Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hope someone has an idea before I have to hit the road in the AM.

08 Winnie Sightseer 35J. Just realized that Brakes and Turn signals in the TOAD do not work...running lights do work. I've isolated all the way to the coach plug. There is nothing wrong from the plug that goes into the coach to the lights. I can hook a spare battery up to the umbilical plug and all works well.

I get nothing on the left or right turn at the plug mounted on the coach. I've checked with a meter and a test light.

The lights on the coach work perfect. It just isn't getting to the plug. I've checked every fuse I can find (under the steering column and in the panel outside over the propane tank.

I'll call Winnie in the AM but wanted to resolve this today (Sun) if possible.

Suggestions???? Thanks in advance. Steve
Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hope someone has an idea before I have to hit the road in the AM.

08 Winnie Sightseer 35J. Just realized that Brakes and Turn signals in the TOAD do not work...running lights do work. I've isolated all the way to the coach plug. There is nothing wrong from the plug that goes into the coach to the lights. I can hook a spare battery up to the umbilical plug and all works well.

I get nothing on the left or right turn at the plug mounted on the coach. I've checked with a meter and a test light.

The lights on the coach work perfect. It just isn't getting to the plug. I've checked every fuse I can find (under the steering column and in the panel outside over the propane tank.

I'll call Winnie in the AM but wanted to resolve this today (Sun) if possible.

Suggestions???? Thanks in advance. Steve
Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Steve, In my '07 Journey there is a removable metal panel in the electrical bay where your power cord is stored. Behind it are 2 sets of fuse blocks, which contain the fuses for the TOAD wiring relay hookups. You might find a blown fuse there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Pusherman...that panel is above the propane tank on mine but I don't see anything about tow fuses.

I also found the "Power Distribution Box" which has a bunch of fuses but in the Ford manual, none mention the tow turn signals.

On Edit: there's another 08 Sightseer in the CG so I tried my wiring on his and it worked perfect. So, there's definitely something in the coach
Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

check the wiring harness on your coach and make sure you have a good ground to the coach. I had the same problem and had to run a new ground wire to the frame of the coach. Hope this helps Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My previous motorhome was a '99 Adventurer on a Ford chassis ...

The dash lifted up ... whenever my turn signals did not work on the '99 it was because of a blown fuse in the fuse block under the dash ... the secret was that the switch had to be ON in order to test the fuses ...

I hope this helps ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all. I tried most of these before the sun went down. I'll call Winnie in the AM and see if they have an idea. I'm betting fuse and just haven't found it yet. I will report back for future reference.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Belgique: For what it is worth, did you try all the plug contacts? Possibility it was wired incorrectly at the factory. Should be easy to do with a VOM. Thinking back on your post though, you indicated you had tried coming off another battery and the plug worked ok. Fuse or ground is then the most likely culprit.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE!!!

It was fuse #22. Sounds easy except that I explored every fuse box I could find. Whilst reading the Ford Manual yet again, I found that 2 pages had stuck together and when I got them apart there was a diagram for fuse/replay locations under the steering wheel and Fuse 22 is towing turn signals.

Why didn't I see that fuse panel before? 1. I don't have a door and I'm not svelte. 2. I had seen the circuit breakers and checked all them. But on top of them is another panel, that has yet another cover on it and underneath it were a buch of mini fuses.

So lessons learned: read the manual and make sure you see ALL the pages; know that there is a big fuse panel above the circuit breakers under the dash; the tow plug has its on fuses and operates independent of the coach lights.

Thanks for all the help attempts! Steve