Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

noise when turning - towing Winnie Drop 1780

Hey everybody. Hope you are all having a great summer. Thanks again for the responses on the water heater problem. I am experiencing a "scraping" or "grinding" noise from the hitch area during slow turns. I am towing a Winnie Drop 1780 with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee using an equalizer hitch. I have greased the ball but got no change. I think this has to be friction related. I even hear the same noise with the anti-sway bar removed. It is the same pulling or backing up. Yesterday we took it back to the dealer for the water heater repair and i even heard a couple of loud "pops" during low speed turning like something was binding. I had another symptom that may or may not be related. Just as we arrived at the service center after a 135 mile trip, the trailer brakes felt a little strange. It felt like they grabbed a little bit and the camper seemed to "wallow" or "lurch" a little bit. I haven't changed the electric brake settings since the dealer set the control up for us. Do you think I should back it off a little bit? Thank you so much for all of the help. Michael
2012voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On the equalizer, work grease into the pivot areas above and below the square pieces where the bars go on the hitch part. I work it in there with my finger and move the square receiver pieces back and forth to get good coverage. I do this about every other trip. It helps a lot.

Do not grease the saddles that are mounted to the trailer tongue where the bars slide. However, equalizer sells nylon pads for noise reduction that you can get for those areas. I have not tried those pads but some people say they help a lot too.
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Equal-i-zer hitches are noisy especially in tight turns. All of the friction surfaces are metal on metal. As RodneyDawnT says lubricating the pins and the nylon pads will help some. It will also quiet down some with use. These days I just look at the pops and groans as a sign that the hitch is working and ignore them.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, towing