Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
The M&G is a system that I would not attempt to install myself - so we would have to drive the coach and toad separately to that place Tom recommended. (Mind you, I'm not against writing a check for that kind of job!)
--John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't hesitate to tow with no brake on Toad for short distance. I went to Florida and back twice from New Orleans before getting enough courage to install the brake.
It was only the trip to Wyoming that gendered a greater fear of sliding off the mountain due to no toad brake. At a low shop rate of $55, you won't be paying much to let the M&G dealer figure things out. I know you are going to enjoy it.
Walt
Old 08-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

One thing that detracts from an otherwise outstanding product, the M&G brake works all the time I have come to find out. Is there anything wrong with that? ... perhaps not but let me offer this.

You don't need an auxiliary brake, "most of the time." If you slow down as you're approaching a situation using drag, tire friction or some type of compression there shouldn't be enough of a push to make any bit of difference as you're slowing down from under 20 MPH to a stop.

When do you need an auxiliary brake? You need it when you need to stop pretty darned quick! Now an M&G does an excellent job doing this, it's simple and effective and it works. Trouble is that it works all the time.

If you have 20,000 miles on the brakes of the motorhome, you'll have exactly 20,000 miles on the brakes of the toad.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:21 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

It has been said before but your all getting so technical I'll remind you again. SUPPLIMENTAL
The brakes on the coach stop the toad 85+% of the time. In a hard or panic situation the supplimental brakes kick in.

Before you pass it off a junk look again at systems like Brake Buddy. It takes seconds to install / remove / hookup and it soes the job just fine.

You all go through your little rituals getting ready to leave and when you arrive. This when added it not even noticible. When you move on to a diiferent toad the system moves on also.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #24
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hotrod 32:
Before you pass it off a junk look again at systems like Brake Buddy. It takes seconds to install / remove / hookup and it soes the job just fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When Dan Decker owned BRAKEBuddy we actually had a "real person" that we could talk to. With the initial release of the BB I had an issue where the BB fried the front axle components of our 2001 Cavalier. Dan made it right, paid for the damages, and gave me the latest and greatest new poly carbonate BB. Since then he gave me the new cam lock brake pedal holder and the newest Remote Alert. It was great doing business with Dan. I have been running a BB for the last "4 years".

BB has been bought out as you all know and from what I have been told it's not the same as working with Dan.

I have been on the road full time with our BB since we left Connecticut and 2 issues presented themselves that allowed us to consider maturing to a different system.

With the amount of times that we pull in, disconnect and re-connect and get back on the road, the BB was becoming a challenge regarding storage and setup under adverse weather conditions be it hot, raining, or whatever, the door needs to be open to setup the BB on the floor. It does take at best 3 to 4 minutes before the compressor inflates to its pre-determined pressure, is tested, the brake pumped down, break away connected and remote alert hooked up.

The second issue which is more severe pertains directly to the operation of the BB itself. On several occasions the BB was applying the brake when it was contrary to the needs of the driver.

When a BB applies the brake it won't release the brake unless 2 conditions are met, reduced inertia and bringing the MH to a complete stop. The bad part about this is that the toad brakes won't release - flat spotting the tires as the toad is dragged behind the motorhome.

This process is triggered by the BB on steep hills or driveways when the MH's brake pedal is tapped to slow down. As the motorhome descends the the gradient the inertia circuit has no choice but to call for activation and the BB locks up and it won't release until the MH comes to a complete stop. The BB doesn't know that it's not needed since it operates as a separate system and makes its own decisions, not the wishes of the driver sitting in the coach. When I take my foot off of the brake on the MH the BB doesn't recognize this and it continues to operate on its own.

This is not hype or an exaggeration it has happened repeatedly to us and it can be repeated via scientific method.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:37 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I'll admit I haven't logged thousands of miles with the Brake Buddy. It was quick and easy to install and I change vehicles at a whim when a deal arises. While not for everybody it just seamed a alternative not mentioned but I thought worth considering being that so many different folks with different situations looking for advise.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote