Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2020, 08:42 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

OK, We have an 2018 Aspect 30J, pulling a 21 ft Skeeter Bass Boat on many trips around the area. We would never back our RV down a ramp. Main reasons the back overhang has the boat hanging from the ball because it is so far behind rear axle, the RV is level, and the ramp and boat are going down! Second main reason. I never want my drive wheels near the water, or slick ramps. When I can, I pay someone $20.00 to launch, or pull my boat out if they are interested when camp is set up. Usually not a problem. I try to launch when ramp is not busy. Drop the boat in front of ramp out of the way of others. Turn the RV around and put boat on front E450 hitch so the wife can back me down ramp. We are getting really good at it. We are face to face. We can see and hear each other. The drive dual wheels are often not even on ramp when the boat is in the water. Note. You need to mechanically or electrically open the brake solenoid to back a trailer with surge brakes.
I put a trailer receptacle in the front grill I plug into so my backup lights work when I plug the trailer in to launch. I also use this 12v. plug for my lights on our flagpole at night that mounts in the front hitch when camp is set up.
RiverGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

All good feedback and ideas. One great idea is practice. Try to have help. Good luck!
SoCo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

A lot depends on:

1. How good you are at backing and launching.

2. How steep and wide the ramp is. I'd never attempt a ramp like this with a MH:

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

That would scare me too!!!!
And you mentioned backing? I push my boat in the water with a front ball. Easy to see where you are going and what is happening. Especially when I am in boat, and wife is backing me down. And.. I am in SE, mostly Florida, and ramps are not that steep.
RiverGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGeneral View Post
That would scare me too!!!!
And you mentioned backing? I push my boat in the water with a front ball. Easy to see where you are going and what is happening. Especially when I am in boat, and wife is backing me down. And.. I am in SE, mostly Florida, and ramps are not that steep.
The one I posted is in NM but here in CA we have similar ramps, particularly in the reservoirs where the water levels fluctuate quite a bit.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I don't see a problem. If your not very good at backing up a boat trailer then get some practice and go for it. If you have a follower vehicle use that to launch. It will undoubtedly be easier.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
A lot depends on:

1. How good you are at backing and launching.

2. How steep and wide the ramp is. I'd never attempt a ramp like this with a MH:

No way. Not w/o a 4wd truck!
Old 10-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTarzan View Post
Not sure if im missing something here... "Difficult"??? I guess if someone finds it difficult.. then its difficult.
But if you dont find it difficult in the very least ... is it still difficult??

"Dangerous"? Other than backing down an overly steep or slippery ramp.. Is there something other than the person doing the launching acting or driving in a dangerous fashion that would make this just inherently dangerous?

I tow and launch my 20ft center console with my 32ft Class A all the time .. Ive actually had "ramp watchers" come up and tell me I was "a real disappointment!" They were really expecting some entertainment when they saw me pull in Lol..
I agree. It's all about your skill level and the layout of the ramp. If you aren't comfortable doing it, you probably shouldn't. I would guess the long overhang on the RV would make it tricky but the rear tires being farther way from the waters edge would be better so....
Old 10-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I tow a small sailboat with my Class C Minnie. I usually just ask someone with a pickup to help me launch it. They are usually very happy to help. I drop my boat and trailer in the trailer parking lot by the ramp. Wait for someone and ask. I have had good success.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing