Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Is this possible?

Can I pull a 6x10 single axle motorcycle trailer behind my toad which is behind my 400hp Winnebago Tour? I would only be pulling in Florida to a destination site. My question is basically whether or not I could physically pull it without problems; whether or not legal, I would address separately. Thanks for any replies!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
Can I pull a 6x10 single axle motorcycle trailer behind my toad which is behind my 400hp Winnebago Tour? I would only be pulling in Florida to a destination site. My question is basically whether or not I could physically pull it without problems; whether or not legal, I would address separately. Thanks for any replies!
In Florida it's a moot point
Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Rent a car hauler and put everything in it.
You have a 15K# hitch.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
In Florida it's a moot point
What does that mean???
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
What does that mean???
It means that in Florida it is against the law for you to tow anything else behind a vehicle that is being towed already.

Florida Road Laws

Size Limits: Height, 13'.5"; Width, 8'.6" (on certain federal road systems); Trailer length, 40'; Motorhome length, 45'' Combined length, 65'. Triple towing is not allowed.

Buy a pickup and haul your MC in the bed as you tow it.

As to your original question your 400 HP diesel shouldn't have any problems towing both on the roads in Florida.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Not legal in Florida and the Florida DOT says so. Stopped one the other day and told him to breakup the combination. $1000.00 fine in Florida.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
It means that in Florida it is against the law for you to tow anything else behind a vehicle that is being towed already.

Florida Road Laws

Size Limits: Height, 13'.5"; Width, 8'.6" (on certain federal road systems); Trailer length, 40'; Motorhome length, 45'' Combined length, 65'. Triple towing is not allowed.Jon
Not to be nitpicking but I'm just going to be double towing not triple towing. If your 1st statement is correct, then I would be in violation.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Smokey View Post
Not legal in Florida and the Florida DOT says so. Stopped one the other day and told him to breakup the combination. $1000.00 fine in Florida.
That takes care of that! Thanks Smokey.

PS: I always knew I could break it up, but not sure if I would just get a warning or a fine.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Not to be nitpicking but I'm just going to be double towing not triple towing. If your 1st statement is correct, then I would be in violation.
I'm confused; based on your first post, you said "Can I pull a 6x10 single axle motorcycle trailer behind my toad which is behind my 400hp Winnebago Tour?" That sounds like a MH towing a toad towing a trailer, which would be triple-towing but then later say it's double towing. Could you clarify your perspective? (Not that I would want to try that; I've seen it in Nevada and good luck trying to back up.) -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have seen it done in Georgia and I have done it in Tennessee but I don't know about Alabama. I thought it was legal if it was legal in your "home" state?? We go from Tennessee to Florida but could easily disconnect at the FL state line.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
I have seen it done in Georgia and I have done it in Tennessee but I don't know about Alabama. I thought it was legal if it was legal in your "home" state?? We go from Tennessee to Florida but could easily disconnect at the FL state line.

According to Towing World, most states have reciprocity when it comes to towing laws but a few don't. Florida has reciprocity so if you are from another state and are towing legally in that state, you are okay in Florida.

Generally, though, traffic laws do not have reciprocity. In other words, you have to abide by the traffic laws of that state or local jurisdiction no matter what state your plates or where your drivers license is from.

I don't know how current this is but here is a state-by-state chart of towing laws that shows each state's rules, limits, and whether they have reciprocity:

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

I know that Drivers' license reciprocity is observed in all states. If you are legally licensed to drive your combination of vehicles in your state, then you can legally drive in any state. An example that I have a problem with that I bring up on RV forums frequently is that in Nevada where we are licensed to drive, it is required that RVers have special licenses to drive certain RVs, i.e., you need a Class B non-comercial license to drive a diesel pusher (Class A over 26,000 lbs. GVWR) or if you are towing a heavy 5th-wheel over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, you need a J-endorsement or if you are combination towing, you need an R-endorsement. You need to take special tests (written and skills) to obtain these licenses. However, a visitor from another state that doesn't require any special licenses for driving RVs can come to Nevada and drive the exact same RV on the same roads that a resident of Nevada needs to possess a special license for which they had to take tests to obtain. We believe that driver licensing requirements should be the same from state to state because of this screwy scenario.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I'm confused; based on your first post, you said "Can I pull a 6x10 single axle motorcycle trailer behind my toad which is behind my 400hp Winnebago Tour?" That sounds like a MH towing a toad towing a trailer, which would be triple-towing but then later say it's double towing. Could you clarify your perspective? (Not that I would want to try that; I've seen it in Nevada and good luck trying to back up.) -RT
The word "triple towing" implies one is towing 3 things; whereas, double towing is 2 things. Just a matter of semantics.
As far as backing up, that's a moot point because with a tow bar you can't even back up one towed thing.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the interesting replies! Even though I didn't ask, it looks like legality would do me in because of total length.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

RV towing laws by States

FLORIDA: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 40 ft.; maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum combined length for two vehicles 65 ft. Triple towing is illegal. Riding allowed in truck campers.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
As far as backing up, that's a moot point because with a tow bar you can't even back up one towed thing.
Maybe for someone like me, but go through Nevada and you'll see it done, or at least I have.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Why not just call the D.M.V. or ask a highway patrol officer.
That way you will be getting it from the horses mouth," so to speak."
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

There is no reciprocity on equipment, like there is on drivers licenses and insurance. Being able to tow double in your home state means nothing in other states.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
And I see that the chart is wrong for WA, OR and CA as far as braking systems on towed vehicles is wrong. I suspect there are lots of other things wrong.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There is no reciprocity on equipment, like there is on drivers licenses and insurance. Being able to tow double in your home state means nothing in other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And I see that the chart is wrong for WA, OR and CA as far as braking systems on towed vehicles is wrong. I suspect there are lots of other things wrong.

You're absolutely correct and I don't know why I didn't catch myself on that because it is obvious when you think about it. I have two others telling me what to post, DH and his buddy, both of whom don't type well so they refuse to participate on internet message boards, so at times, I just type what they are telling me. They both are backing down on that information and concede it is wrong.

What makes it obvious that the concept of towing reciprocity invalid is the fact we all know that trucks pulling triples is a state by state law.

And yup, we've also now found errors in that Towing World chart. As usual, never believe 100% what is posted on an internet forum. Many of us have made factual errors when posting on these forums and I tend to make way more than others. Yet I continue to participate. I'm not sure why even though I try hard not to. Sorry about that, folks. I'll keep quiet now.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

You need to use the correct terminology to get the right answer. A motorhome pulling a car, Jeep, trailer is single towing. Hooking something behind that first towed vehicle is doubles. The terminology applies to the number of vehicles in tow, NOT including what is doing the towing.

Call the highway patrol in the state you're interested in to get the correct answer.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote