the best "how to" explanation for properly setting up a weight distributing hitch I've ever seen or read.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/17730894.cfm

When those instructions are followed exactly, your truck AND trailer will sit and ride level, with trailer tongue weight distributed to both front and rear axles.
I suspect your hitch ball is too high,(those instructions will identify the problem) the torsion bars should be leveling the entire rig when everything is adjusted properly..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote