Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Tires

I have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra that needs new tires. I live about 25 miles south of Olympia, Wa. I would really appreciate any recommendations on tire brands and anyone have any experience purchasing in the northwest?
Dwmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not familiar with the Vectra model, so I looked it up and it's a diesel pusher. So, that means 22.5" tires.

Can you tell us the exact size you need or are looking for?

I see a lot of people buying Toyo and Hankook RV tires. Supposedly, Michelin is in short supply and some are wary of the sidewall cracking the brand is known for.

I know that FMCA has a number of tire discount programs but I've seen a number of posts on forums from folks that didn't feel that they got such a good deal.

I saw one comparison where the tires were a bit cheaper per tire, but the install and disposal charges where higher and over all saved the RV owners less than $30 over the entire purchase.

I've got a year or two left on my tires, so I watch these threads, but I don't have any personal experience.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

OEM tires for the 2005 40' Vectra should have been Michelin XZE 275/80R 22.5 LRG.

The OEM tires on my 2005 36' Vectra were Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5, LRG. Those tires were in fact the GAWR limiting factor for my coach. When I went to Goodyear G670 275/70 22.5 LRH tires I gave myself a good bit more margin (even though the legal ratings don't actually change) as well as a better ride since I could run at a lower tire pressure. The diameter is almost the same, although I did have the ECM tweaked to slightly to make it exact.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:18 AM   #4

I bought my Michelin's at Superior Tire in Portland, OR by the I-5 and Columbia River. This is a Michelin Dealer and they are very large and treated me great. Plus you don't pay Tax in Oregon!

Note: You should shop for a quote and verify they have stock before you show up.

I also only recommend you buy the Michelin "Steer Tire" for all 6 tires and they out performed the Michelin RV Tires by a mile. Make that 100 miles!

These steer tires were called the X-Line Energy Steer Tire (275x80x22.5) when I bought them 6 years ago (40,000 miles ago), but maybe there is a new "Steer Tire" brand now? IDK. What I do know is that 40,000 miles is like spending 800 hours in the seat. So besides getting new Michelins, I also recommend you get a 2" seat cushion with that contour and cut away for your tail bone slot. Note: I'm 6'-0" tall and 250 lbs and I like sitting up higher too!

Just don't buy the Michelin "RV Tires" because IMO they are junk on a 32,000 lb RV; and when I put them on my coach, which is just like yours, these RV-tires made a road-humming-noise at speeds of 45MPH +. So, I then filed a Michelin complaint, which is standard procedure with Michelin if you have a problem, and then Michelin worked with Superior Tire to fix this problem; and the way they did it was to upgrade my RV Tires to a "Steer Tire" at no additional cost.

I was surprised by this, and grateful, but what what really mattered was that the Steer Tire outperformed the RV tire in every way. This includes, noise, road grip, sidewall strength, and ride comfort.

I drove ~800 miles on those RV tires and hated them. ...But after just driving 10 miles on these Steer Tires I feel in love!

Further, don't buy the "H" rated tire, because the "G" rated tire will do you better, for less money, and you want to run more air in your rear tires. I.e., for your axle rating your "G" rated tires will call for 90PSI, but I still run 105PSI-cold. And if you get a "H" rated tire with 2 more plies then the load/air chart calls for 85PSI and that leaves no "cush" since 80PSI is the minimum air pressure you should run.

The Michelins will set you back, because they are expensive, but if you plan to own your RV for 3+ years; and you plan to drive a lot: just do the math; and when you consider the 100's of hours you will be driving; the extra $1,500-$2,000 is well worth it to me. ...And I don't give this recommendation lightly, because I hate spending money on tires and I hate speeding money on batteries! (Which is another subject, but now I'm a Michelin believer and if I had my way I would want every 40' RVer to be riding on Michelin Steer Tires!)

If you don't drive enough to justify the price of the Michelin's, then from what everyone else says, you will like Toyo's, from Les Schwab will probably be your next best bet. But they one sure thing Toyo's have over Michelin's is price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170901_115504.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	180318   Click image for larger version

Name:	X-Line Energy Steer Tire 275x80x22.5.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	180319  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sorry it took me a while. My tires are Michelin 275 80R 22.5 XGreen. With lots of tread but starting to show signs of sidewall cracking.
Dwmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Superior Tire Portland, OR. FMCA program for Hankook tires. Just across the river so no sales tax.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Well DW,
This is one of those things that the type of brand you buy is of course, entirely up to you. Many of us in the motorhome world have had issues, i.e. sidewall cracking, premature wear and other issues with *proprietary* Michelin tires. I say Proprietary because, as in the 255 series, THEY are the only company that makes that size tire! Guess what, if you're the type that can't live unless you have EXACTLY what your coach came equipped with, you're gonna pay a much higher price for new tires, JUST TO GET THE 255 series because, Michelin's the only company that supplies that size.

But, if you are willing to pry yourself away from factory supplies, then there's plenty of very close sized tires that will work outstandingly well. Now, I'm not sure if the 275 series is proprietary for Michelin or not. If it's like the 255 series, there's plenty of tire brands that will be substantially lower in cost but will be a perfectly adequate and well suited for your coach. I switched to Yokohama's when I needed replacements for my prematurely work Michelins. They have been great and well performing, all at $2,500 lower than the proprietary Michelins.

There are plenty of tire size comparison charts out there that can put your present Michelins up against very comparable sized OTHER brand tires and will tell you EXACTLY what the size differences are. The ones I picked for our coach are the 265 size vs the 255 that were on there. The 265's are about 1/4" taller, big deal. On a tire that size, no one on this planet can tell any difference. Your choice Partner.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #8

FireUP: Were your tires the Michelin RV tire or the Michelin "Steer" tire?

I think the RV tires are horrible, but I love the Michelin "Steer" tire.

The alternative and lower price has been the Toyo brand so it's nice to know you like the Yokohama.

However, if your old Michelin's were not the "Steer" tire they put on big rigs then we're still talking "apples vs. oranges!"

Are there any owner out there how switched from a Michelin "Steer" tire and felt they got just as good of a ride, or better, from a cheaper Toyo or Yokohama? ...And please not reply unless quote the model of your tire(s).

Too often people who spend a lot of money on the Michelins say they the best. THEY ARE NOT, IMO, unless you buy the "Steer" tire and your RV can handle the 275/870/22.5.

And too often people boast about the better alternative being a Toyo, but never are they comparing the Toyo to the Michelin "Steer" tire, build for the over the road trucker.

And every I know who has driving their RV on a Michelin "Steer" tire will bite the bullet and buy them again, because when you put thousands and thousands of hours on the road the $2,000 in price is worth buying the Michelin "Steer" tire.

And I'm still not making my point: IMO, the Michelin RV tire is junk on a 32,000lb RV. However, I did put Michelin RV tires on a 20,000lb-19"rim once; and I drove this RV ~15,000 miles before I sold it. And it road okay. Not great, but much better than the Goodyear that were on this coach. So I don't have any idea how long the RV tire lasts, but from I hear, they crack which has to be disturbing.

Personally, I think Michelin is not doing their "brand" any favors by continuing to sell their "RV Tire." But me and OTR trucks swear by the Michelin "Steer" tire called the X-Line Energy.

What Michelin maybe calling their "Steer" tires today I have no idea, but if anyone can say with certainty their Toyo or Yokohama are just as good as the Michelin "Steer" tire, then that's worth verifying, because I hate spending $800/tire!!! ...Maybe more these days???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170901_115644.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	180403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170901_115504.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	180404  

Name:	20170901_115753.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	180405  
Old 08-02-2021, 04:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Toyo m154 . Love mine. Michelin tires are overpriced and overrated in my opinion/experience
Dibbsvtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Again, you Toyo types never compare your tires to the Michelin "Steer" tire... but that's okay. You know your paid less and what I am asking for is a testimonial from a Toyo or Yokohama owner that has ALSO put ton's of miles on a Michelin "Steer" tire and can't tell the difference.

So far everyone just likes to take swipes at the leader with out being specific about the Michelin they are talking about.

So again, I would love to know if I bought a Toyo or other brand that they would perform as good or better than the Michelin X-Line Energy "Steer" tire in the 275/80/22.5 size, on a 32,000lb RV or heavier, because I too like to save money.

So please... People... Stop trying to compare apples to oranges! ...Unless you can honestly address this.
You are presuming a lot with your opening statement. I spent many hours researching tires before I chose Toyo.

For a fact, after a period miles the steer tires become bidirectional and universal position tires.

Michelin provides a "crack" chart to their dealers. If your sidewall checking is within excepted limits you have no worries. Wanna bet! No other tire company that I know has this "tool" for determining tire health.
If you stick with the "RV" size tires you may find yourself stranded for an extended period of time if you are in need of a replacement. Also, you could be forced to drive on unsafe tires if replacements are not available from Michelin when you need them.
And your Michelin tires could be made in China. This happened to a friend of mine. Michelin replace all of his tires pro rated. They should have been free to him.
I've used Toyo for many years and I am very satisfied.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwmooney View Post
I have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra that needs new tires. I live about 25 miles south of Olympia, Wa. I would really appreciate any recommendations on tire brands and anyone have any experience purchasing in the northwest?
I think you have a Les Swab in that area. I have had very good service from them.
Here is the Toyo web site: https://www.toyotires.com/commercial-truck

Look it over. Compare the Michelin specs with the Toyo tires. Find a tire that meets your load requirements, RPM, traction needs... These tires are made in Japan and I think the US.

Also get a TMPS if you don't have on. I'm using EEZ TMPS. https://eezrvproducts.com/

My only complaint with this system is the older monitor, like I have, is hard to read in bright light. Other than that, it is better than others I have tried.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
So please... People... Stop trying to compare apples to oranges! ...Unless you can honestly address this.
Actually, this thread is about Tires on an RV. There are no preconditions for posting your opinions or experiences in this thread.

So, everyone should feel totally free to post about anything they wish in this thread. Regardless of whether you have experience with so-called Steer tires or not.

To me, buying semi-truck tires may be fine for my RV but I, personally, prefer to have RV tires on my motorhome over 18-wheeler tires. But that's just my opinion.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

This site has their opinions I have mine. I read theirs. And Yes, I still my opinion, Which is, Toyo are great tires. Michieln are overpriced and overrated....
Dibbsvtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #14

And in case you missed my other comments about Michelin RV tires; so you know I'm not a "mouthpiece" for Michelin:

* The Michelin RV tire worked fine on my 20,000 lb National Tradewinds, but I think they were a lot over priced for the performance. However, I loved the soft ride and I got use to it right away! But I never owned them long enough experience any cracking. This was also a 19" wheel.

Yet, I think if the Michelin RV Tires did crack and prematurely need to be replaced, that I would not be happy.

* When I bought my 2004 Itasca "Horizon" (32,000lbs) I went to Superior Tire of Portland and they put me in a Michelin RV Tire... and I hated them. They made a high pitch noise at 45+ MPH and I took them back.

Then I filed a Michelin complaint, which is standard procedure, and Michelin upgraded me to the so called "Steer" tire at no extra charge.

Personally, I think Michelin is destroying their brand by selling their RV Tire a such a high price, because IMO, you don't get the performance from this tire as compared to the Michelin Steer Tire.

* Superior Tire's customer service was great! And Michelin's complaint department did not question the exchange one bit. But what really impressed me was the handling, ride, and sidewall corning strength of the "Steer" tire. And now the I have driving over 40,000 miles on these Steer Tires, I am so very glad I discovered them!

My conclusion is this: If you don't drive your RV that much, then saving some money might be a smart way to go. But if you drive as much as I do, then IMO you should bite the bullet and put Michelin's "Steer" tire on all 6 wheels. ...You will be very happy with this decision.

Personally, I doubt I will be needed to buy new tires again; so all my comments are for you RVers out there who are trying to make an informed decision on what tire to buy for your RV.

==> Just don't be fooled in to thinking you should by an RV Tire just because the marketing says the RV tire has more UV blockers in the rubber and that it's made for an RV. This is bull.

Finally, I don't particularly like the term "Steer Tire." But as it turns out, I think it's more of a Trucker's term to describe a high quality tire; and these "better" and more expensive tires were only put on the front tires to save money.

Now, MPG is more important than tire price differences, but frankly, I don' think my MPG was improved by going to Michelin like they claim. It's too hard to tell. But the performance characteristics of the "Steer Tire" are very noticeable.

So you Toyo, Yokohama, etc. owners have no idea what you are missing! Sorry, but that's the way I see it! ...Until, maybe someone out there can give us their testimonial on how to save money and NOT sacrifice performance.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:26 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Many have their favorite tires for lots of valid reasons.

With my full time lifestyle, my OEM XRV Michelins held up great, ride was smooth and quiet, I kept pressure at 100psi which was a little on the hard side according to the load charts for my weight. Didn't really see any significant sidewall cracking, perhaps just a little by the 8th year, when I replaced them because of age, not wear.

So I replaced them with new tires of the exact same type. I did make sure all 6 were spin balanced, appropriate weights added, and that I did notice right away, the ride was smoother.

After three years, still very happy with my choice. I can't speak to others and their choices, only my experience.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:44 AM   #16

Another point about picking is tire is mostly based on your front axel weight, and not so much your rear axle weight even though both need to be considered.
Here's why?

The front axle on my 2004 Itasca "Horizon" weighs in at ~12,000LB which means a "G" rated tire works fine for me up front and will allow me to run the highest possible PSI vs. the other option of going with a "H" rated tire.

And my rear axel weight of 20,000 lbs is easily covered by 4 "G" rated tires too. However, if I ran "H" tires in the rear I would have to run 80PSI and I don't want to do that.

What I am saying is this, IMO, it's desirable to run your tires at the upper end of their PSI ratings. ...Because one day you will find a tire pressure is leaking out and you will want all the latitude you can get, because when you run below 80PSI, which is the minimum PSI for this type of tire, you run a high risk of the tire exploding on the road due to excessive heat! I know, it happened to me!

So DO NOT assume you will better off with the 2 extra plies in the "H" rated tire, when a "G" rated tire will do.

In addition to running a tire at the recommended PSI for your load rating, your tire will perform better and ride smoother!

Side comment: Maybe we can all agree the GOODYEAR G395 RV Tires (295-75R-22.5) are the worse for ride performance?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tyre-pressure-tread-wear-tyre-tracks-comparison.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	180423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin Steer Tire Load chart 22.5 in Wheels.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	180424  

Old 08-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Well, I did as much on-line research as I could (until my head exploded), and I reached two conclusions: I'm a life-long Les Schwab customer (42 sets of tires + other services), and I felt that their higher-end Falken offering was my best bet. I just did this two weeks ago, so no performance data.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxWinny View Post
Well, I did as much on-line research as I could (until my head exploded), and I reached two conclusions: I'm a life-long Les Schwab customer (42 sets of tires + other services), and I felt that their higher-end Falken offering was my best bet. I just did this two weeks ago, so no performance data.
That's the way to go!
Old 08-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #19
Site Team

This New Tires thread has been reopened after moderator review.

Tags
tires