Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No Juice to Turn/brake Toad Terminal

Recently I towed my older S-10 pickup on a short trip and discovered that it had no right turn or right brake light signal from the motor home. At home, I checked it out and the lights on the truck were ok but the motor home plug had no electricity to the terminal that powers those lights. Thinking it was likely a bad connection in the plug, I dismantled the plug and then checked for power in the wire to the terminal. There is no juice in the wire. The left turn/brake and all running lights work fine.

I have the schematics for the 2006 Journey from Winnebago's web site but cannot find anything relating to the trailer/toad plug wiring in either the chassis or body diagrams. Tracing the wiring by following the cables is near impossible for anyone larger than a squirrel (which could be the problem - I've had squirrel damage before!).

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look or what to do?

JT Kirby
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Are you getting 12 volts at the receptacle for charging or is just the signals dead. Usually the signals/brake is picked up near the tailights...should be a connection near the rear of the MH
Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I believe that the location for the fuses has been discussed before. On your coach, I believe that they are located either in the AC electrical compartment or behind a panel in that compartment
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Are you getting 12 volts at the receptacle for charging or is just the signals dead. Usually the signals/brake is picked up near the tailights...should be a connection near the rear of the MH
Only the right signal/right brake light (same wire) in dead. The wires come out of a large cable that seems to up out of sight or reach.

JT
Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I believe that the location for the fuses has been discussed before. On your coach, I believe that they are located either in the AC electrical compartment or behind a panel in that compartment
I'll check the fuses/circuit breaker. I had assumed that since some of the functions were OK, eg., left turn/brake, that the breakers were OK, but that might be wrong.

JT
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Many times the right and left are fused seperately.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You have a freightliner chassis. Call Winnebago and ask them where they have hidden the Tow Control PDM. Freightliner supplies it but Winnebago installs it. The PDM isolates the chassis system from the towing connector so chassis will continue to work if there problem in the toad circuit. There are fuses in it. One of them is blown. Problem is it could be behind a internal wall panel in the rear bays or up front. Turn on good side that works (key ON, engine OFF, good turn signal ON) and walk around the rig until you hear the relay clicking ON & OFF in the PDM. Then figure out how to access the PDM so you can then pull the cover off and replace the blown fuse. There are several threads on IVR2 about this.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/7-pi...ml#post1045628

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
You have a freightliner chassis. Call Winnebago and ask them where they have hidden the Tow Control PDM. Freightliner supplies it but Winnebago installs it. The PDM isolates the chassis system from the towing connector so chassis will continue to work if there problem in the toad circuit. There are fuses in it. One of them is blown. Problem is it could be behind a internal wall panel in the rear bays or up front. Turn on good side that works (key ON, engine OFF, good turn signal ON) and walk around the rig until you hear the relay clicking ON & OFF in the PDM. Then figure out how to access the PDM so you can then pull the cover off and replace the blown fuse. There are several threads on IVR2 about this.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/7-pi...ml#post1045628

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I'll be looking for that fuse. Also, the link to the earlier discussion was very helpful.

JT
Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Many times the right and left are fused seperately.
Thanks. I'll be looking.

JT
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Journey ... I had trouble locating the fuses for the lights for my tow vehicle ...

I finally found them ... I took some pictures and posted this

==> http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/repost-of-trailer-fuse-pix-for-2004-journey-73279.html

Turn on your flasher and listen in your electrical bay to see if you can hear it ... if you can hear it there then your coach is probably the same as mine.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who helped. It does appear to be a blown fuse. My "2" box was located on the curb side under the access door for the hot water heater in my 32' Journey. There is a separate compartment aft of the HW heater with electrical stuff. As suggested, listening for the turn clicks led me to it. The fuse is blown but I don't have a replacement in hand, so the final test is yet to come.

JT
Old 05-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV'nOldTimer View Post
Thanks to all who helped. It does appear to be a blown fuse. My "2" box was located on the curb side under the access door for the hot water heater in my 32' Journey. There is a separate compartment aft of the HW heater with electrical stuff. As suggested, listening for the turn clicks led me to it. The fuse is blown but I don't have a replacement in hand, so the final test is yet to come.

JT

When you need to do a quick test just borrow one from another circuit you can live without. And be sure to buy a box of spares. Fuses die.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Just got through fighting that same problem last trip last fall on my 36' 2004 Meridian. Funny both problems would be the right hand light on the toad. And the right/left lights are fused separately for some reason. But it was a 20 amp fuse located behind a metal panel in the electrical compartment on the rear driver's side.
Good luck on your hunt.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
When you need to do a quick test just borrow one from another circuit you can live without. And be sure to buy a box of spares. Fuses die.

Now that's an elegant solution! What I did was walk down the road to my son's shop and get a fuse from him. So there....

JT
Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Just got through fighting that same problem last trip last fall on my 36' 2004 Meridian. Funny both problems would be the right hand light on the toad. And the right/left lights are fused separately for some reason. But it was a 20 amp fuse located behind a metal panel in the electrical compartment on the rear driver's side.
Good luck on your hunt.

Wagonmaster2
Its interesting that most of those responding had the "2" box in the umbilical cord compartment on the street side but mine was on the opposite side. Until you folks pointed it out, it never dawned on me that the two turn signals are fused separately.

Thanks for the help. When I hooked up the toad for an acid test, all systems were "go".

JT
Old 05-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV'nOldTimer View Post
Now that's an elegant solution! What I did was walk down the road to my son's shop and get a fuse from him. So there....

JT
Getting older now I prefer to walk down, open the gate, and kiss all the pretty girls instead of running down, jumping the fence, and out of breath kiss just one pretty gir.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

JT - Glad you got the lights going. When my right signal quit I started with my test light at the toad and went clear to the socket under the rear end of the coach. Was still getting no current by there and was ready to pull my hair out (and with so little left I sure didn't have any to spare). If it hadn't been for the help from the Forum I'm not sure what I'd have done after that, there is so many wires and bundles under the rear end I don't know how a person could ever run down a short or blown fuse.

We've got some really intelligent readers with great suggestions here.

Travel safe.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad