Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2023, 01:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towmate TM22G wireless light bar on toad?

Does anyone use the towmate tm22g on their toad when towing? The dealer installed a wireless one which works great. Just curious.
Paulie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

When I had the tow bracket and brakes installed the mechanic also wired my TOAD up for use of the umbilical cord to control all the lights. That device does look like a good alternative to all of that though.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I can't help with a recommendation, but I have a question. When they installed the lights on my Equinox they used diodes to connect to the car's existing lights. The lights are very hard to see. How do you mount the tow lights on your Equinox?
Gary92345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm no help with the light bar you use but...
We use a wireless towing kit that needs no installation at all. The lights are very bright LED, have a magnetic base and each have their own rechargeable battery.
The kit comes with the two lights, a charger, a transmitter that plugs into the back of the coach (where the wiring harness would go) and a bulletproof carrying case. I'm not sure how long a charge on the lights last but I've driven 12 hours over three days without recharging (they have a state of charge light on them
on them). They are about $140.
https://www.harborfreight.com/magnet...kit-58469.html
Old 03-12-2023, 06:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Can I ask how much we think we might save by using wireless?

I am in need to wire my toad. Right now that I am thinking it will cost $300 with the variable LED diodes and wiring included.

This looks as it will cost about $152 from HF by the time you add the 7 pin to 4 flat connector?

Am I missing something? HF product description says for emergency towing? In a fix, I could see, but as for as everyday flat tow on your toad?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 11:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I've used these for 15,000 miles but I leave the lights inside the back window on a metal plate.
The ones I had before these were wired and I left on the top of the old car, but that was an old car and I wasn't to concerned about scratching.
And you are correct, I did buy an adapter to go from the flat 4 pin to the seven pin. I taped the connector up all weather tight and just leave it in the socket year around.
I really am sold on these lights.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
I've used these for 15,000 miles but I leave the lights inside the back window on a metal plate.
The ones I had before these were wired and I left on the top of the old car, but that was an old car and I wasn't to concerned about scratching.
And you are correct, I did buy an adapter to go from the flat 4 pin to the seven pin. I taped the connector up all weather tight and just leave it in the socket year around.
I really am sold on these lights.
This is clear and makes sense to me.

Just different needs. I don't plan to ever sniff 15,000 with a toad, don't have a back window platform inside the SUV plus I would be afraid the rear window glass is too dark as I think it is as dark as legally possible by Lincoln to help block TVs when driving at night, and since you can leave the setup year around.

My toad is my primary car, so aesthetics is an angle for me. With that said, I have not done the wiring yet and this caught my attention. If it could be wireless and integrated with my existing variable LED lights; I would be in business. I hope to talk with a vendor this week to see what they can do. I have to wire anyway for RVI Brake 3, a charge line, and Breakaway switch. Ironically they have a Wireless breakaway adapter that runs $150 that I chose not too, because it is directly connected to the battery and would have a very small parasitic draw on the battery 24/7 even when not in use. Plus some have complained about wireless interference on the wireless braking system.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-13-2023, 07:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The dealer installed my towmate. It has two 90 pound pull magnets with rubber feet. I drove four hours home in the rain with these mounted to tthe top of my Equinox on the roof. Very visable. I called the company and asked if these were legal in Canada also and they sell these there as well. I do clean the rubber feet in case in debris is there. Call Towmate they are very nice people to talk with and can answer any of your questions.
Paulie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm with dickb46. I have the same harbor freight set and they work great. Nice bright led lights, strong magnets that do not leave a mark and completely wireless. And I can transfer them to any vehicle.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Oh oh... 202235f + dickb46 means something must be good

I have question, because tomorrow I go check on another wiring estimate for my towed.

How well do you think these lights would come through a tinted rear window? I know I don't want to put a magnet on top of SUV, but this is interesting none the less. When I look closer, it looks like the transmitter will plug into a 4 way connector or into a 7 pin connector? I actually have both on the back of my RV so in theory I could use the 4 pin connector for these lights, and the 7 pin connector via umbilical cord just to supply my Charge line that I must have.

I could see the advantage here, even if tinted windows are too dark in my vehicle, but it is at least a backup plan
Old 03-14-2023, 07:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I had a Roadmaster Dealer quote to install the wiring and installation of lights for my Navigator for $300. I will have the work done next week.

But last night I found this other option for wireless lights https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X56JQ1V7&psc=1

If were to buy one it would be the one I would try. It works with both 4 pin flat or 7 pin round so theoretically I could connect it with the 4 pin flat and still have my 7 pin round to supply charge line.

It has tilting lights so you could mount on a vertical surface.

It also has suction and magnets. So I was thinking about how it might work using suction on outside glass plus a very strong magnet on inside of the glass to draw the two together? I am thinking of tools we have to clean inside saltwater tank, they are magnetic on both sides of glass and as you slide up and down the glass the inside piece follows.

Tags
light, toad, tow