Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Towing a 2108

We just purchased a 2018 micro minnie 2108. Previous owner towed it with a Chevy Colorado diesel. No problems but he did mention it could slow to 40mph up a steep Colorado mountain. Would that be pretty typical? And what about towing 5000 lbs (3900 dry weight) with hitch weight around 700 lbs (410 dry) with a mid size truck. We prefer the smaller vehicle for the 90% of the time we will use it without the camper. But also don't want to regret issues with too small of a vehicle when traveling. Curious what others are towing with. Please tell me mid size trucks (with proper specs, I.e.tow package) will work with this camper.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I ordered a 2306BHS and I have a Colorado V6 with the tow package. I have about 1000 pounds left on the payload when we are all in it but I’m estimating the tongue weight is gonna be more than 700 pounds. You have to add everything that’s loaded in the back of the pickup truck behind the rear axle.
greenblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

So what is the hitch weight maximum of the Colorado? That is more of a concern for me than the payload. Is see a lot of info on towing capacity but not hitch weight. Is there an assumption that if you are within the towing capacity you will be within the limit on hitch weight? .....I do have a 1200lb Reese stabilizer hitch. Thanks
Old 11-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My hitch says 900 pounds tongue weight, 7700 towing capacity. I have 7000lbs Towing capacity. The diesel is 7700 so they must use the same hitch for both. Payload is the big problem. The gvwr on my truck is 6000. So the tongue weight is added to that too. So the hitch that is installed can tow 7700 pounds and hold a tongue weight of 900 but doesn’t mean the vehicle can do that. I’m new to all this still. I haven’t picked up the trailer yet but I look up everything every night for the last 2 months. I was looking at a weight distribution hitch and that’s when I found out that whatever you put in the truck bed is part of the weight so you need to calculate that when sizing a WDH. At least that’s what etrailer says. Blue ox makes a 750 and a 1000 I was leaning towards the 1000.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. Good info. I am vaselating between mid and full size truck. I think a diesel mid size will do fine. But with winter approaching, I have plenty of time to decide.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Team

“I bought too much truck to tow my Travel Trailer” said no one ever.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You must be rich. Full size trucks used cost over $25000 with 80000 miles or more. Who wants a giant truck anyways. Mid size truck are the same size older fulls size where 10 years ago.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wait, I must sell my paid off 2018 Colorado that’s within specs to tow, so I can get one that’s over kill and have a $600 payment. ��
Old 11-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

This may be important?
Quote:
I’m new to all this still.

Some folks have been towing trailers for a long time!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We towed our 2108 all summer with a 2020 Tacoma and - even though I know I shouldn't - I was able to keep to the speed limit of 100 km/hour on BC mountain roads, up and down passes with no problems.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Do you intend to tow in the mountains?

We tow a 2306 with our diesel Colorado and I would expect it to slow up steep grades towing that camper. Also, any truck without a turbocharger is going to produce reduced power at higher elevations, so a V6 Colorado will have more difficulty towing in higher elevations.

There are things about towing a full size would make easier.
1: Control on a windy day, a bigger truck will just make that easier
2: Ride quality: a bigger vehicle is just likely to ride better towing a decent size trailer.
3: Payload: you are less likely to be up against your upper payload limit if you get a full-size with the right package.

Our diesel has plenty of power for towing the camper, I don’t really want more. Owning a diesel is a bit different than a gasser in my mind, you have to love vehicles a bit more.
pmglidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

That's the same trailer that I have, I had a Chevy Colorado when I bought it. The truck pulled okay but it just didn't seem to be a comfortable pull. I traded for a Tahoe and the difference is like night and day, much easier, even relaxing to tow the camper. I thought the Tahoe would be too big for around town and everyday use but check the specs for the size, I think the Tahoe is 6" wider and 8" shorter than the Colorado.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Towing 2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
We just purchased a 2018 micro minnie 2108. Previous owner towed it with a Chevy Colorado diesel. No problems but he did mention it could slow to 40mph up a steep Colorado mountain. Would that be pretty typical? And what about towing 5000 lbs (3900 dry weight) with hitch weight around 700 lbs (410 dry) with a mid size truck. We prefer the smaller vehicle for the 90% of the time we will use it without the camper. But also don't want to regret issues with too small of a vehicle when traveling. Curious what others are towing with. Please tell me mid size trucks (with proper specs, I.e.tow package) will work with this camper.
I have a 2108 and I tow mine with a 2019 Ram Rebel with a 5.7 , I had no problem through the mountains of Ky and Tn , towed it from Michigan to Florida and had plenty of power. Haven't been to Co. yet .
Mstench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

There is no doubt the bigger the vehicle the “better” the tow. I am just considering the unrelated factors to towing as well, I.e. non-towing use and practicality. My wife would not drive a full size (she’s 5’2), full size filing up the garage, additional cost? I will drive in mountains probably two trips a year, otherwise flat to rolling hills. Having said, if a mid size is going to cause stress anytime a semi passes, I don’t want to deal with that.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Tow Vehicle specs.

Remember for stability the longer wheel base makes things more directionally stable while towing or while traversing slippery roads with our without a tail or during cross winds etc.
Some newer vehicles have automatic trailer sway mitigation technology, also they may accommodate crosswind autocorrection.

Vans and SUVs can also tow well thank you, many rival trucks in towing capacity and provide slightly better mpg when towing and or Bob tailing. The advanced technology will assist in handling bigly. The convenience of having a huge cavernous Van or SUV to cart stuff around is totally awesome, dry, secure and when tied down totally safe. Stay safe .and double check the rig after very stop to make sure things are still the way they should be.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I've not pulled a trailer in the mountains of the east, though I've traveled in to the Smokies and such. But I've grown up, and traveled in the west; and routinely traveled up over our mountain passes here. The older mountains along the east are much more worn, rolling, and gentle; than the you ranges in the west. They are more like our lower rolling hills to us of the northern west. It's an easier driving experience than out west is. It would greatly play into the tow vehicle I'd choose if I lived there. Smaller engined vehicles, especially those normally aspirated, will work pretty hard in our western mountains and passes. Unless you lived here though, I'd not be all that concerned, over a rare trip west - but for those of us that routinely drive here, it would color my engine and vehicle considerations greatly.
And of course, being willing to slow down, rather than throttle up; on the big, long, inclines; is much more cost effective too. A consideration my younger self failed to comprehend at all. "Do what?"
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #17

I've been towing my 2108DS around Utah all summer with a Honda Ridgeline. We have lot's of mountains and so far I've had no problems at all. I have an Equalizer hitch and trailer brakes.
Mark L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

My F-350 diesel is adequate for my 2100BH.

Just for reference, my loaded tongue weight is 675 lbs on the 2100BH. I have two 6V batteries and two 30lb propane tanks. Everything heavy in the trailer (not all that much really) is in the front storage compartment, so I have not tried to balance it using the area under the bunks (that area is almost empty). You could dial back the tongue weight by adding a few things under the bunks.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

BACKTRACK15 great point on load balancing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
My F-350 diesel is adequate for my 2100BH.

Just for reference, my loaded tongue weight is 675 lbs on the 2100BH. I have two 6V batteries and two 30lb propane tanks. Everything heavy in the trailer (not all that much really) is in the front storage compartment, so I have not tried to balance it using the area under the bunks (that area is almost empty). You could dial back the tongue weight by adding a few things under the bunks.

Here in the US we seem to follow a different logic from over in EU and elsewhere. Here its all about making sure the hitch weight is.... There the rule of thumb is you can tow upto 85 percent of the curbweight of your vehicle (GVWR) or the amount mentioned by the manuf. You will note many cars sold in EU and here will provide higher tow ratings in EU!!

As to how to load a "caravan" er trailer here is a pic.

The above gestalt keeps the towing vehicle from dragging arse and steering loss issues, while allowing for a balanced approach, but then we are American's used to doing things non metric or ahem Imperially! Hmmm Do we hearken back to the Royal dictator concept or follow the forefathers and their constitutional way by moving along to the Metric World. Centimeters, and decimal system is so much easier eh, but them fracticious fractional inches, 1/8 and 1/4 and 1/16th sure do keep the brain wrinkles going.
US gestalt on load balancing a trailer is....
Old 11-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

The second diagram is a pretty decent representation of the location of the cargo spaces in Micro Minnies (except the bunkhouse models). You’d have a hard time loading it any other way (excluding the water) without bolting things onto the bumper. The 85% of GVWR method does help avoid the tail wagging the dog problem that crops up here in the land of BIG caravans.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing