Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No power to marker lights on tow connector

Hi all,

I have no power to the marker/tail light pin on the 7 pin connector at the back of my 05 Suncruiser. All other pins/functions are working and the marker lights are working on the MH. I can see no damage to the connector so am wondering if there are fuses that I need to find to see where my power went? The fuse panel to the lower left of the drivers seat has no labeling so kinda blind there.
Open to other ideas as well....

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Usually the trailer marker lights are on the same pin as the trailer tail lights. The trailer hook up has fuses protecting each pin function. Luckily, Winnebago provides pretty good resources, including wiring diagrams available for download.

Winnebago Industries

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Just Trying to Help

osgoor-

Ford F-53 or Workhorse chassis on your coach?

If it's a Ford, the trailer marker lamp fuse is #12 in the Power Distribution Box (PDB). The PDB is under the hood, against the firewall, about in the middle of the coach, towards the top of the firewall. The door hinges to the left or the right. The door release is on the opposite end of the hinge, either on the top or bottom of the PDB. Fuse #12 is a 20A fuse. For a fuse box layout, look at your Ford chassis owner's manual or the Ford Body Builder Layout Book pages, at this link (for a 2004 chassis).

If you coach is on a Workhorse chassis, I can't help you.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

So the turn signals, brake lights and backup lights work. Do you have electric brakes and do they work?

I had a problem with our '03 Adventurer. Dim lights on the toad and when I hit the brakes it would turn on the backup camera. If the turn signal was also on the backup monitor would flash on and off with the turn signal. Eventually it would blow the turn signal fuse. I replaced the 7 pin connector, no help. So I tested each wire for function and found they had wired the ground wire to backup light pin. So the ground from the toad lights was back feeding through the backup lights on the motorhome, that's what was turning on the backup camera. Just saying, you may want to verify each wire if you haven't already.

Not sure what chassis you have but the chassis manual should have fuse locations as well as the Winnebago docs. Ours is a Workhorse chassis, most fuses under lift up dash pod and they're all labeled.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Hi all,

I have no power to the marker/tail light pin on the 7 pin connector at the back of my 05 Suncruiser. All other pins/functions are working and the marker lights are working on the MH. I can see no damage to the connector so am wondering if there are fuses that I need to find to see where my power went? The fuse panel to the lower left of the drivers seat has no labeling so kinda blind there.
Open to other ideas as well....

Thanks!
When you say "I can see no damage to the connector", do you mean just the front face of it? What I might suggest is, take a look at the back side of that 7 -pin connector just to make sure the tail-marker wire that feeds that specific pin, has not fallen out of the socket for it. It happens once in a while. And, as has been stated, many Winne's and Itasca's had/have a separate set of fuses for the trailer plug. Sometimes it can be a bear to find them. Mine were tucked in behind a louvered panel which, would make it impossible to find them if out on the road and a problem developed that concerned those fuses. Good thing I had plenty of time in my RV garage to search for them.

Anyway, take a look in your wiring diagrams to see if your coach does have a separate set of fuses for your trailer plug. The 7-pin plug is easily disassembled for analysis for this kind of thing. It's fairly close-quarters with all those connections being that close. They can goof up once in a while.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
osgoor-

Ford F-53 or Workhorse chassis on your coach?

If it's a Ford, the trailer marker lamp fuse is #12 in the Power Distribution Box (PDB). The PDB is under the hood, against the firewall, about in the middle of the coach, towards the top of the firewall. The door hinges to the left or the right. The door release is on the opposite end of the hinge, either on the top or bottom of the PDB. Fuse #12 is a 20A fuse. For a fuse box layout, look at your Ford chassis owner's manual or the Ford Body Builder Layout Book pages, at this link (for a 2004 chassis).

If you coach is on a Workhorse chassis, I can't help you.
Thanks for the reply. My coach is on a Workhorse W22 chassis.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
When you say "I can see no damage to the connector", do you mean just the front face of it? What I might suggest is, take a look at the back side of that 7 -pin connector just to make sure the tail-marker wire that feeds that specific pin, has not fallen out of the socket for it. It happens once in a while. And, as has been stated, many Winne's and Itasca's had/have a separate set of fuses for the trailer plug. Sometimes it can be a bear to find them. Mine were tucked in behind a louvered panel which, would make it impossible to find them if out on the road and a problem developed that concerned those fuses. Good thing I had plenty of time in my RV garage to search for them.

Anyway, take a look in your wiring diagrams to see if your coach does have a separate set of fuses for your trailer plug. The 7-pin plug is easily disassembled for analysis for this kind of thing. It's fairly close-quarters with all those connections being that close. They can goof up once in a while.
Scott
I can see the front and back of the 7 pin connector and all looks good. I am planning on taking the plug apart to confirm the wires are still connected from the harness to the pins. I have the diagrams but cannot locate the harness on any of them.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Just Trying to Help

Quote:
I have the diagrams but cannot locate the harness on any of them.
Using this link to get to the diagrams, the one you want is the "Auto Lamps Wiring Diagram," Here's the link to get that diagram. Looking at the left-hand side of the fifth sheet of that PDF file, you see the "MM" marker light circuit. The 6-pin factory-installed trailer connector and the marker lights on the coach are wired together at a splice. If the license plate lamp illuminates and there is no signal at the marker light pin on the hitch connector, then the problem lies in the hitch connector or the wiring from there to the license plate lamp.

Your owner's manual also shows a 6-pin connector on page 5-15. This makes the 7-pin connector, already suspect, more so.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Using this link to get to the diagrams, the one you want is the "Auto Lamps Wiring Diagram," Here's the link to get that diagram. Looking at the left-hand side of the fifth sheet of that PDF file, you see the "MM" marker light circuit. The 6-pin factory-installed trailer connector and the marker lights on the coach are wired together at a splice. If the license plate lamp illuminates and there is no signal at the marker light pin on the hitch connector, then the problem lies in the hitch connector or the wiring from there to the license plate lamp.

Your owner's manual also shows a 6-pin connector on page 5-15. This makes the 7-pin connector, already suspect, more so.
Thanks very much. The diagrams will definitely help.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Wanted to give all an update. The male tail marker pin in the hitch is a split pin and the gap between the two halves had closed up enough to not make good contact. Spread the pin halves a touch and is now working.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Wanted to give all an update. The male tail marker pin in the hitch is a split pin and the gap between the two halves had closed up enough to not make good contact. Spread the pin halves a touch and is now working.

Thanks for all the replies.
We all appreciate you getting back to us on your remedy/answer to your issue. I didn't even think about suggesting that and, it's funny 'cause, I had the same exact issue when wiring a friends Jeep for towing. We plugged my truck into the pig tail for his Jeep and, only one function worked correctly. The others didn't work at all. Man, talk about some head scratchin'. It ended up being that multiple "split pins" had diminished in size and, were not making contact with the sockets in the pig tail. So, good catch.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, power, tow