Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Telescoping or Fixed?

I have a 2005 31' Win. I just bought a 2014 Chevy Spark (manual trans) and have been doing some research on tow bars. This car weighs in at right around 2500 pounds soaking wet. I understand the function of the telescoping but is anyone running a fixed tow bar and are you happy with it?

Thanks
frogwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The A frame tow bar has kind of gone the way of the dinosaur. Car control is worse, and who wants that thing sticking up over your hood since it is awkward to remove from the car. The standard tow bar remains on the motorhome and leaves the front end of your car looking relatively normal.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Ya.... And after some research I picked up one of the NSA's Ready Brute Elite with built in braking. Seems to be the cleanest solution. Got a great deal on eBay.

Thanks
frogwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogwash View Post
Ya.... And after some research I picked up one of the NSA's Ready Brute Elite with built in braking. Seems to be the cleanest solution. Got a great deal on eBay.

Thanks
I agree, the Ready Brute Elite is a relatively inexpensive, elegant and functional solution. No electronics, motors or pneumatics to fail.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogwash View Post
I have a 2005 31' Win. I just bought a 2014 Chevy Spark (manual trans) and have been doing some research on tow bars. This car weighs in at right around 2500 pounds soaking wet. I understand the function of the telescoping but is anyone running a fixed tow bar and are you happy with it?

Thanks
If you don't have telescoping tow bar ends you have to perfectly position the tow car in relation to the RV to connect. If you have telescoping you can be a few inches off side to side and front to back on both sides and still hook up.

That's why there are almost no fixed tow bars made for sale, they are very difficult to use.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use a fixed, only because I was getting my toad ready for towing and didn't have a budget for the telescoping tow bars. I keep the hitch in the rear bay when not towing and find it quite easy to hook up. I merely put the links into my Blue Ox base plate and attach the tow bar to the links. I leave the tow bar pointing at the sky and drive slowly up to the back of the RV and guess when I'm at the right distance. I try to be a bit too close at first, then put the tow bar down and slowly back up until the hitch drops on to the ball. I usually do all of this by myself since the wife is usually inside getting ready for travel. It does take getting in and out of the car a few times, but I can usually get the toad completely hooked up in under 10 minutes.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Good choice with the Ready Brute Elite. A little over kill for your towed but I like that. Had mine for three seasons now, EZ to use and just works. I'm running wireless magnetic light to, just makes thing EZ. I'm towing a 4-runner.

LEN
Old 01-26-2019, 02:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

"Good choice with the Ready Brute Elite", I agree, mine works great.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tow setup with ReadyBrute ReadyBrake and Roadmaster bracket

I recently went to the ReadyBrute with the ReadyBrake set up for the new Wrangler JL I bought 3 months ago. I previously had a Suzuki Samurai with a Blue OX tow bar welded on to the front of it. Having the ReadyBrute that stays on the RV leaves the Jeep with a very clean look. I used Roadmaster mounting bracket with the twist locking extensions, which when not being towed leaves a very clean appearance. Also the ReadyBrake and BrakeAway are easy to hook up but not seen when not in use. No additional brake system to deal with or that can drain the battery. Great set up.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0VqF...vYaqB36IMU_rrg

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0__w...pjQ0uOTcXSC27w

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bVn...fcAOp6z6nOLCPw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rOQ...KsrHVAPKyreSQQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0YXr...a8shEas_bB_odA
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote