Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation If the ball shank is small the nut won't hold

Back from our cross country adventure with new lessons learned.
  1. Never just accept the hitch assembly you are given
  2. The ball shank must be the same diameter as the opening in the ball mount
  3. Never reuse a damaged ball mount
  4. Tow chains, use them
  5. State Farm highway Safety Patrol in Louisiana are nice and helpful

Went to the parts store to get a ball mount and trailer ball for the Motorhome. Took what I was given and installed. All was great until 400 miles later a nice passing motorist indicates something is wrong with my tow dolly. A look in the rear view camera confirms the dolly is swinging on the tow chains.

After a slow pull over and stop, I find the ball is still secure in the trailer coupler, but the nut is missing. A short trip to the auto parts store with the correct sized trailer ball purchased and installed, back to the dolly on the side of the road, pick it up, and we are off again. Only to have it happen again the next day another 500 miles later.

This time I replaced the ball mount, trailer ball assembly, and tow chains as one of the two has now worn off. The State Farm Safety Patrol was at the dolly when I returned and helped me get lined up and pick up the dolly again. This assembly has now lasted 3000 miles with no issues.

What caused this headache for me? Mismatched ball mount and trailer ball. The shaft on the original trailer ball was of a smaller diameter than the opening on the ball mount. As we traveled, it shifted in the opening and worked the nut loose. The second time, I selected the correctly sized trailer ball, but the ball mount opening had been damaged and worn in to the shape of a bowl rather than a cylinder. This again allowed the trailer ball to rock and shift as we traveled, and it worked the nut off again. I wish I had pictures to show you, but I was so frustrated on day two that I left all of the damaged parts on the desk at the Napa parts store.

Double check your parts and make sure they are correct the first time!
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There should have been a shim (not sure of the correct name, maybe a sleeve?) that came with the ball. Basically a flat piece of metal bent in a circle that allows the ball to fit a different size hole. Absent that the ball will shift and bad things will happen. Oh, and that shim should not be taller than the metal of the hole area.

Beyond that though, the ball probably requires a lot of torque, so you really need to use a good size torque wrench to properly install the ball.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Glad you got it fixed. You were really lucky that didn't do much worse.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for sharing. Nothing's easy. Just add this to what keeps you awake at night.