Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

towing a jeep wrangler

What kind of setup am i looking at to pull a jeep behind my class a winnebago intent,want the bar mounted to the jeep that hooks to the winnie,cost,recommendations,thanks
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I use a blue ox setup. Had the baseplate installed on the jeep, a tow bar from the RV and a Patriot braking system. Easy to set up each time.
Pdwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Towing a Jeep Wrangler

2011 JK with a Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot brake system, no base plate I have an aftermarket bumper, i purchased adapters for the blue ox tow system that connect directly to aftermarket bumper. Hope this helps. I rebuilt towbar as i purchased it used thats why its yellow and black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	516.7 KB
ID:	174466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	174467  

Old 08-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Does it still ride good pulling the jeep behind it with that setup?Were looking at jeep wranglers now,deciding what we want to pull behind it
Old 08-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I can definitely tell the difference, it does require more effort in turns. I will have to say it's due to the oversized tires on my JEEP (35's) and it's lifted other than that I have not really noticed anything. I think if it had factory tires and factory height I wouldn't even know it was there. My opinion
Old 08-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Broad St, you're asking two questions. 1st, what tow bar setup to tow a jeep, and 2nd, is a Jeep a good towed vehicle. Think you'll find that a Wrangler is the number 1 toad in the country. I don't believe we can all be wrong. I'm using a Blue Ox bar and an Air Force One break.
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ready Brute Elite

I have been using the Ready Brute Elite for almost 15 years without issue. It’s all in one tow bar and brake system. It also costs a lot less overall. Only takes a couple minutes to hook up or disconnect. It’s a surge brake type, that pulls a cable that you attach to your brake pedal.
It’s a very popular set-up for Jeep owners. Read up on it here:
https://nsatowbars.com/products/read...SABEgJwIPD_BwE

I bought a very simple wire kit that plugs right into the Jeep tail lights.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/hopki...les-56200.html

What year are you looking at getting? If a JK, I have a Currie base plate that you can have for the cost of shipping. https://www.quadratec.com/products/92012_26_07.htm

I got new bumpers and went with the Maximus 3 tow hooks.
https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-acce...-/jl-tow-loops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA1A7A46-09C7-46B6-957A-8A0975875F8E.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	174537  
Old 08-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We tow our JK with a standard Blue Ox Fixed bar. Many are not fans of the old school setup but i've been using tow bars all my life. Takes wife and I 5 minutes to hook up. I have a custom from bumper so didn't need a base plate. For lights went with MOPAR harness. Use a brake buddy classic for supplimental braking. I know its behind me on hills but other than that tows like a dream. Its mostly stock other than some Rubi tires.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We use a Blue Ox system to tow our ‘13 JK. Works great. Most of the time you don’t even notice it’s back there. Blue ox lighting kit to use existing Jeep taillights. We towed a TJ behind our former Class C for many years and never had a problem. Happy travels ��
Bill Forbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
I have been using the Ready Brute Elite for almost 15 years without issue. It’s all in one tow bar and brake system. It also costs a lot less overall. Only takes a couple minutes to hook up or disconnect. It’s a surge brake type, that pulls a cable that you attach to your brake pedal.
It’s a very popular set-up for Jeep owners. Read up on it here:
https://nsatowbars.com/products/read...SABEgJwIPD_BwE

I bought a very simple wire kit that plugs right into the Jeep tail lights.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/hopki...les-56200.html

What year are you looking at getting? If a JK, I have a Currie base plate that you can have for the cost of shipping. https://www.quadratec.com/products/92012_26_07.htm
Pretty much the exact same setup we have. I absolutely love the Ready Brute Elite. The Curry baseplate was simple to install. We also have a YJ with home-fabbed tow connection (tube bumper). The RBE doesn't care which one it is hooked up to. Now, the Vista does notice the extra 1,000 lbs behind it in the hills.

2006 Winnebago Vista 29R
2011 Jeep JK Sahara
1995 Jeep YJ
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2019 Winnebago Spirit 26A towing a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. We went with a Roadmaster baseplate, towbar (Nighthawk) and braking system (InvisiBrake). Very easy to connect and disconnect. The Jeep tows very well, if I didn't see it in the rear monitor, I wouldn't know it was there. One piece of advice, make sure the tow bar is near level between MH and toad. Do you homework and pick the system that works best for you. Have fun!
Leander Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #12
Skyhawker

I have the same setup as Rideor Die. 2009 Adventurer 35A towing a 2014 Wrangler JKU (3-1/2" lift and 33" tires) with Blue Ox Towbar (got the lighter one, think it is the Ascent), Blue Ox adapters to connect directly to the aftermarket front bumper (tank grade steel with a winch), no base plate and a Patriot II braking system. Takes about 15 minutes to hook-up. I run the breakaway sensor cable to the Patriot under the driver's floor mat so I never have to remove it and power the Patriot from the hot 12 volt outlet in the console. Only negative is the foot well of the Wrangler has a step down from the seat, so the Patriot wouldn't sit right. Solution is to put a piece of 2x12x12 in the foot well for it to sit on, then it works fine. Minor inconvenience. I've towed this way for 2 years and about 7,000 miles.

I did have the rubber boot on one of the towbar arms fail last year, but Blue Ox sent me a set of replacements N/C.
Skyhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2016 Via pulling a 2019 Jeep Rubicon (2 door) using Roadmaster baseplate, Roadmaster tow bar and ReadyBrake RB-4000. This hookup takes about 10 -15 minutes to hook up and disconnect. I love it after trying a dolly for a year this is a dream. I love the Ready Brake too. I had a Roadmaster 9700 and was not happy. Decided to keep it simple and not use any internal brake system like the 9700 switching to the ReadyBrake. It was always a hassle installing and calibrating the brake system, now it is just one cable.
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I pull a 2012 jk behind my 2019 24d view with blue ox and patriot brake. Works great. I have a base plate because local law enforcement said hooking to aftermarket bumper is not recommended. Great system. Jeep tracks perfectly and braking is very good.
Katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Towed my 2010 Jeep Wrangler for 7.5 years, no problems ever. I installed a Blue-ox baseplate myself, used a Blue-ox tow bar, and a Brake Buddy portable braking system.

35k tow miles, 65k on the speedometer, that's 100k on the chassis, never an issue.

Needed a replacement as the wife's new upgrades, new hip, knee, back hardware over the years made it hard to get up and into the Wrangler. So a change was needed three years ago.

Got a new 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Installed a Blue-ox baseplate, and used the rest of the system, and off we went. Cherokee takes a couple of extra minutes to prepare, but we just hook up and go. No extra worries of battery or extra cable hookups.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

thanks for the info YGOHOME,we just bought a 2013 jeep wrangler sport 2dr hardtop.Next step is getting a tow package
Old 08-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROAD ST View Post
thanks for the info YGOHOME,we just bought a 2013 jeep wrangler sport 2dr hardtop.Next step is getting a tow package
Congrats on the Jeep, Mark. Let me know if you want the Currie baseplate.

-Robb
Old 08-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
Congrats on the Jeep, Mark. Let me know if you want the Currie baseplate.

-Robb
If he doesn't, I'm surely interested. I have been toying around with the idea of getting rid of the YJ and looking at an early JK.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Picked up a 2020 JL unlimited in April. I already had a blue ox Avail towbar (10,000lb capacity) the JL is a diesel and significantly > 5000lbs. Many towbars are limited to 5000. I installed Maxiumus 3 JL Tow Loops behind the factory steel bumper. Blue Ox sells special fittings for the towbar to match these loops. I also installed the Mopar RV Tow Harness. I took the rig to Athens, TX to let M&G engineering install their braking system.

Very happy with result. Only downside is this is a much heavier vehicle than the manual diesel VW that I used to tow. I notice the drag.

Alex
2004 Itasca Meridian
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Sent you a private message YGOHOME

Tags
tow, towing