Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Towing with Yukon Denali

I just bought a Micro Mini 2108TB and will be using a 2017 Yukon Denali (6.2L V8) to tow it. When we picked it up the sales guy said we wouldn’t need a weight distribution hitch because the Yukon Denali’s are self-leveling. That kind of threw me off and we drove 300 miles home without it - and no sway control either. That said, I think I at least need sway bars added, but plugging in the numbers and looking at some of the other posts on here, I think I do need the WD hitch. If I do use the WD hitch the internet seems a bit confused about when to balance them - before or after the Yukon adjusts for things.

The sticker on the MM 2108TB says the GVWR is 5,500 lbs and cargo should not exceed 1,370 lbs, which I think tells me the true dry weight is 4,130 lbs (the published dry weight is 4,050 lbs). Using an online tow calculator, this gives me an estimated hitch weight of 516 lbs (dry) to 687 lbs (fully loaded). The published hitch weight is 435 lbs.

Now for the Yukon. The manual says the hitch is rated for 500 lbs, or 1000 lbs if using WD. I didn’t see anything saying that WD could not be used with the Yukon as the Magneride or air levelers (I’m not sure if I just have the mageride or the rear air ride suspension). So based on the hitch weight alone I think I need a WD. Something with a rating of 750 lbs.

If I’m reading all this wrong and the sales guy was right (or maybe I didn’t understand his questions correctly), I still want sway control. Would I just get a couple of the sway bar things and the mini-hitch balls welded to the trailer? I figure I would need two - one on each side.
dvdhns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing