Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tongue weight observation

So we dewinterized the trailer, 2 108DS, and headed south for a couple weeks. Knowing we would have cold nights I left home with two full propane tanks. I was a little concerned about tongue weight but knew I did not have as much stuff in the cargo bay, being a winter outing. The 10 hour trip out was very smooth. By the trip home, we were down to one bottle of propane about 1/3 full. I didn’t think much about it, but the trailer was a bit Squirrley. I chalked it up to lots of wind and trucks passing by. But as the day progressed and nicer weather, and fewer trucks, I just was not happy with the trailers performance. I suddenly realized that we had a decrease in tongue weight due to propane use and may be the reason for the “funny” feel as going down the road. To the eye, the trailer was towing steady, no noticeable sway. At a gas stop I moved probably 50 pounds into the cargo bag and the improvement in the tow was significant. I know the importance of good balance for a smooth tow but learned firsthand the importance of keeping track of what is upfront on the trailer. If it weren’t for my sway control system I think I would’ve been all over the place coming home that day. Any advice? Refill propane tanks before coming home? Maybe making sure available cargo is moved to the front of the trailer? I would be interested in any other experiences related to emptying out propane bottles during a stay and it’s effect on tow performance.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Keith,
It makes me wonder if you are close to just 10%, but clearly your observation is proof of the anti-sway damping force that coupler weight provides. I know that 10% is a minimum, and if your tow vehicle will carry it, 15% provides a good margin. Is it possible to move your trailer wheels rearward? If not, certainly keeping the movable heavy things in your trailer as far forward as possible is a great idea.
It brings to mind the prototype 747 had its wings mounted too far forward, so 1,500 pounds of lead (or maybe it was tungsten?) were added right up at the nose to correct the problem.
Keep those two tanks full and have fun this camping season!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 02-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

On my last trailer I had a measured 300 lbs of tongue weight and a 3,500 lb trailer weight and had no sway problems. If you started to feel a little sway with the loss of 50 lbs on the tongue, I bet you were well below 10%, more like 7-8%.

So, I would permanently move some things forward to boost up the tongue weight, so you don't have to worry about your propane load.

David
Old 02-10-2022, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Team

I found this demonstration video of a model truck & trailer; pretty cool!
Old 02-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm curious if you dumped your black and grey tanks before heading home. If not, this certainly would have added some weight toward the rear and exacerbated any tendency to sway.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies. Yes, all tanks were empty including hot water. In fact, I had winterized before leaving camp as we were driving into freezing temperatures. I was celebrating the fact that I was traveling so light. I think what tipped things was having very little in the cargo bay and adding the propane use really compromised tongue weight.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My 2108 towed much better after I took all the heavier stuff(like generator) out of the truck bed and moved them into the pass thru. We now travel with 1/2 full fresh water. We’ve traveled hundreds of miles with only a 1/2 full propane, the other empty. Still towed great. No battery on tongue. Key is to keep tongue weight to at least 575lbs. Extra benefit is reducing bed weight keeps us under rear GAWR. Now, the heaviest thing in the bed is our spare (3rd) propane tank, and bikes mounted over tonneau.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Too MUCH tongue weight

We have a Minnie 1801FB, and seem to have the opposite problem.
For a trailer with a dry weight of 3300, and an estimated "wet" weight averaging about 4100lbs, we have an actual measured tongue weight of well over 600lbs. We're at or exceeding 15% tongue weight. We've made a conscious effort to move heavy things to the back of the trailer, and still we're tongue-heavy. Are we the only ones with this problem in a Minnie? Is this unique to this model, in the series?
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight