Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Supplemental braking

I bought a Chevy tracker for a toad. It only weighs 2900 lb but need a braking system with breakaway capability an a smaller price tag. Looking at rb4000 by nsa rv products. Price 550 but I don’t have any experience with these systems. I think I need additional breakaway parts. I called the company but they seemed a bit vague on explanation
Anybody have experience with nsa products.?
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Breakaway is required by so many states that we decided to go with it to cover all states--=- as well as we didn't want to get sued if things DID go all to pieces!
So a look at what parts are needed to do what may help in the shopping as it doesn't seem so hard if you look at each piece by itself. We used RVI 3 systems and found no problems with it and would recommend.

For the breakaway, most systems use the same idea. The unit which sets in the car has a connection that you plug in when you set the unit in. That unit uses some form to connect to the brakes of the car. The RVI uses an "arm" with a "claw" to slip on the brake pedal. When the unit senses the car slowing as the RV slows, the claw presses the pedal to add some of the car braking. Pretty simple.

There is also a cord to connect for breakaway and it has a small box at the front of the car. In that box, there is a pin which you use a small coiled cable to run to the back of the RV, so that if the car leaves the trailer hitch and begins to run away, the pin is pulled out of the box, closing a switch which then sets the brake unit inside to full on to stop the car as soon as possible. Kind of like an on/off switch which does nothing until all goes really bad and then it does set the brakes!

Sounds hard but it is just a switch turning on brakes when the pin gets pulled out!

Some examples but one needs to have matching plugs to fit whatever box you have as it has to plug in there:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...MaAiQnEALw_wcB
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://rvibrake.com/products/breaka...EaAhMsEALw_wcB
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote