Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2022, 07:02 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Just Returned From Utah

I just drove over 600 miles returning from Draper, UT to Prescott Valley, AZ after picking up our 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F motorhome. Pulled a 2004 Jeep Liberty behind. I have a Blue Ox towbar and a NSA Ready Brake and NSA brake away cable. The one thing I learned is to make sure that everything lines up level. I now need a 6 inch dropdown receiver because the receiver on the coach is too high off the ground compared to the front of the Jeep. If it is not level, it will not work properly.

Otherwise, easy-on, easy-off. No kneeling on the ground.
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreplug View Post
I just drove over 600 miles returning from Draper, UT to Prescott Valley, AZ after picking up our 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F motorhome. Pulled a 2004 Jeep Liberty behind. I have a Blue Ox towbar and a NSA Ready Brake and NSA brake away cable. The one thing I learned is to make sure that everything lines up level. I now need a 6 inch dropdown receiver because the receiver on the coach is too high off the ground compared to the front of the Jeep. If it is not level, it will not work properly.

Otherwise, easy-on, easy-off. No kneeling on the ground.
Most systems are spec'd for +/- 3" vertically from level.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #23
Site Team

I use a 8" drop (rated for 10,000lbs) to level my Adventurer's hitch to the MKX we tow. It's been 5+ years and 48,000 mi and I check it over frequently. No issues to report.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
The chassis is tow rated for 5K lbs. Towing a vehicle adds virtually no weight to the chassis unless it requires a weight distribution hitch. Essentially no tounge weight or cargo weight added to the chassis.

Jeep scale weight is 4,390 with a full tank of gas.

The horizontal hitch limit is + or - 3 inches. With the appropriate equipment we will be inside of that.

At least that's my understanding. It's not too late to change strategy if I'm wrong!

The Jeep Wrangler is the single most common toad on the road. I put a lot of thought and research into this purchase. I really hope I didn't make a mistake.

Safety first always! But the Jeep is a bucket list item if it does work....

Thanks again everyone.
GCWR = gross COMBINED weight rating. You are correct about tongue weight and chassis weight, however, the fully-loaded MH plus the weight of the towed vehicle must not exceed said combined weight rating.
This is due to MH limitations of drivetrain and braking ability. My cousin towed a Chevy Tahoe behind their workhorse chassis MH, and yee it exceeded the GCWR of the MH. During the 8 years they owned that MH, the engine had to be replaced 2x, and the transmission 3x.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:34 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

On my 2015 Vista, the doghouse is covered in carpet. There are two screws on the sides of the doghouse towards the front of it. There is a tool in the manual bag that goes into a hole in the side of the doghouse towards the back of it, in the center, that rotates a latch. That's what holds it on on my Vista. You don't have to remove the catch all tray with cupholders if your doghouse has it. The screws and the hole are not visible the carpet pile hides them. You should be able to feel them with your fingers.

Once you find them the first time it will be easy from then on.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:25 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

I will not pile on regarding the use of supplemental breaking when towing a vehicle. I do however have the narrative from a presentation that was offered at the 2007 Irv2 Rally in Branson MO. If anyone wants to see it let me know and I will message them with it. I can also post here if requested by someone.

Tags
toad, towing, tow