Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The Toad's brake & turn signals

Hi all,
It's nearing spring and I have an unsolved problem from last year that I need to tend to. During our last trip I lost the left brake & turn signal light on the toad. When I checked the coach's harness connector I do not get the 12v signal from the yellow pin which is the left turn and left brake light. I'm told that there are separate left and right signal fuses for that harness. I assume the left side has the blown fuse. The problem is, where are those fuses located? I have checked all 12v circuit breakers and none are brake or turn signal identified, so there must be a another panel somewhere that is out of sight that probably has replaceable fuses in it. Does anyone know where that panel may be located? My unit is 2006 Journey on a Freightliner chassis.

Thanks, Dan
Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Just Trying to Help

Dan-

I don't have a Freightliner-based coach, but these two posts are from people who do.

Mark

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
Hi all,
It's nearing spring and I have an unsolved problem from last year that I need to tend to. During our last trip I lost the left brake & turn signal light on the toad. When I checked the coach's harness connector I do not get the 12v signal from the yellow pin which is the left turn and left brake light. I'm told that there are separate left and right signal fuses for that harness. I assume the left side has the blown fuse. The problem is, where are those fuses located? I have checked all 12v circuit breakers and none are brake or turn signal identified, so there must be a another panel somewhere that is out of sight that probably has replaceable fuses in it. Does anyone know where that panel may be located? My unit is 2006 Journey on a Freightliner chassis.

Thanks, Dan
Dan,
Yes, the Freightliner chassis, Winnebago and Itasca coaches, DO have a trailer connector fuse panel, that's totally separate from all other fuses and relays on the coach. Typically, in a coach like yours, that fuse block is located inside a panel, that's inside the shore power compartment. I'm not going to guarantee this but, that's where many of them are. On our coach, they're even farther back, tucked up inside the louvered left rear panel (the one for the dash A/C.

But, on yours, if you open the shore power compartment, and look up and to the right, just inside the door, you may see a sheet metal type of removable panel, I think with a 1 and a 2 on it, not sure. But, if that panel is removed, you might reveal the fuse box for the trailer connector. See if any of this is true and, report back will you?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you both. For as many times I've been in that electrical compartment I can't recall seeing anything other than the power cord, transfer switch and inverter/charger. However, I was never looking for anything else so I may have turned a blind eye to that other panel tucked up in there somewhere. The coach is still in storage until mid March so I can't report back until then. The wiring and wiring installation diagrams available on Winnebago's website did not provide any location information regarding that fuse. I poured over pages and pages with a fine tooth comb and the only mention of anything related was on a external rear view diagram of the coach with an arrow pointing to the tow electrical receptacle. That was it.

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 02-25-2016, 05:42 AM   #5
Just Trying to Help

Dan-

Like Scott ("FIRE UP"), I like to respond to this kind of 12V chassis wiring question. And, although I like the idea that Winnebago has wiring diagrams available via public Web pages, I too have been frustrated that the very ones you need (such as locations for intermediate fuse panels) do not seem to be in the drawing packages they publish. If someone reading these posts ever finds out otherwise, please let us know.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi Dan, assuming your Freightliner chassis is like mine, I found the fuses located in the compartment just behind the rear wheels passenger side. I found mine by turning on the turn signal, and walking around until I heard the click click of a relay. Here are a pic or two on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8042.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	119837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8043 1024 x 768.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	119838  

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I to have the same problem I have tried in all locations above and cannot seem to locate the fuse panel I can hear the flasher but cannot locate it. it sounds like inside of the shore power compartment but do not see any trapdoor.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Ours is in the passenger side luggage compartment back of the rear tires. It is a small box mounted at the top rear of the compartment; got in compartment to reach it.

Good luck.
Bently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have called Winnebago 2 times now and they tell me it is in my power cabinet and it is visible without removing any panels . Here are 2 pics I took maybe I am blind ??
the last photo is what Winnebago sent me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shore power 1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	119856   Click image for larger version

Name:	shore power.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	119857  

Name:	shore power sym.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	119858  
Old 02-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Scooterbob, this is just a shot in the dark, BUT I see that your circuit breaker panel is held to another panel by 4 screws. Also, there is verbiage on that panel indicating that relays are nearby. Have you tried removing that breaker panel and seeing what's behind it? The turn signal relays may be in there along with their respective replaceable fuses. Just a thought.

Dan
Old 02-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Just Trying to Help

Dan and Bob-

Two more posts that may apply.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/sepa...st-179120.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/repo...ney-73279.html
Old 02-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the heads up Mark. That power panel in the pix of the 04 Journey looks very similar to mine. Theirs is a 39' and mine is a 36' but I doubt if that is an issue. I just tried to browse the web for a pix of my electrical compartment, but no soap. I'll wait until it comes out of storage. At least I now have a clue of where that panel might be.

Thanks again, Dan
Old 02-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Yes Dan I did remove the screws and look in there but did not see any fuses for the trailer harness
Old 02-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Bob,

We previously had a 2008 39z. If yours is similar, the fuse panel you are trying to find is behind the reset panel held with 4 screws. It is further concealed inside a black plastic cover, probably about 4 x 6 in size.

Steve
Old 02-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve COH View Post
Bob,

We previously had a 2008 39z. If yours is similar, the fuse panel you are trying to find is behind the reset panel held with 4 screws. It is further concealed inside a black plastic cover, probably about 4 x 6 in size.

Steve
You mean the panel with the breakčrs ??
I LOOKED in there but didn't find it,will look b again
Old 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Yes, behind the panel with the breakers. Also, closer to the bottom on the back wall inside that area. I found it easier to remove the whole surround than to go through the breaker panel. An additional caution - disconnect power - I found that out the hard way.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

While I still don't have the answer to my plight, I was able to capture a Youtube screen that shows my exact same unit's electrical bay. Note the black box (red arrow) below the inverter/charger. Viola!!! I'd bet an evening's worth of campfire wood that my tow turn signal relays are among the electrical what have you that is inside that box. To the right of the inverter against the back wall is my transfer switch, so it's highly likely that the black box hides the relays. I'll find out around the middle of next month.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electric.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	119915  
Old 02-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I found it finally in the back bay driver side. Took the cover off and was at the bottom. Sure enough my fuse was blown ..the right side where I was having the problem.
Thanks everyone for your input
Old 03-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

OK, I found it. The rear facing wall of the electrical compartment has a removable panel. Behind the panel are 2 small electrical boxes, one atop the other. The upper one is the one with the fuses for the turn signals. The 5th fuse from the left is the right turn signal, the 8th fuse (last from the left) is the right turn signal.

Dan
Old 03-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #20
Just Trying to Help

Pelledan-

Tags
brake, toad, toads