Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

I'll add a post because someone posted about Subaru above. It is becoming increasingly common for manufacturers to declare "no flat tow" etc. on their vehicles. It appears we must now fend off the demons independently sometimes. As we know, forget CVT transmissions for tow.

I am towing a 2018 Subaru Forester with 6 speed manual and so far it is working great after about 5k miles flat towed. I checked with several Subaru mechanics and the running gear is the same as in "towable" year models. It was an easy setup with Roadmaster tow plate and it is a dream to tow. I used the wireless remote led lightbar. One issue is you must leave the key in ignition in the off position. Turn it on then depress and leave it there in the OFF position. This also leaves part of the computer active which will drain the battery after four or five 8 hour days of towing.

I did have issues with the factory 7 pin connector from WGO on the Sprinter and ran the chase back and forth. There is a WGO installed jumper on that 7 pin connector. Yes, I was aware of the tow module activating the 7 pin plug only with the key on. Yes, WGO shipped the made up jumper with the ground pin only partially installed. Yes, Mercedes told me to go out and pull gently on every pin wire in the 7 pin, especially the ground pin. I did and the ground pulled completely out - never was connected in the plug properly at the factory.

Then WGO was on vacation and I had a mandatory trip across country. The folks at etrailer had a fix. Jumper again and I wired the loose ground into the jumper to 7 pin - dang it! It all worked great for the trip. Now I've gotta get WGO to make up a new factory jumper to get it all back to OEM - or not. About $200 for the little jumper from them.

This was not my first rodeo in setting up a tow vehicle but certainly the most interesting. Blowing fuses on the Sprinter with the battery charge line because of the bad ground wire etc. Temporary and possibly permanent fix I made a battery box with a BattleBorn 100 AH LFP and mounted a PD9145 LV charger on top. Runs the Brake Buddy and the LED light bar a week towing and never gets below 80% charge. Still the draw on the Suby battery from the key in OFF position means I must pull a charge line for convenience - some day.

All considered Subaru is probably right in not recommending this vehicle for flat tow based on the partial computer activation with the key inserted in ignition but that seems a small consideration with a charge line independent of the 7 pin Sprinter plug. Otherwise the mechanics of the driveline are not an issue and are the same as the last towable year Forester - with manual tranny. It is a great toad, no issues at all behind the Sprinter. Keep in mind this is not the Touring or Limited issue but a rather standard Premium with 6 speed manual.

As with all things RV related - YMMV. This is not an endorsement to ignore the manufacturer's warranty status or tow anything not in the MH Tow Guide. Just relating that other solutions are possible. Check to see if tow plates are available and what experts recommend - like Remco. Finally, the Forester is no longer available with manual tranny, 2018 was the last year so they settled that discussion abruptly. Tow plates are available for other manual tranny models however. The '18 Forester has electric assist steering which induced no problem at all in 5k miles. You must add towed miles to your tire rotation schedule since this is an all wheel drive vehicle.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow