Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2022, 07:52 PM   #1
New to this....

Trailer Bounce

Ok…

Trailer was hooked up to, Chevy Silverado 2500hd with Equalizer E4 Weight Distribution Hitch 1000 lbs weight hitch.
30ft trailer 6000 lbs +

From what I have read this hitch does a range of 600 to 1000 lbs tongue weight.

They tried to sell me the 1400 lbs hitch. I was able to do some quick research and saw that, that would have been a bad choice.

So, with trailer in tow, all the washers installed on the hitch by their “expert tech”
Driving home I experienced “some” bounce.

Could have been a bumpy part in the road, I wasn’t able to pay that much attention to the roads condition as I was trying to feel the new set up.

How should I expect the ride to be? Didn’t notice any sway, I was lucky to get up to 50mph on the route (2 lane road) home.

The actual hitch was not assembled in front of me, so I cannot be sure what measurements they took. They took my truck to a shop to attach the hitch, then brought it back.
The only set up done in front of me was installing the L brackets on the trailer and to show me how to join the two together.

I need to read the manual still to see if I should be making any adjustments to the L brackets and hitch tilt. I’m thinking they have it set up for 1000 lbs tongue weight. The Tech was not able to answer any adjustment questions I had.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You definitely want to read the manual for your WDH. Then, when you’re loaded up with the typical stuff, go ahead and make sure it is adjusted correctly. This typically is done on a level surface by taking a measurement to the ground at the front bumper or fender with the trailer detached and again with the trailer fully attached (with WDH). The normal goal is to get the measurement close to the same with/without trailer. See your manual. Ideally the trailer is also level (distance from ground to frame is the same front and back) or slightly nose down when hitched to the truck. It’d be remarkable if they nailed it on the first try without having both truck and trailer together during the install.

As for bounce, I’d not fret too much until you get it loaded and the WDH adjusted to your liking.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
As for bounce, I’d not fret too much until you get it loaded and the WDH adjusted to your liking.
backtrack15 is correct. If your trailer was unloaded on your trip home, you're going to experience a lot of bounce even if your hitch was properly adjusted.

This video may help after you're fully loaded:

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/blog/...allation-video

And don't forget to fill your water tank. You won't usually be traveling with an empty tank.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Would have been nice if dealer weighed the tongue for you before you left. An empty trailer is likely to bounce a bit even when the hitch is right. When you get the opportunity, unhook the trailer and level it front to back. Then back your tv with hitch ball back toward the coupler and see how far off it might be. Micro Minnie’s tend to be a couple of inches higher at the coupler than most trailers. That’s a good thing for off pavement, and it also is less likely to drag its rear. If you can’t get your ball all the way up to the coupler when the trailer is level, you may need to reverse the ball rack..