Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #61

You won't bend or ruin your towbar by "turning too far". You might hit your motorhome with your toad though!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #62
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, been out for a while. Didn't mean to post and run. I have to tell you my experience is limited to looking at my tow bar on the floor in my basement. I'm still waiting for my tow vehicle to show up (on order). I did notice that the tow bar I have has a limit on how far it will pivot from left to right before hitting against the side bars, which is less than 90 deg. So I don't know if the tow vehicle would be close enough to hit the MH or against the stops. I'm glad I read this post before just hooking up and driving down the road. I will be a little more careful in my pre-trip check. Thanks all for your input.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #63
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
You won't bend or ruin your towbar by "turning too far". You might hit your motorhome with your toad though!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree 100%. I've maxed out the turn and no damage has occured to the towbar. I have hit the bottom of the ladder I carry but nothing else.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #64
Winnebago Camper

61 replies!!!! You guys are keeping me up all night its like reading a good book.

I will be towing for the first time this year and I am glad I found this post. I watched my brother hook his toad up and noticed that both arms dont lock until you do some wiggling. Interesting stuff.

Steve
Old 03-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #65
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don G:
I did notice that the tow bar I have has a limit on how far it will pivot from left to right before hitting against the side bars, which is less than 90 deg. So I don't know if the tow vehicle would be close enough to hit the MH or against the stops. I'm glad I read this post before just hooking up and driving down the road. I will be a little more careful in my pre-trip check. Thanks all for your input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Roadmaster Sterling has 2 holes in the 2" bar that fits in the receiver. Thus I can extend the towed vehicle from the motorhome if needed. I've always used the hole that places the car closest to the motorhome and never had a problem.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #66
Winnebago Owner

Quote from the Blue Ox Tow Bar manual:

4. On the towed vehicle disengage parking brake
and set up the transmission for towing, see
Safety section on Page 1 and unlock the
steering wheel. Pull forward with the towing
vehicle until one of the locking handles are
engaged and locked. (When locked they will
"pop" up)
NOTE: If only one locking handle is locked,
turn the top of the towed vehicle's steering
wheel towards the unlocked tow bar leg
approximately 1/2 to 3/4 turn, before
continuing forward. Pull the towing vehicle
forward one to two feet until the leg locks into
place. IMPORTANT: Check to insure both
legs are latched properly before towing.

The manual further states:

"9. Do Not Back Up when towing. Damage to
both vehicles and towing system may occur.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #67
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ARNE-T:
Unfortunately my Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow-bar is already on the scrap heap, so I cannot post a picture. As best I can describe it, the (heavy duty) triangular piece of metal to which the two tow bars were attached wast twisted. This caused a 1/2" tear on the right side if the plate. I found the problem when I was unable to placethe tow-bar into its folded storage position.

Hope this helps.

arne </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the Falcon 2 tow bar. I'm in the practice now of backing up the toad before and locking the bar(s) before leaving the camp site now. I had a scary instance about 2 weeks ago where I did not do this, and when leaving a flat camp site then to proceed down a slight grade, one of the bars did not lock when I pulled out of the camp site. I thought I had ruined my bar, as the Explorer pushed up against the bar on one side, but it looks to have survived - no damage. So for now and ever on, the toad will be moved back to lock before I move the MH forward. A close call. Sorry to hear your loss.

I take it you did not stay with the Falcon 2, or?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #68
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The manual further states:

"9. Do Not Back Up when towing. Damage to
both vehicles and towing system may occur. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahaha!!! ...uh...

I found this out when I was trying out the towbar this past vacation. I was trying to back up a bit in the driveway to a flatter position until we were ready to leave the next morning.

All of a sudden the DW comes running out yelling at me to stop. She told me the Jeep front wheels were bent to the left.

I put the MH trans in neutral with the brakes on and got out to look. I had backed up about 6' (apparently 4' is about the MAX) and the Jeep front axle had turned full left lock and the MH had been "skidding" the Jeep backwards about 4'-5' as witnessed by the nice black tire marks on the driveway...

It didn't damage anything, my towbar brackets held up beautifully, as did the towbar and all that happened was I was a bit embarassed and learned something new.

I called my FIL and he said, "You didn't know that?" "You can only back up a MAX of around 4' before the toads wheels will do that."

My response was something along the lines of DOH!!!

Anyway, my DW and I had a good laugh. I will say that the Stowmaster is built tough...as are my extended custom mounts!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #69
Winnebago Owner

After reading the posts from march, and looking at the Blueox website my method is to pull forward on a straight pull and then either myself or DW check th see that the levers are where they shouild be. This even though I hear the clicks on the rear camera/tv speaker set in the coach. Lemmie see...an ounce of prevention is...well you know.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:05 AM   #70
Winnebago Watcher

My wife does not drive the MH but she does drive it forward a few feet to lock the bars as I watch to make sure they both lock up. We always ease the toad back to lock one arm, crank the wheel toward the unlocked arm, and then drive the MH forward to lock the other. Nothing fast or hard. Real easy. Blue Ox tow bar. This is not backing up while towing... Backing up while towing is backing the Mh with toad attached. Anyway it is how we do it.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #71
Winnie-Wise

I turn my rear camera's volume up to max and I can hear the 2 clicks very clearly. Can also see that the bars look aligned.
Once I didn't hear but one click and something looked strange so I went out back to look...the dummy that hooked it up had failed to connect one bar. I chastised that dummy unmercifully and I assued myself that I would never do that again.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #72
Winnebago Camper

I hook up the Blue Ox and and like Pam and Joe my wife backs up the toad, I watch for one arm to lock. I then set the toad for towing, Remco, e-brake off, Auto trans in park and key in unlock position. I turn the toad wheel about 3/4 turn towards the un-locked arm, my wife now pulls the MH forward about 3 feet and I watch the other arm engage. Total time about 5 min.

Toad is a 04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
SocalHodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #73
Winnebago Camper

I hook up on a straight and level spot, then have copilot pull the coach forward; it only takes two or three feet, and you can see both arms lock. I can also just push the Saturn back by hand, and see them both lock, also, but I actually prefer watching while the coach pulls tight. Since the coach is going to be doing the pulling, just seems the right way to go. Double checking everything then takes all of 90 seconds, and who can tally up the grief it saves?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #74
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I do not have anyone to check things or pull forward so I can check things out. I have a Falcon2 tow bar and have been very happy with it. I can push or pull my little Suzuki to get it closer to the motorhome. I "feel" it lock in place when I (very slowly) pull away and I check it out when I turn a corner (in three blocks). I heard never to back up, but I got caught at a gas station once when someone pulled in front of me blocking my exit. I inched backwards about 5 feet so I could turn down another lane and get out.

Thanks for all the discussion here. I would much rather learn from someone else's mistakes rather than having to make them all myself. I do my share!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #75
Winnebago Camper

I'm not surprised that this topic has gone on so long. It is a critical part of safe towing. I slowly pull the motorhome forward until both arms are locked, turning in the direction of the unlocked arm if necessary, while Rick watches it lock. Part of our Honda CR-V instructions says we must not go from reverse to neutral so we always refrain from putting the toad into reverse during the hook up process.

For about the first 8 months of driving the motorhome we did not have a toad so I got very used to backing up the motorhome whenever needed. And it was so easy I never gave it any thought. Just did it. When we started towing I was afraid I'd forget I was towing so I put a small post-it flag or taped a small piece of paper over the 'R' on the shift pad. It made sure I thought about backing up before I just did it.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote