Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Ducati

rear of coach drags in Driveway

I have a 40 Journey that I back into my driveway. The driveway is short and steep, going in on an angle reduces the triple receiver hitch from dragging on both sides. But it still drags slightly on the passanger side. I'm looking to add skid wheels to the hitch to prevent this from occuring. Has anyone added these to thier coach and how did you make out doing this?
Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Can you just block the driveway where you know you are going to hit? (meaning drop a block under the tires just before the rear touches so it raises the back until you are clear)
Old 04-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We also have a steep driveway, ours is just long and "s" curved. Our stinger has a 4" drop. Sufficient to drag near the road/d'way transition.

As Thom says, you can position a block to raise your stinger at point of impact. For us a 2x12x10' did the trick for a while. Then it became work.

We seriously considered renting a concrete grinder and grinding a trough in the center of our d'way in that area. But on reflection, that sounded like work.

Borrowed a Blue Ox thinking I could bypass that dropped stinger. But what we gained in vertically, we lost horizontally. So, a wash. (but we saved $$$$ over buying a new tow system)

We evolved. We hook and unhook our dinghy on the road at the foot of the d'way. Our present practice is to rotate the stinger 180 up when unhooking (now it is a 4" riser), back up the d'way, then rotating 180 down when hooking up. Easy peasy. Adds maybe 10 seconds to the hook up process.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:08 AM   #4
Ducati

have not tried the wood method as of yet. Both my dingy and motorcycle will be loaded in the road. cant do it in the driveway if I wanted too. I have virtually no rm to do that. Its the passenger side of the hitch the drags. It is not the originaly hitch, I had a triple receiver installed for the crusier lift that carries my Indian on the back, so its the bottom part of the mount that drags.
Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Draging chassis

I drive a winnebago Adventurer 35' and had the same problem with my driveway. I had a set of casters welded on to the frame and it solved it. Now the caster prevent the chassis from dragging. About fours years and still rolling.
pthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I am not familiar with your type of coach, but the long coach busses have a system to add more air to the rear suspension to raise the back end so it doesn’t drag on steep departure angles. Might be something you could retrofit.
firemangk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We had a steep entry to our driveway when we bought our Journey 42E. The dealer added wheels at the rear end. Saved the day, MANY times. Course we can't have a nice mudflap cuz they don't play well together.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote