Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire Exploded - While Parked in Driveway…

WOW - I have a 2016 Winnie 36Y with Michelin 235/80R 22.5G tires… The unit is up on stands and has been parked in my driveway for the last three months. The other day I heard a loud bang and did not discover what happened unit I noticed that my front right one tire cover had a section blown out. I checked and sure enough there was a one inch little bulge in the sidewall where the sidewall let go. The tires were not over inflated - had about 88 PSI in them.

So now I am concerned about what tires I should replace it/them with and if I should replace all my tires… Little scary thinking what might of happened if I’d be driving it… I live in Orillia Ontario if anybody has any suggestions I’m all ears.

Thanks all for your time… Jim and Suzie…
jamesdbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Would a stray gunshot be a possibility?
Old 06-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply… Unlikely… Live in town… looks like a ragged split… about an inch long with a little bulge around it… very strange…
Old 06-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Are you say that you have that large RV off the ground on stands for 3 months? Can you elaborate as to what was going on as that may be a clue.

What is the date code on the tire? and is it same date code or code as the other tires? Are you the original owner? How many miles on the tires?

If I go strictly by what you put in 1st post, I would want to think a failed tire repair that should not have been performed on the side wall, but you say a loud bang!!! ? So that means some sudden external force

I would have the tire inspected by a Michelin or a Goodyear facility. Same goes for all of the others, but as tires are likely 6 years old, I would be planning to replace them all assuming everything else is okay with the RV? I wouldn't buy all of the new tires to sit on stand for months in my driveway though?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hello dkoldman, Thanks for the reply...

We live in Orillia Canada - and spend our winters in Texas... The RV mostly sits in the driveway in the summer here - we live on the water so we often have guest stay in the RV during the summer. So it's all setup leveled with the stabilizers set.

The RV has 22,600 miles and we purchased used with 4500 miles... The tires are all dated April 2015. There was definitely a loud bang - sounded like a shot gun going off. Blew a hole in my tire cover (Light Beige) . Happened in the evening and it was not really a hot day.

Just spoke to Michelin - they gave me a case number - apparently there is a 7 year warranty... Tires will be inspected by local tire company. Be interesting to see what they find.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Old 06-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good deal for Michelin and the 7 year warranty. It will be interesting to learn what they say happened. My best guess is that it had to be a sudden material failure related to age.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote