Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Towing with F150

Hi all I have a question as far as towing.

Looking to purchase a 2021 Winnebago 2801 bhs
Dry weight of 6510 gross is 8800

I have a 2011 f150 fx4

Can tow 9400
GVWR IS 7200
Payload 1356
GCWR is 15100
Has a 3.73 rear end as well
Wondering if the TT is too much for the truck?
Planning on adding a WDH and airbags

First timer, want to be safe. Just don't want to pass up a smoking deal on the camper.

Thanks in advance!
Kfreeman566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

I towed a 28 foot Trail lite for 15 years with a Ford F150 5.4liter with 3.73 rear end. It only weighed about 4500 lbs. I had air bags on rear of truck. I really think you are pushing the limits. That Is just my opinion. Others may tell you differently.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #3
Site Team

This trailer is far too heavy and far too long for your truck.

Something’s got to give… much smaller, lighter trailer or much larger, heavy duty truck. You choose but the choice is not avoidable.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We had previously towed our 2019 Minnie Plus 26RBSS with a Ram 1500 Crew Cab in which the TT weighed in at about 8000 pounds loaded and tongue weight of about 850 pounds. With 2 adults, a small dog, an inverter generator and other stuff in the cargo bed, we were at or may have even exceeded the maximum cargo weight of 1350 pounds. The Ram 1500 had the 3.92 rear end and could have towed up to 10,080 pounds, but was a bit squirrelly going down the road. Last Year before the prices went out of sight, we upgraded to a 2019 Certified Ram 2500 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 6.4 Hemi Gas with a 3000 pound cargo capacity and could tow up to about 16,000 pounds. We towed the Minnie Plus to Key West Florida last October (4200 miles R/T) with the Ram 2500 and was MUCH more stable allowing my hands to have blood flow again! A 3/4 ton truck with a longer wheelbase is the way to go unless you plan to stay very close to home in a state park etc. Good Luck with your search!
Kansas Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The tongue weight of your loaded trailer would use up most if not all of your cargo carrying capacity. Besides that, it is way to long for your truck, no matter how much sway control your WDH will give you.

I wouldn't even consider one of the newer 1/2-ton trucks with their inflated tow ratings, up to 15k. Unrealistic in my view unless you tow a fairly flat trailer loaded down with heavy rocks and a low center of gravity. A travel trailer with its large surface area is a whole different animal.

Buy a 3/4-ton truck. I was in the same situation as you and sold my almost new Silverado 1500 Duramax 3.0L and bought a 2020 Ram 2500 Cummins. It maybe overkill for the trailer we have but I can truly that I hardly feel it behind me because I have a huge safety margin.
Buy a

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:06 AM   #6
Former Winnebago Class A

Cargo Capacity alone says, Uh, no........
When you consider true tongue weight, and add the cargo weight of everything in the passenger area and bed of the truck, you will certainly exceed your max cargo weight.
What the truck will pull is one thing, the total load it should carry is another...
More capable truck, or lighter trailer... IMHO....
Old 03-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You're getting some good advice here, and don't let the RV dealer give you any advice to the contrary. It's my understanding that pickup tow ratings are based on it's carrying a 150 lb driver and a full tank of gas, that's it, no dogs, no passengers, no toys, etc.

I'm also with creative part as to length, at 32.6 feet, this is an extremely long trailer for a half ton truck and it's shorter wheelbase. You'd definitely be in white knuckle territory.

Do you really need this large a trailer? Depending on where you want to camp, you'll find it limiting in terms of state and national parks, etc.

You also need to consider the terrain in which you'll be traveling. You haven't told us where you live but hills and mountains make things even more challenging.

I'm going beyond the intent of your posting but, if I were in your position, I'd consider buying a smaller, previously owned trailer in good condition that's well within your truck's towing ability. That way, you can spend a couple of years sorting out exactly what you want/need in terms of an RV not to mention learning to tow with an easier to handle trailer. You won't be spending megabucks on a new trailer and new truck (along with a huge first year depreciation hit) only to find out you should have bought something different or that RVing isn't for you. Contrary to what you might expect, new in the RV world, doesn't mean trouble free. There will always be another smoking deal.

I should mention that, prior to owning my current motorhome, I owned travel trailers for over twelve years.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

This online towing calculator removes any cheast-beating by owners and salesmen, and only deals with numbers and facts to arrive at an accurate and concise answer.

The answer may not what you want to hear, however it is the correct answer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing