Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towing Package for Ford Fiesta

We just bought a Ford Fiesta to be towed behind our 2018 View. We are looking for recommendations for a base plate and tow bar. I do not want a base plate that sticks out in front of the car. Also since I am getting older, low weight is a plus.

Also looking for a dealer in North Houston that sells and installs tow packages.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
Site Team

I think just about any baseplate is going to have some sort of "sticking out" it's just locating the one that sticks out the least, I'm guessing.

BlueOx shows a couple for the Fiesta. That's what we put on our Mini Cooper. when the tow pins are removed and from 20 feet away you can barely see that there is a towplate installed. (we have a black grille on the car)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We found the newer Fords with electronic transmissions come with a lot more problems than just the mounting otf the tow bar. We did get it all installed by pros as it required a lot of body removal to get to the frame for mounting the solid attachments but that part was okay and we did get one that allows us to remove the points sticking out, so that all that is left is the hole in the grill and the electronics connection for lights and brakes. The transmission s where we really ran into a lot of techie work that I decided was best left to pro folks. Have you checked the book on how to set it up to tow?
Our 2015 Focus has to have a specific procedure done to let the electronic transmission work for four down towing. Not just a matter of putting it in neutral as the electronics have to be right and that requires a battery cutoff if you don't want to disconnect the cables every time.
We went Blue Ox for the mounting, even though the bar itself seems way over duty. We like the ease of mounting the tow "stubs" into the grill as they are a simple snap-in deal but putting the towbar on the motorhome is pretty heavy.
Overall we are happy to have had it done as we wanted it set to go to any state and fighting through figuring out cutting off power to the transmission and still having power for the brake system was a bit of a trick. It makes sense now that I've seen what they did but not something I wanted to figure out from scratch.
If interested in the total bill, Give me a PM and I can e-mail a copy of the bill for install and all the little extra parts required on our car. Total of $4194 back in 2018 here in Austin for full inst and all parts for towing and the required RVI brake system.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing