Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

No Left Turn signal on toad ..

We went away for a square dance festival over the weekend ... when I hooked the toad up to return home I had no left turn signal on the toad (left turn okay on coach) ... so I tried (unsuccessfully) to repair the umbilical cord on the spot to restore power ... so I drove home very carefully without a left turn signal on the toad ...

When I got home I put a new end on the umbilical cord ... still no left turn ... got out the volt meter and no left turn at the 7 pin connector on the coach ... so that meant the trailer fuse was burned out ...

fortunately I have a copy of my previous post taped to the wall of the bay where the trailer fuses are located ...

PIX of FUSE LOCATION

New fuse, new end on umbilical cord, a few words expressing frustration, an Arnold Palmer, and a dish of ice cream ... all is well again ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Skigramp:
We haven't made contact for some time. Our 04 Journey 39W is exactly like Ernie.
I had a left tail/stop/turn light out a few months ago on our Jeep Wrangler toad. Turned out that the toad's left rear bulb had exploded in its socket--don't know why, but was an easier fix than your fuse.
Thanks for rerunning the pictures of the fuse box and its location--I never would have found it on my own if I needed it.

Ditto the Arnold Palmer and ice cream--take care and be safe.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Our 04 39K has that fuse box in the same location, however a few screws must be removed from the cover to remove it. It was not meant for easy access, so while I had the cover off, I took my grinder and cut out the corner of the cover that covers the box location and slit some narrow diameter rubber hose and slid it over the cut edges. Now I have access to the fuses w/o having to remove that cover which is a PIA.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I also had the same problem. Fortunatly I called Winny and they told me where to find the fuse. I now have a sticker on that wall that say FUSES BEHIND WALL. I was tempted to leave the wall off but didn't. I have talked with other owners that had the same problem and spent alot of money on service people, looking for those fuses.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hmmm. For some, obviously dumb, reason I didn't realize that there were separate fuses for Right/Left Turn. My TOAD right turn doesn't work and I've gone nuts trying to figure it out. I'll try this. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are two posibilities.. one is a bad diode or lamp on the towed's lighting adapter

The other is a bad wire or something on the towing vehicle.

IF The connection is via a 7 pin connector:

7 Way Trailer Connector Vehicle Tester Tow Ready Tools TR20117

If it is a flat-4

4 Way Trailer Light Wiring Circuit Tester LED Lights on eBay!

NOTE: I prefer a pass-through tester (i have one I got somewhere for flat-4) to these

ALso note that these were found with a GOOGLE search for Trailer Light Testers, I make no recommendation to the delaers, these are presented as EXAMPLES.

True short story....

Jan 2 2006 I pulled off my lot, did the walk around and found no tail lights on towed, Plugged in my pass through unit and found no light for tail lights present..... Figured out a work around (Turned on parking lights on towed and let US-Gear Brake system's towed charge line take care of the load on the towed's batteries) and got it fixed (Wire in motor home) 2,000 miles later.

I promised short, 1 paragraph, not bad.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Must be the Winny on a frieghtliner chassis blown Tow Control PDM fuse season. Just answered this on another thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/toad...on-125306.html

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know where this panel is on a 1999 Itasca Sunflyer DP on a FL chassis? I looked in the bays and in particular in the water/dump bay with no luck. WB couldn't be specific to tell me
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Look in the electrical bay. Mine is behind a full wall metal panel painted black just like the rest of the compartment. It is toward the rear of the motorhome, not the rear of the compartment and held by about 8-10 screws. Took me about three hours to find it and there are a BUNCH of fuses, etc behind it including turn signals. Good luck and happy hunting.

05 Itasca Meridian 36 G.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155
Look in the electrical bay. Mine is behind a full wall metal panel painted black just like the rest of the compartment. It is toward the rear of the motorhome, not the rear of the compartment and held by about 8-10 screws. Took me about three hours to find it and there are a BUNCH of fuses, etc behind it including turn signals. Good luck and happy hunting.

05 Itasca Meridian 36 G.
The photos in the above post are right on the money.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad