Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Rear View Camera or Toad TPMS or Both

I recently purchased a 2020 View 24D. I would really like to have some way to monitor my Toad as I'm going down the road, but as most of you probably know, the only way to activate the built-in rearview camera on the 2020 View is to have the transmission in reverse. I was thinking about adding a wireless rearview camera but that would require getting power the the camera and having another monitor (dedicated or phone) mounted up front. My main concern for watching the Toad is to see if it is behaving properly. Seems to me about the only thing to make the Toad misbehave would be a flat tire, so why not just add TPMS sensors to the Toad. I already have a Eez Tire 10 sensor TPMS system and only 6 of the sensors are being used on the View.

My questions:

1. The Toad has OEM TPMS sensors. Can I add aftermarket TPMS sensors to tires that have OEM sensors?
2. Should I also have a rearview camera in addition to the TPMS?
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMed View Post
I recently purchased a 2020 View 24D. I would really like to have some way to monitor my Toad as I'm going down the road, but as most of you probably know, the only way to activate the built-in rearview camera on the 2020 View is to have the transmission in reverse. I was thinking about adding a wireless rearview camera but that would require getting power the the camera and having another monitor (dedicated or phone) mounted up front. My main concern for watching the Toad is to see if it is behaving properly. Seems to me about the only thing to make the Toad misbehave would be a flat tire, so why not just add TPMS sensors to the Toad. I already have a Eez Tire 10 sensor TPMS system and only 6 of the sensors are being used on the View.

My questions:

1. The Toad has OEM TPMS sensors. Can I add aftermarket TPMS sensors to tires that have OEM sensors?
1. Definitely add EEZ sensors to your toad and be assured that they won't interfere with the toad's OEM sensors.

2. Although not absolutely necessary, a back-up camera is desirable for many reasons in addition to checking on your toad.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On my 2016 Navion the rear view camera works all the time - is there a setting to make yours do the same? I tow a Jeep and can always see it while I'm driving - in the daytime anyway. Never felt a need for TPMS - just a do a walkaround after every stop and keep an eye out for smoke - so far so good
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayelldouble View Post
On my 2016 Navion the rear view camera works all the time - is there a setting to make yours do the same? I tow a Jeep and can always see it while I'm driving - in the daytime anyway. Never felt a need for TPMS - just a do a walkaround after every stop and keep an eye out for smoke - so far so good
I trashed a tire on my toad, by the time there was smoke, it was too late. "So far so good" until it's not. I can see choosing to not getting a TPMS, but if you already have one, you might as well get sensors for your toad.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayelldouble View Post
Unfortunately, Winnebago (or MB) changed the rearview camera so it is only displayed when in reverse. I confirmed this with Winnebago. Also on the 2020 View MB insisted that Winnebago not interact with the chassis battery. That means that the chassis battery will not be charged by the house charger and the engine can not be started by the house batteries. On my first (and only) outing I noticed at one point that the chassis battery had dropped to 12.2 volts. So now I also need to find a way to charge the chassis battery.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Site Team

We had a toad tire go down on a pothole. I wouldn't have even known there was an issue if the TPMs hadn't warned me. Even after the tire was down I couldn't tell in the rear camera that there was an issue so I'd either do both or the TPMS and not rely solely on a camera.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
On my first (and only) outing I noticed at one point that the chassis battery had dropped to 12.2 volts. So now I also need to find a way to charge the chassis battery.

Look at an Amp-L-Start or a Trik-L-Start to keep teh chassis battery topped off from the house batteries. It's smart enough to know when it's getting alternator power and stops pushing the charge from the house to the chassis.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Look at an Amp-L-Start or a Trik-L-Start to keep teh chassis battery topped off from the house batteries. It's smart enough to know when it's getting alternator power and stops pushing the charge from the house to the chassis.
Thanks for the info on the chassis battery charging options. I wonder if MB would have a problem with someone adding a chassis battery charger. Any idea?
Old 08-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Install an Amp-L-Start between your house and chassis batteries. Mine works like a charm and it's an easy install:

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page

Combining your batteries for starting is a bit more complex, especially if the house and chassis batteries aren't close together since a heavy gauge cable will be required. With the necessary cabling, you can install an auxiliary or battery boost solenoid between the two batteries or even a simple battery switch like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Batter...6646041&sr=8-3

Since your MH is a 2020, you'll need to take into account the possibility of such an installation violating your warranty.

Personally, I'd start with the Amp-L-Start and see if your low chassis battery issue goes away. I've never needed to use mine since the Amp-L-Start.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the chassis battery charging options. I wonder if MB would have a problem with someone adding a chassis battery charger. Any idea?
Only MB would know. And even then, a verbal assurance is worthless if they wanted to press a warranty issue. On the other hand, the Amp-L-Start/Trik-L-Start is a minimal impact install and is easily removed.

After thinking about the emergency start issue, I think you safest, warranty-wise, and easiest option is an emergency start battery:

https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-J309-...%2C209&sr=8-41
Old 08-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Personally, I'd start with the Amp-L-Start and see if your low chassis battery issue goes away. I've never needed to use mine since the Amp-L-Start.

I will second this. I have not touched the starting booster since we installed it. I KNOW that my house battery is at the end of life as it won't hold a charge for a week by itself, but since installing the amp-l-start (I went battery to battery not to the solenoid switches) it's been flawless.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

My questions:

Our toad 2012 terrain has internal sensors ,i run the tst 507 sensor when towing also could you not run a hot wire with switch and tie in to back up camera wire ?
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Definitely get the sensors for Towed. We have built in's and the external have never been a problem with several towed from GMC and Ford.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It's an easy fix

It's a minor fix for a skilled mechanic to bypass your backup lights and leave the camera on all the time. If you do decide to get a standalone rear view cam, make sure you get a digital one. The analog ones are terrible, constantly cutting out due to interference and such. I have one that peers out the back of my 5th wheel window, which allows me to back up more accurately and monitor traffic behind me on the highway.

Quote:

My questions:

golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

My questions:

1. The Toad has OEM TPMS sensors. Can I add aftermarket TPMS sensors to tires that have OEM sensors? If you haven't already, just take a sensor off the coach and install it on the toad, and see whether things work as they should.

A good system is pretty cheap, and if you don't have side-view cameras that interact with your turn signals, here is something you can consider. We never go on the road without having the rear-facing camera ON.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J46P645...3920250_dpLink
Old 08-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

A temporary fix is to plug a Charger like Harbor Freight 4-amp Charger into the lower level cigarette lighter. Additionally plug Charger in to a Wemo device and set up a schedule ex. 2.5 hours a day.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

That’s crazy! Why would they take that feature away? Glad we bought a used 2019 View. I watch the toad all the time while the husband drives.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We put a wireless rear view camera on our Minnie Winnie. I used the parking/running lights to get power to it. So now we just drive with headlights on during the day. EEZ TPMS with 10 sensors here too. The tow vehicle is on a tow dolly, so the sensors are on the dolly and the tow vehicle's rear tires.
cshodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We bought a mirror camera that mounts on rear view mirror since it’s kinda useless. Then running the cables was a difficult, but when we had some chassis work done I asked if they would run the cable while it was up on the lift and they did. Camera mounted over license plate on. Records from and rear and is on all the time. The cameras very inexpensive the wiring not so much.
Frazier5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #20
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Can I add aftermarket TPMS sensors to tires that have OEM sensors? Yes.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, toad