Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthiggy View Post
We towed a 2019 FIT to Canada on a dolly in PARK with no ill effects. However, I fail to see an issue with towing a FIT on a dolly in NEUTRAL. The dolly we used had both front wheel straps and safety chains around the front axles. No way that FIT was coming off the dolly.
And that is what I think I will do.

It worried me that the car might be more likely to roll off of the dolly in Neutral than it would in Park but I guess between good wheel straps and some chains that should not be a problem. Plus, of course, there is the comfort of knowing that I will be doing what I was told to do so if anything happens I can honestly say that I was following their directions.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, it’s not gonna roll off in Neutral . Plus you have it safely chained to the dolly(yes?).
Old 02-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
Yeah, it’s not gonna roll off in Neutral . Plus you have it safely chained to the dolly(yes?).
Well, I will when I end up getting the dolly. Don't have it yet, and the company has now delayed delivery twice so I am not sure that I will not have to change the dolly company.

Was going to get an American until the delays. Now the delivery is scheduled during one of our trips and I may have to change to the Tow Smart Stand Up tow dolly since they are on our way back from California. Has anyone used one of those?
Old 02-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Tow smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Well, I will when I end up getting the dolly. Don't have it yet, and the company has now delayed delivery twice so I am not sure that I will not have to change the dolly company.

Was going to get an American until the delays. Now the delivery is scheduled during one of our trips and I may have to change to the Tow Smart Stand Up tow dolly since they are on our way back from California. Has anyone used one of those?
Yes, that is the one we use. Works great and does indeed stand up easily for stowage. If you are picking it up in LA then they will assemble it for you. And give some in person training. I recorded it for remembering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15638CB7-73C9-4AA5-A661-DD5D6E06A200.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	172899  
Old 02-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
Yes, that is the one we use. Works great and does indeed stand up easily for stowage. If you are picking it up in LA then they will assemble it for you. And give some in person training. I recorded it for remembering.
Apparently there is a $95 change for the assembly and, I suppose, for the demo. Fortunately it seems pretty close to both I-5 and I-10 so getting to it from around Oceanside seems pretty simple as does getting back to Arizona on I-10. I am not sure what it will tow like without being loaded since we would be traveling without our car.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

It tows fine- just needs less air in the tires. Assembly cost and training are well worth the money in my book.

Tags
tow, towing