Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 05:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Towing a boat instead of your car.

Hello all quick question? I bought a boat and want to travel with it. Now I cant towe two vehicles,unless I have one of those special trailers which is not going to happen. When you get to your lake area, how do you launch your boat? Are other boaters willing to help out and launch and retrive your boat?
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well you will have a problem:

Backing down a launching ramp in a Class A will be difficult and dangerous, so don't.

Also it is doubtful that you will get any help from others in launching and retrieving your boat. Think about it: The other boater has to drop his trailer so he can hook up to yours. That is difficult for most boat ramps where boat/trailer parking is head in. Then you have to find a place to disconnect your 60' long trailer/RV rig and drive forward. Even more difficult. Then the helpful boater has to hook up to your rig, launch it and then park your trailer, disconnect and reconnect with his trailer.

I can't imagine anyone and certainly not me going through all of this rigamarole to help an RVer towing a boat.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Renting a pickup truck is the only solution I see, and I'm not sure whether those rentals are set up so that you can attach a ball to them.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Considered a front hitch on the RV for launching? It is a personal problem that I would not even consider asking for others to do, so a bit of extra work/time for me is the way I would go. Launching with an RV will be somewhat tricky as you have an almost too big rig for many ramps but the front hitch does make it doable. I would not do it often! Too many different ramp layouts to figure it.

It can be a case of wanting too many things at the same time and it may be a time to set priorities. Often the big RV or the boat has to go as it is not easy to deal both at the same time. Sounds like a truck camper is more the type needed if the boat is required.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Sounds like a truck camper is more the type needed if the boat is required.
If we're going to open it up to different equipment, how about a 14' Aluminum boat that could be carried by two people? That would be a breeze to tow too.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I've never done it but, if the ramp isn't too long and steep, how about a power winch and long cable?

I also saw quite a few postings discussing winch/cable set-ups for boat houses with ramps to the water.

That would at least keep your RV out of the danger area.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Heck, I towed and launched an aluminum skiff with our Suncruiser, at the boat launch at Monterey, CA, into the Pacific. It drew a crowd of lookyloos.

That was back in the 80s, before rear view cameras. I made my own with a 12 volt "security" camera from the DAK catalog, and mounted the camera inside the rear window over the bed.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

A lot of it will depend on the layout of the ramp. Some are wide open and a piece of cake to hit while others seem to have been designed to frustrate the user! Launching on a nice day can be okay but the same idea with a group of crazed people waiting on a holiday is not worth the trip!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The DW would launch and retrieve our 18' runabout with a 32' Tag Axle Airex.
We used a front hitch. She could thread a needle with it. Our drive was~150'. and she would push it drown the drive into the shop. I always walked beside when she was driving as the lookout. And ready to launch.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When we go on a camping/fishing trip each year, to a park about 125 miles away, my husband drives the motorhome and tows our boat. I follow in his pickup so we have that for loading and unloading the boat. And that gives us transportation while at that park, too. It's not the most practical solution, but it works well for us.
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Itascajoe,

What kind of rig do you have? If it's a Class C under 30' it's a doable launch with the boat. By-the-way, how big is the boat? We launched our 21' cuddy cabin with the 24-D Tioga we had for many years- at different ramps. Later on we got a bigger rig and boat. My wife drives our Expedition that we now use as a launch vehicle. As you can see, things vary with size.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have trailered a 25' 8,000# boat behind a beefed up 30' RV over 15,000 miles and a number of solo launches. It. certainly can be done. It takes experience and patience. I have never had a front bumper hitch, but that certainly would be easier.

Using the mirrors is better than relying on the backup camera for me. The boat blocks the back of the trailer. I have also put a second back up camera on top of the boat to show the ramp behind the boat if necessary. In some ways a large boat with long wheel base is easier than a very short boat trailer wheelbase.

Go to a parking lot, set up cones and practice, practice and more practice. It can be done.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Why don't you get a "Fold Boat"? They mount to the side of your rv with stainless steel brackets and have a thin profile. As an added bonus the boat is fairly light weight and is easy to launch.
phreddyphrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

RV'rs launch boats with motor homes quite often however it does not always work out well for them especially if your dog likes to sit in the drivers seat.

This is real and was not staged. It was caught by another teams cameras as they were documenting their entry into the fishing tournament.

Note that some launch ramps at marinas do have launch services with extensions and yard tractors available so one could also search out marinas with launch services near their campgrounds. In Florida many community boating centers that provide boat storage have a vacation package that provides launch service for a flat weekly or monthly fee.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Itascajoe,

What kind of rig do you have? If it's a Class C under 30' it's a doable launch with the boat. By-the-way, how big is the boat? We launched our 21' cuddy cabin with the 24-D Tioga we had for many years- at different ramps. Later on we got a bigger rig and boat. My wife drives our Expedition that we now use as a launch vehicle. As you can see, things vary with size.
We have a Meridian 40U and the boat is an 18ft. I dont think I'll be backing the rig down.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
RV'rs launch boats with motor homes quite often however it does not always work out well for them especially if your dog likes to sit in the drivers seat.

This is real and was not staged. It was caught by another teams cameras as they were documenting their entry into the fishing tournament.

Note that some launch ramps at marinas do have launch services with extensions and yard tractors available so one could also search out marinas with launch services near their campgrounds. In Florida many community boating centers that provide boat storage have a vacation package that provides launch service for a flat weekly or monthly fee.
Thank you for your advice. This seems to be the best. I will look into this.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I will be trying it this fall going to Wawheap campground at Lake Powell . My RV is 37'5" and the boat with trailer is 26'7". I have launched only with my Suburban in the past but have been told the ramp there is 150 ft wide and hopefully not too crowded in mid-September.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Well you will have a problem:

Backing down a launching ramp in a Class A will be difficult and dangerous, so don't.

David
Not sure if im missing something here... "Difficult"??? I guess if someone finds it difficult.. then its difficult.
But if you dont find it difficult in the very least ... is it still difficult??

"Dangerous"? Other than backing down an overly steep or slippery ramp.. Is there something other than the person doing the launching acting or driving in a dangerous fashion that would make this just inherently dangerous?

I tow and launch my 20ft center console with my 32ft Class A all the time .. Ive actually had "ramp watchers" come up and tell me I was "a real disappointment!" They were really expecting some entertainment when they saw me pull in Lol..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34340.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	174964  
UrbanTarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I never had a problem launching my 22.5' boat behind my Brave.

Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

It wasn't as bad as your pic, but over 40 years ago, I was with my uncle at Lake Louise in Alaska. He towed his boat up with his Winnebago. We had a great time, caught tons of fish. Big Rainbows, Lake Trout, Burbot and more Grayling than we could possibly keep. At the end of the trip, while pulling the boat out, the Winnie snapped an axle, providing a frustrating end to a fantastic trip. 6 hours later we were out, but still hours from a mechanic. We grabbed a ride out in a friend's float plane and came back a week later to get the boat and Winnie. Not sure what it cost, but it had to be a lot. I'm sure plenty of folks get away with launching with a motor home. But if things go wrong...
Old Navy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing