Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Minnie Winnie 31k team

Tow gear recommendations

Just bought a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport...it has a baseplate/tow bar already....any recommendations on braking system?...thanks all
mikecav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is a perennial question with a myriad of recommendations and opinions. There are three basic categories of braking systems, each with its proponents and detractors, advantages and disadvantages. They are, in order of relative cost:

1. Purely mechanical systems (aka surge brake systems) like Ready Brake or ReadyBrute fit sense the pressure your toad exerts on your hitch as you brake and pull on a cable between the front of your toad to the toad's brake pedal, activating the toad's brake.

2. Portable electro-mechanical units like the Brake Buddy, fit between the brake pedal and the driver's seat. They use some sort of electrically triggered ram to push on your toad's brake pedal when you push on your motorhome's brake pedal.

3. Then there are a variety of systems like the Air Force One, that are permanently installed on your toad and activate your toad brakes via air, hydraulics, or electromechanical means.

My personal choice was the Ready Brake. I liked it's engineering simplicity and the fact it doesn't depend on electronics or a steady electrical connection. I also like that there is nothing to install/uninstall when converting from tow mode to drive mode and back again (other than connecting a couple of cables). I also like the cost.

The good news is, if you stick with a name brand, you probably can't go wrong. Most people like what they have and true horror stories are rare. Unless you know the seller, I'd advise against buying used, there's just too much risk involved.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm going to agree with Bob's opinion and broad overview. And you are smart to throw this out to the forum for a variety of opinions to cogitate on.

We run a VIP Towbrake. It falls under Bob's electro-mechanical group. We purchased it because we were new to the dinghy towing world. Our advice came from friends who had their own bias'. We chose VIP because it seemed lighter (still not a featherweight), easier to install the various components, and easier to rig/unrig than others that look like big boxes or portable sat antennas. We still like it. It still preferable over similar. Has given us no trouble. We have no intention of replacing it.

Yet.

When we do need replace it, we(I) are very interested in a dispassionate looksee at systems that do not require you to squat, reach under the dash to slip in a pin, then another pin at the seat base. Then plug in electric. At 71 I can still squat. That may not be the case in five years.

Before you purchase, get some real world observations of fellow RV'rs in the park as they rig/unrig their system.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
At 71 I can still squat. That may not be the case in five years.
It's not the squatting that's the problem, it's the getting back up!

I'm 71, too (for a few more months).
Old 08-29-2018, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

As stated, there are a lot of good options out there. I can't say that ours is better or worse than another, but it works and is as easy to use as we could find.

We went with the Stay in Play Duo system. It is an electro/pneumatic system that is installed in the toad, you can't see it other than a small switch/sensitivity adjust box. There is nothing to do except hook up to the motorhome and turn on a switch in the toad.

One of the things I like about it besides easy to use is, it will not activate your toad brakes if you are using engine braking down hill. Braking will only occur when the motorhome brakes are applied and when the adjustable sensitivity settings are met. It also has an LED light that mounts in the drivers cab of the motorhome that tells you when the toad brake pedal has moved away from rest position (toad brakes activated). A good feature to verify operation and helps greatly in adjusting to the desired sensitivity. Also has the breakaway feature to stop the toad should it ever become disconnected from the motorhome.

We've driven cross country through all types of terrain, so far we're very happy with it
Old 08-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Another vote for the Ready Brake. We bought the Ready Brute Elite towbar with the built-in surge brake 6 years ago and have had no issues.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Team

We use the Brake Buddy Classic. Inexpensive, no installation, move it to any car. We bought ours on eBay for $600 and used it in our Fiat 500 Toad for two years. When we sold the Fiat and I got a towable Lincoln we simply moved it to the new car and it's worked just as well there.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I'm a big RVi brake fan. The system is small, light, and easy to set in the floor pan. You can easily add tire pressure monitoring to the RVi3 system if you don't have one and you will be all set.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Veteran & RV Owner

I just had my 2018 Explorer equipped to tow behind the 2016 Adventurer. LazyDays (Tampa, Florida) set me up with the Blue Ox BX7420 Tow Bar, Blue Ox BX2668 Base Plate for the Explorer, and a Blue Ox Patriot II Braking System. With all the extra wiring and parts required, it came to just over $5000 installed.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis View Post
I just had my 2018 Explorer equipped to tow behind the 2016 Adventurer. LazyDays (Tampa, Florida) set me up with the Blue Ox BX7420 Tow Bar, Blue Ox BX2668 Base Plate for the Explorer, and a Blue Ox Patriot II Braking System. With all the extra wiring and parts required, it came to just over $5000 installed.

If the work is done it is a little late for recommendations. I like Blue Ox products for the most part. The breaking system I would rather see, in your case, is this: https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...ay-in-play-duo.

Simple to use and no extra equipment to store or install in the towed.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

For what it's worth, and future readers may benefit, I didn't spend anywhere near what some others quote. This all went on my 2011 Honda Odyssey but would essentially be the same for almost any toad. Prices are approximate, +/- $20 or so. Shipping was free, sales tax not included.

Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar - $200 (from CL, almost new)*
Blue Ox Baseplate - $450
Ready Brake - $550 (incl. breakaway system)
RVI Towed Battery Charger- $55
Installation - DIY

Total $1,255 plus DIY time, blood & sweat

I paid a total of $750 for the Blue Ox tow bar and Ready Brake but, had I not already purchased the tow bar, I'd have purchased the Ready Brute Elite (integrated tow bar and braking system) for about $1,000, increasing my total cost by $250 to $1,505.

Aside from my CL tow bar find, my savings can be attributed to the lesser cost of the Ready Brake system compared to the Brake Buddy and other systems plus my DIY installation.

*I wouldn't advise buying a used tow bar on CL unless it's new, or in essentially new condition.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
For what it's worth, and future readers may benefit, I didn't spend anywhere near what some others quote. This all went on my 2011 Honda Odyssey but would essentially be the same for almost any toad. Prices are approximate, +/- $20 or so. Shipping was free, sales tax not included.

Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar - $200 (from CL, almost new)*
Blue Ox Baseplate - $450
Ready Brake - $550 (incl. breakaway system)
RVI Towed Battery Charger- $55
Installation - DIY

Total $1,255 plus DIY time, blood & sweat

I paid a total of $750 for the Blue Ox tow bar and Ready Brake but, had I not already purchased the tow bar, I'd have purchased the Ready Brute Elite (integrated tow bar and braking system) for about $1,000, increasing my total cost by $250 to $1,505.

Aside from my CL tow bar find, my savings can be attributed to the lesser cost of the Ready Brake system compared to the Brake Buddy and other systems plus my DIY installation.

*I wouldn't advise buying a used tow bar on CL unless it's new, or in essentially new condition.

Bob, I don't have the $$ I paid to do mine handy. I know what I spent was around what I spent for the tow dolly I dragged around with a Scion xA on it for about 10 years. (Had 2 dollies in fact.) The CR-V was not too hard to set up, and the AF1 the same. I am not a genius or NASC builder by any stretch of the imagination. Yet, I did the total job in my son's back yard. Way under $5K. Took a day if I recall correctly. Would have been quicker if I had the correct procedure for removing the grill from the get-go.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I recently purchased a used Winnebago RV from another individual. On the RV was a rather old Blue Ox tow bar. I began my search for a compatible tow bar and baseplate with this experience.

I started to inquire from dealers about various tow bars and baseplates and interestingly was continually guided to Roadmaster as a base plate choice. Eventually I contacted Blue Ox directly and it seemed to me that since the RV had previously had Blue Ox on it then I should go back and use the same.

I ordered and purchased both the Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar and the matching baseplate for my 2019 Ford Ranger.

Was that ever a mistake.

This weekend I completed the installation of the baseplate and have the following comments:

1) Whoever packed the contents was an idiot. They put in the incorrect bolts for the base plate and I had to go to local hardware store to find the correct bolts so I could complete the installation.
2) The instructions were ****! Inadequate explanations. Photos sucked. Worst installation instructions I have seen. Oh yes and when I call the company, I purchased it though “BlueOxTowBars.com” they have no idea how to install it but refer me to another number that is supposed to be actual Blue Ox but they are closed.
3) The bolts on a wire are somebody’s incredible stupid idea to cheapen the production of the baseplate and do not work and are next to impossible to install.

This was the most frustrating piece of equipment that I have ever installed on a vehicle. I was able to eventually get it installed but it was with a ridiculous amount of effort.

All 3 of the problems could easily be fixed, but apparently Blue Ox has chosen to not be a market leader in this effort.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #14
Site Team

Do you realize the company you bought your gear from is not connected to BlueOx? They are simply selling the product online. Your complaint should be with them. They are not BlueOx.

In the future, you would do better if you give your business to etrailer, or some other reputable company.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

we installed a Blue Ox Base Plate and tow bar along with Air Force One a few years ago and everything was complete. The only problem we had was removing the ford bumper which was spot welded on and had to be plasma torched off. Other than that al the parts were correct.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
I recently purchased a used Winnebago RV from another individual. On the RV was a rather old Blue Ox tow bar. I began my search for a compatible tow bar and baseplate with this experience.

I started to inquire from dealers about various tow bars and baseplates and interestingly was continually guided to Roadmaster as a base plate choice. Eventually I contacted Blue Ox directly and it seemed to me that since the RV had previously had Blue Ox on it then I should go back and use the same.

I ordered and purchased both the Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar and the matching baseplate for my 2019 Ford Ranger.

Was that ever a mistake.

This weekend I completed the installation of the baseplate and have the following comments:

1) Whoever packed the contents was an idiot. They put in the incorrect bolts for the base plate and I had to go to local hardware store to find the correct bolts so I could complete the installation.
2) The instructions were ****! Inadequate explanations. Photos sucked. Worst installation instructions I have seen. Oh yes and when I call the company, I purchased it though “BlueOxTowBars.com” they have no idea how to install it but refer me to another number that is supposed to be actual Blue Ox but they are closed.
3) The bolts on a wire are somebody’s incredible stupid idea to cheapen the production of the baseplate and do not work and are next to impossible to install.

This was the most frustrating piece of equipment that I have ever installed on a vehicle. I was able to eventually get it installed but it was with a ridiculous amount of effort.

All 3 of the problems could easily be fixed, but apparently Blue Ox has chosen to not be a market leader in this effort.

Just as a followup Blue Ox has been great calling me and generally concerned and seeking information. As I stated while frustrated I got the tow bar installed. I believe some of my suggestions will result in both changes to the instructions as well as possible design changes to the tow bar.

I really did appreciate their followup.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow